rllmuk

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

@majora

You're probably doing all the miscellaneous quests, which funnel you into dungeons you haven't been to yet. There are a fair few dungeon crawls either way, but the named quests tend to take you through the bigger dungeons with story/setpiece stuff. I know what you mean though, there's nothing as open and player-choice focused as tenpenny tower yet. I've been dicking around dipping my toe into everything though, the only thing I've gone into deeply was the mage quest which was really good and not confined to dungeon crawls (though involved two really good dungeons)

Yeah I'm doing the mage questline now. I recently did a really good set-piece dungeon as part of that quest but I feel like I've spent most of the game clearing out enemies in dungeons. I'm hoping for more character/town based quests but I haven't really come across any yet. I thought the rivalry between the Battle-Borns and the other family was going to be one, but then it sends you to a fort after doing the first stage of it. I did the one involving the waitress at the pub which rapidly sent you to a cave, and the tree one which also ended up sending you to a cave. I don't mean to sound too down on it, I just keep hoping there'll be a quest which doesn't end up sending you to a location full of enemies halfway across the map. Stuff more like Tenpenny Towers or all the stuff in Rivet City in Fallout.

The dungeons in this are infinitely better than Oblivion's though. I honestly couldn't be bothered doing more than a couple in Oblivion.

So I set out from Riften to do a quest in a nearby manor out in the country. Of course, this being this game, I notice a beautiful waterfall, with what looks like a ruined structure atop the mountain the waterfall is falling from. So I decide to climb it and now I'm raiding a wonderfully creepy dungeon looking for an ancient treasure. The dungeon has a rather intricate backstory too. I've done 30 hours, still haven't gone to the greybeards yet, and have hardly done any dungeons! Spent ages in Riften doing all the little things around there, made some headway on the Thieves Guild too (really fun so far).

Game of the century.

Yeah I'm doing the mage questline now. I recently did a really good set-piece dungeon as part of that quest but I feel like I've spent most of the game clearing out enemies in dungeons. I'm hoping for more character/town based quests but I haven't really come across any yet. I thought the rivalry between the Battle-Borns and the other family was going to be one, but then it sends you to a fort after doing the first stage of it. I did the one involving the waitress at the pub which rapidly sent you to a cave, and the tree one which also ended up sending you to a cave. I don't mean to sound too down on it, I just keep hoping there'll be a quest which doesn't end up sending you to a location full of enemies halfway across the map. Stuff more like Tenpenny Towers or all the stuff in Rivet City in Fallout.

The dungeons in this are infinitely better than Oblivion's though. I honestly couldn't be bothered doing more than a couple in Oblivion.

Agreed, there's not much decision making going on at the moment, other than 'yes I'll clear out that dungeon' and 'no, I haven't got time to clear out that dungeon' :lol:

The combat is so satisfying in this, it makes the dungeons completely worth it. I had sacked off my magic, favoring archery and mace/shield, but as I am doing the mage arc I have vowed only to use magic. It's fucking hilarious. I basically Benny Hill everyone casting various spells on them and healing. It's definitely a different way to play. I couldn't stomach playing the whole game like this though. Is anyone playing with a 2 handed build? I had a play and it was brutal, I insta-killed 2 guys by spearing my sword on their stomach and out their mouth straight in a row!

Im sick of having to use the cumbersome menus to change my active spells... Its really bringing the whole thing down for me. Right now this is my experience....

- Area is too dark- switch to light spell and cast.

- baddies ahoy- switch to twin firebolts and commence battle!

- crap outta mana- switch to a mace whilst it recharges.

- battle done but now my light spell has worn off... Goto step 1 & repeat.

It seems like im spending too much time faffing with bloody menus... Yes i use the favourites stuff... Its still crappy.

Also im sick to death of my companion blocking me in doorways.... Grrrrr

Anyone got any tips on how to avoid menuitis????

• Upvote 1

There are some hilariously bad user reviews on metacritic. One guy complains after smithing 1000 iron daggers he could craft the best weapons in the game. I have no idea of the mentality of an individual who could spend so long doing something so mundane. A lot of PC users also pan the graphics citing it was built for consoles 'low pipe count' I can only assume they have shitty, shitty rigs.

Im sick of having to use the cumbersome menus to change my active spells... Its really bringing the whole thing down for me. Right now this is my experience...

If you are playing with a controller assign favorites in the main menu, then when you press up on the d-pad you get a little list of the weapons/spells/shouts you have favored. Then whilst in that menu press and hold left and right on the d-pad to assign a weapon/spell to that direction, denoted by a 1 and 2. So you can then flick between two sets of weapons very quickly or go into the favorites menu if you want to spice it up a little.

• Upvote 4

Oh man. Lydia died tonight. I actually felt pretty bad. :(

It was lonely and scarey trying to get to Riften. I suddenly have to run away from everything. Especially bears.

I miss her. I tried carrying her naked body with me to Riften, so she could continue to keep me warm at night. But I got busted pickpocketing for the first time, paid the fine and got teleported to Riften immediately.

