IGNORED

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

ravnaz

36 minutes ago, df0 said:

About factions, does Skyrim warn you when factions clash? I aim to join the Thieves, does that come with certain preparations?

Well, the thieves like you to keep it clean and quiet if at all possible - in and out with the swag basically.  From my first play through I don't recall any outright or unresolvable conflicts with other major guild quest lines - companions, mages or assassins (e.g if you are tasked by the DB to kill a member of the thieves guild).

Edited by Cosmic_Guru

I don't think there are any major conflicts to speak of. The only thing I can think of is that right at the end of the Stormcloak and Imperial quest lines you have to make a commitment to their respective faction.  After that you will be hated by the other faction. But you can still play 90% of both these storylines IIRC.

11 hours ago, Stanley said:

I'd love to get a good PC and play this at 60fps, 4K etc. On the other hand I'm sure once Scorpio is out it will receive an update. Very interested to see if there's any PS4 Pro options.

My laptop can do 60fps for the indoor parts, but the outdoors are unplayable as it drops below 30. :( That said I've not played with the ini files yet.

I think giving this away for free to owners of the Legendary Edition is fair enough, you can easily get old Skyrim 'looking' way better than this with a texture overhaul and a fancy ENB - however it's extremely unstable.

8 hours ago, Karzee said:

Well the Frostfall, Campfire, iNeed Food & Water & Sleep, and Wet & Cold mods have radically changed the way I play Skyrim. Set on the toughest settings I've died so much just learning the mechanics of surviving that I've ignored the main quest altogether and focussed on how to get from A to B without dying. Exposure is obviously the biggest danger. In the lower sea-level places it's fine and you just focus on eating/drinking/sleeping to keep your stats up (Magika/Health/Stamina all take a hit the longer you abstain) but start moving into the higher colder areas then keeping warm becomes a major issue. You actually plan for the journey ahead, making sure you have chopped some firewood (you can collect dead wood and branches but they don't make as big a fire), make some soups & stews to add a +20 of warmth when you need it, and have your warmest cloths (fur) on and your tent/bedroll with you. Time of day is important (colder at night), plus in case of a  blizzard you need to be thinking quickly about shelter. Do you push onward to an undiscovered cave nearby (that might have enemies nearby (exposure continues to get worse during combat on the hardest setting) or erect your tent and make a campfire (if you're 'Freezing to death' you better be quick and hope the fire lights).

Oh and don't think about swimming across the river by Windhelm. Last night I picked up a simple quest to worship at Azura's shrine up on top of a nearby mountain and have died twice in the attempt. I tried walking across the ice as far as possible then jumping in the water to swim ashore. While swimming my temperature dropped so FAST I was 'Freezing' midway then as I struggled out of the water on shore (you move slower when cold and the screen gets blurry) I was 'Freezing to Death'. My only chance of survival was to light a fire, and was just in the process of doing so when a bloody dragon decided that was the moment to say hello. It landed close by and killed me with one blast of it's icy breath. I haven't figured out all the nuances of how to keep warm yet but these mods make every journey meaningful. Hunting for meat and buying vegetables from Inns on your trip up a mountain so you can make your warming soups/stews (a varied diet is also important otherwise you can get sick) in your cooking pot when your set up camp, filling up your water bottles, taking time to forage for deadwood/branches (do this when warm rather when freezing) so you're as prepared as you can be, all goes to add this layer of realism where you really need to think to survive, which goes beyond just killing enemies because now the land and climate of Skyrim comes into the game.

Another mod I have makes the difficulty more realistic (it says), it adjusts the Legendary difficulty so the enemies don't become arrow-sponges but at the same time I can be killed with just a few hits. Last night I decided to buy a horse and headed out. A bear comes out of the undergrowth and runs towards me, I ride my horse into nearest river (the horse swims, and because you're riding on it's back you don't incur the freezing water penalty) and cross to the other side, then moments later a sabre toothed cat came out of nowhere and killed my horse with one strike, I fall off the horse and the cat killed me with one strike as I was standing up. Fun? I'm not sure, but I love that you need to travel wide eyed for any danger.

But here's the thing, after doing all the above, going out into the harsh cold to climb a mountain, facing all the dangers and are lucky enough to survive, you come down to the woods or green pastures, the sun going down and the stars coming out, and you're tired. So you pitch the tent YOU crafted, make a campfire using materials that YOU collected, set up your cooking pot that YOU crafted, and cook yourself a meal using meat that YOU hunted, then, before your crawl into your bedroll for some much needed sleep, you sit down by the gently crackling fire, reflecting on your journey while looking out across the land and up at the Northern lights, and there's this wonderful sense of satisfaction that you survived a single day in Skyrim.

Then a werewolf jumps on you. 

I'm glad more and more people are experiencing the way I play Skyrim.

I think you're only missing Hunterborn now, right?

Fucking seriously tempted to get an XB1, despite already having this set up on my PC, along with Fallout3 that I recently modded up to the tits as well... argh.

Once you start a quest, does the enemy level stick? Reason I ask is that I have left a few quest dungeons because they were too tough. Whe I return in 5 levels will they be easier? For some reason those dwarven mechanical walking ballsacks are kicking my arse. 

