Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

ravnaz

I have the OG version of Skyrim on Steam and despite starting it a couple of times never got that far as it slipped down the priority list. What's the best way to play it now: mod up the original, get the enhanced edition from a few years back or go for this? 

10 minutes ago, Vimster said:

I have the OG version of Skyrim on Steam and despite starting it a couple of times never got that far as it slipped down the priority list. What's the best way to play it now: mod up the original, get the enhanced edition from a few years back or go for this? 

VR, if you can.

3 hours ago, Mr.Crowley said:

I'm probably beating a dead (but extremely profitable) dead horse, I think Skyrim has aged pretty badly. No amount of mods can disguise the grey, lifeless textures and frankly, shallow systems.

I don't know about that.

There's also a whole spectrum of established mods that either slightly improve, vastly improve, or replace the game mechanics entirely.

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

How do you know when the Anniversary Edition had downloaded and installed ? Does the dashboard icon update? 

On mine the dashboard icon is the same but the dragon diamond logo on the main menu screen is gold rather than the usual grey/silver colour.

Well, started Skyrim again for the umpteenth time, going to go with a two handed warrior type this time, I’m not sure of any noticeable improvements graphically, things do look and run solid and loading times are almost non existent. 

Cant believe it’s been ten years, where had that time gone? Still, Xbox 360, Xbone, Switch and now Series S, they keep bringing me back. I disagree with a poster above saying it’s looking aged, I think it’s fits what it’s trying to achieve perfectly, it’s looks like Skyrim. It’s look just compliments it’s world so well. Also like the non handholding introduction, no overtly patronising tutorial, the controls are introduced to the player seamlessly and doesn’t treat him/her like an idiot. And that score, always a wonderful thing. Plays like a game way ahead of it’s time. 

The only real limitations I see are in variation in dungeon layouts and designs. I’d expect the next game to have indoor environments that feel much more individual to the location. On that subject one thing I never expected when I picked up Skyrim at launch on 11.11.11 is that ten years later and the next game is still no where close to being seen. What the actual fuck Bethesda? :( 

What is the Skyrim Anniversary Edition?

The Skyrim Anniversary Edition bundles together Skyrim Special Edition with every piece of Creation Club content released at the time of the Anniversary Edition’s launch, including additional quests, armor and gameplay modes.
Players who already own Skyrim Special Edition may choose to purchase just the Anniversary Upgrade, which includes all the Creation Club creation content mentioned above in one convenient, high-value bundle.

So, nothing much added and they've gone and recompiled the code with newer tools (so now incompatible with Oldrim and SE). Mods needing SKSE or code injection will not work for a bit. Also, still no HDR!

I think I paid £21 for the disc version of the original back in the day. Somehow this anniversary edition costs £43. Crazy.

Here's a link to the music celebration minus the annoying people who were talking over the live stream version.

Seems there is pretty much no difference with the next gen upgrade if you are playing on PS5 and series X, because they were already running updated code to display at 4k (from the Pro and one X upgrades). They are both now 60fps, but that was already the case on sX as there was an FPS boost released for it, and on PS5 there was a mod you could enable. I 'think' the load times are faster now though, certainly playing on the series X it's very quick.

I think the only place you are going to see a big difference is the series S which was still running the one (S) code path so didn't have any of the one X upgrades (although it did have FPS boost), so you are probably going to get a much higher resolution.

The improved loading times are purely down to the new hardware - and that alone. I bet that particular optimisation took absolutely zero work on their part. Skyrim has loaded near instantly for me, too, ever since I moved to an SSD back in 2012. With my latest NVMe I had to mod out the loading screen hints/models to prevent them from flickering into view for a split second.

It should actually be possible today to make entering buildings and dungeons seamless, much like that Open Cities mod. That, of course, would require man/people hours and effort.

Aye stuck it on at 1 am this morning. Next thing its 3 am I 've done Bleak Falls Barrow and killed a Dragon etc...

I did bleak falls like a pro ninja. It was almost as if I'd started this game at least 20 times in the last 10 years. 

8b2qFsN.jpeg

Now is not the time to be starting up Skyrim, It looks really good though...

It’s the most atmospheric game ever. Walking around the countryside near Riften, the mist in the air, the leaves falling and traveling with the breeze, the cold peaks in the distance. Definitely the most impressive console version of skyrim I’ve played.

So much to do with the new content too, as if Skyrim wasn’t over whelming enough. Been playing for a few hours and have a homestead outside Whiften, a pet rabbit and a farm I need to sort out. 

On 12/11/2021 at 00:04, Oh Danny Boy said:

On that subject one thing I never expected when I picked up Skyrim at launch on 11.11.11 is that ten years later and the next game is still no where close to being seen. What the actual fuck Bethesda? :( 

To be fair, they've been busy driving Fallout into the dirt.

I tried to put this on at the weekend for the first time in ages but it looks like a lot of my saves have disappeared.

There was a load from 2016 with a level 14 character then a big gap in time to a few from 2020 where I started a new game so only at level 1.

I had a kajhit character at level 30 plus which was the one I wanted to resurrect but he's totally not there anymore. 

Looks like I'll have to start over, AGAIN! ☺️

Well it's lovely to be back in the world - only up to Whiterun and nothing screams "NEW CONTENT!" yet (although that backpacks. Thanks!)

But it's just nice to be back in the world pootering around. I said I'd try to be different this time but I can already feel myself going Arcane Archer.

Again.

For the 3rd time.

I fired this up on PS5 to see what it looked like. Looked pretty much the same, but that's maybe no bad thing after the GTA fiasco. I was settling down to start a brand new game, then it crashed during the cart ride! Great work, guys.

(I'll go back to it I'm sure)

It looked the same but crisp/clean and loads silly quickly (although the dream of seamless transition between doors isn't there yet).

I quite like it as someone with bad eyes, crisp/clear obvious "graphics" rather than photo realism is easy