Lydia. I loved you.

• Upvote 2

On the In My Time of Need quest I am stuck due to a glitch;

I bribe the guard 100 gold to let the prisoner out and nothing happens. Anyone else encounter this?

In my case it took a while for one of the guards to open the cell. But you don't need to wait for that - you can just talk to the guy and tell him his thing's paid off.

In my case it took a while for one of the guards to open the cell. But you don't need to wait for that - you can just talk to the guy and tell him his thing's paid off.

I've talked to the guy again loads and he just says the same thing, guards dont go near the cell after they are paid either.

I've reloaded before going in the prison a few times and tried it again after turning the 360 off and on!

I'm really getting into this game but this is souring it for me, I hope too many quests don't have these potential faults :(

If you are playing with a controller assign favorites in the main menu, then when you press up on the d-pad you get a little list of the weapons/spells/shouts you have favored. Then whilst in that menu press and hold left and right on the d-pad to assign a weapon/spell to that direction, denoted by a 1 and 2. So you can then flick between two sets of weapons very quickly or go into the favorites menu if you want to spice it up a little.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

• Upvote 2

Im sick of having to use the cumbersome menus to change my active spells... Its really bringing the whole thing down for me. Right now this is my experience....

- Area is too dark- switch to light spell and cast.

- baddies ahoy- switch to twin firebolts and commence battle!

- crap outta mana- switch to a mace whilst it recharges.

- battle done but now my light spell has worn off... Goto step 1 & repeat.

It seems like im spending too much time faffing with bloody menus... Yes i use the favourites stuff... Its still crappy.

Also im sick to death of my companion blocking me in doorways.... Grrrrr

Play it on a keyboard and mouse and hotkey nine spells :D

I'm playing with a pad, I'm thinking of the menu like VATS or switching to my PIP boy. Admittedly I spend 90% of the time running around with two spells hotkeyed and switching between them. I reassign my favourites at the start of some battles, for example if I'm fighting a frosty dragon I remove all ice offensive spells and replace with fire spells. It only takes a few seconds, but I agree it's not ideal given the number of spells and shouts and powers you have once you've levelled for a while.

As already said, hotkeys are your friend. Shame you can't put them on diagonals or use a modifier really.

I tell you what, something that I've been impressed with, which is often overlooked, is the sound design. It's superb, and really makes you feel like you're there, with loads of great little subtle touches.

It's fantastic. I really love the way the epic music fades in, especially when you encounter a dragon. It can be a bit strange when you are in a dungeon and it's just starting to fade in as you slay the fiends and it disappears. Sometimes I wish it would build up a bit more to the final boss.

I tell you what, something that I've been impressed with, which is often overlooked, is the sound design. It's superb, and really makes you feel like you're there, with loads of great little subtle touches.

I was thinking this today, especially all the different casting sounds. The fireball spell sounds like a runaway freight train colliding with a semtex factory during a thunderstorm.

• Upvote 1

So I finally got round to taking a screenshot of my character:

ScreenShot8.jpg

After getting really frustrated with the mana cost of Destruction spells I went on an Enchanting binge, got it to 100, got all the perks down the centre line and double enchanted a full set of gear. The result is amongst other things, 98% spell cost reduction for Destruction spells, 42% magic resistance with an additional 41% of shock/fire resistance. Adding in the 30% magic resistance I get from Alteration makes me immune to most magic I think! Here's my most expensive Destruction spell now:

ScreenShot9.jpg

Also a bonus picture of Jarl chillaxing in his chair:

ScreenShot6.jpg

• Upvote 4

I ventured into the southeast part of the map for the first time, to get that tree sap. I reached a place where a random dragon encounter happened. Tense! But then as soon as I'd killed that dragon, another one came from exactly the same direction, with the same dragon head icon on the compass. After I'd killed that one the icon on the compass was still there. I didn't stick around, but would an endless number of dragons come from there?

Also: I must find out what dragon bones and dragon scales are supposed to be used for. They're so heavy. I saved up and bought my first house just so I'd have a locker to put them in.

Also: my ploy to provoke a dragon and then run to a Giant's camp backfired when the giants started running after me once the dragon was dead!

I too want to know what dragons bones and scales are used for. Apart from selling?

Also. How do I get to winterhold easily? I starting trekking but kept running into things what killed me. I'm level 9 at the mo. I want to do the mage quest chain.

I ventured into the southeast part of the map for the first time, to get that tree sap. I reached a place where a random dragon encounter happened. Tense! But then as soon as I'd killed that dragon, another one came from exactly the same direction, with the same dragon head icon on the compass. After I'd killed that one the icon on the compass was still there. I didn't stick around, but would an endless number of dragons come from there?

The icon -

is for a dragon shrine, which normally has a shout, and yep, you guessed it a dragon to fight

Also: I must find out what dragon bones and dragon scales are supposed to be used for. They're so heavy. I saved up and bought my first house just so I'd have a locker to put them in.

Hint:

check the smithy perk tree