12 hours ago, NickC said:

I don't think there are any major conflicts to speak of. The only thing I can think of is that right at the end of the Stormcloak and Imperial quest lines you have to make a commitment to their respective faction.  After that you will be hated by the other faction. But you can still play 90% of both these storylines IIRC.

Hmm.  I just started the Imperial quest line and it looks like I just made my oath to the Empire in mission 2.  So it looks like the decisions comes much earlier than I said before.

15 hours ago, JPickford said:

I have the original version,  bought on Steam.  I don't think the new one is free though.

EDIT:  Apparently if I buy all the DLC I get the new one.

I think this deal was only valid until last Friday. That may have changed though.

I've never finished skyrim. I loved it, but I had it on release (11.11.11 - Jesus, so long ago now!) but, after getting pretty far, I encountered the ps3 bug where your save kept getting exponentially big and eventually stopped working. I never went back to it, despite re-buying the game of the year edition with all dlc on pc, with the intention of modding it. I tried with Nexus mods etc but it was all too confusing so I gave up again. 

Must go back to it, one day. 

7 hours ago, Stanley said:

Am I right in thinking the only way to enchant your weapons, armour etc is by finding an item already enchanted and disenchanting it's power?  I mean you can't learn to enchant them yourself?

I've enchanted my sword this way so far.

Correct - you need to dismantle an item with a new type of enchantment in order to be able to craft that enchantment yourself.   It's always worth swinging by a table just to see if there is something new in the loot you have recently grabbed (this also gives you a skill bump). The power you achieve when enchanting armour / jewellry will depend on the size of the soul gem and your skill level (via perks).  Of course, you will do your enchanting whilst wearing some jewellery which gives you an enchanting skill enhancement..

In other news, work has finally started on the House Beautiful in the Pale (the Jarl won't grant access until you reach level 22 since he is under the misapprehension that ogres need someone of that level to take them down - they certainly do not with the appropriate helpers on board).

Incredibly, yet to set foot in

Solitude

Windhelm

Morthal

Markarth (except for an involuntary visit ;))

Well I wasn't going to get it, but I did get it at a very reasonable price last night. On PS4, so not the best mods but there's still some interesting ones available. I was hoping to find one to skip the prologue tutorial section but I guess that's a limitation. Anyway, I need to find the decent PS4 mods now, any suggestions? 

Yeah, if you have all the DLC (bought separately or the Legendary Edition) then it's a free upgrade.

Better lighting, god rays, some particle affects I think.  It looks a little prettier.  What it doesn't have is any specific enhancements to gameplay, UI and the like.  But now that it's 64 bit the modding support will be even better as people move the mods over and create new/better ones.

On 02/11/2016 at 12:02, df0 said:

I'd love to join the Thieves guild as a sneaky archer. Where is the Thieves guild located?

When you go to Riften, go to the centre where the markets are. A man called Brynjolf will talk to you, which will activate the first quest. Whether you succeed or not, you'd be able to join :)

After installing a couple of mods on PS4 (Darkness Falls and one that gives extra lanterns on roads) it says that trophies have been disabled.  Although I'm not really fussed about such things, just curious, are they re-enabled if I disable the mods?

Thanks

8 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I've never finished skyrim. I loved it, but I had it on release (11.11.11 - Jesus, so long ago now!) but, after getting pretty far, I encountered the ps3 bug where your save kept getting exponentially big and eventually stopped working. I never went back to it, despite re-buying the game of the year edition with all dlc on pc, with the intention of modding it. I tried with Nexus mods etc but it was all too confusing so I gave up again. 

Must go back to it, one day. 

I put 100 hours into it on the 360, and barely touched the main story.

Then, for some reason, I stopped playing and never went back :( I must have moved on to something else, but I can't remember what.

I would like to play it again. I did enjoy it far more than my much shorter (and also unfinished) time with The Witcher 3, partly for the reasons LeChuck mentioned earlier regarding player character.

Dead Body Collision Fix is now available for all platforms. Bodies become solid entities. A very small mod, should integrate painlessly.

Here's a screen I took of it a while back:

HXxiJdV.jpg

Oh wow! Static Mesh Improvement Mod is also up for PC and Xbox! This increases the poly count for pretty much every object within the game with a minimal hit to performance. Check it out.

4e63152e-8925-45c6-ab53-676329a4c7e9_pre

I caved and purchased an XBoneS for this at my local Gamestop. Only to find out that Skyrim SE came free with the console (in addition to Gears 4 that was part of the bundle). Not sure how long this bundle will last though, even the salesperson didn't seem to know about it until he rang everything up and it dropped the price of Skyrim down to zero.

I finally started playing this again (after a bit of hassle transferring saves, and getting mods set up on PC again..) and was frustrated that in the settings you can either use a mouse, or a Joypad.

Not at the same time though, turning on turns off the other.  Kinda killed my buzz because for this kind of game I love the steam controller, when you can use it properly.  Wonder if there's a mod that fixes this?  There's ways to emulate a mouse but output a joystick on the steam controller but it's not the same, so I guess I'll have to try and map the joypad to WASD or something.  I guess you don't really need analogue walking, but there we go.  Just came in for a whinge, I don't know what the uptake of the steam controller is but I hope devs recognise that control schemes shouldn't be mutually exclusive, because PC people like to dick around!0