rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Stolly

Wii2 - what can Nintendo do next?

Integrating Facebook and Twitter into games sounds like something an out-of-touch marketing person suggests as a USP to try stay relevant, despite being totally useless gimmick that very few people would use. I mean, Facebook and Twitter are cool, right?

Nintendo's online offering should be better, because it's shocking at the moment. But I don't see it as a compelling selling point for a new console, because I don't think the largest portion target audience cares about online gaming, or can be made to care about online gaming. It's a niche within a niche, and isn't the Wii's audience.

The suggestion for Facebook and Twitter and stuff isn't aimed at Nintendo though, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with Nintendo's business, they make great games that never need to drop in price and continue selling, they make cheap but profitable hardware that sells incredibly well, and is still at its launch price.

This stuff is to get third parties on board, developers that would have been working with Nintendo on the Wii, but went off and targetted that same audience segment - the one that sees gaming as just another activity, rather than a hobby - through Apps or Facebook games.

To get them back they need concessions, a more flexible store platform with support for new business models, social media integration, a relaxation on some of Nintendos certification procedures, etc. DSIware already gets some iPhone game ports, like Flight Control, that's why doing the same with WiiWare from iPad could be a good idea. Nintendo have said Apple is their biggest rival nowadays, and they need to fire a few shots across the bow, basically.

I don't think the Wii really needs any new method of interaction, you can see that people who do are thinking "motion control = gimmick" therefore "Wii2 = new gimmick", and oddly enough, many of these same faces were in the "I miss the new generation" thread, arguing against the idea that a new generation needed new anything other than shinier graphics :facepalm:

But the Wiis OS is so hampered by Nintendos poor design choices (there's a 0% chance of a significant overhaul to anything being possible) that such changes would need a new console.

The wii has also been a barren desert as far as rpg's are concerned - monster hunter tri excepting. I'm not sure exactly why this has been the case but I suspect the default wii remote controller was a problem (doesn't MH3 recommmend using a conventional pad?). Given that 75% of the games that I play are rpgs, it would be nice to think that the wii2 will make itself rpg friendly (to both east and west). Obviously a move like controller with its added buttons would work with a first person rpg like fallout 3 and maybe in a mainly shooter driven third person rpg but, all in all, I kind of think that such games are better suited to pads. So wii2 needs a pad from the off.

The Wii has quite a few JRPGs and theres no reason why the controller restricts them... Its not as though they need a lot of buttons.

Again, it's all about lack of shiny

The wii has also been a barren desert as far as rpg's are concerned - monster hunter tri excepting. I'm not sure exactly why this has been the case but I suspect the default wii remote controller was a problem (doesn't MH3 recommmend using a conventional pad?). Given that 75% of the games that I play are rpgs, it would be nice to think that the wii2 will make itself rpg friendly (to both east and west). Obviously a move like controller with its added buttons would work with a first person rpg like fallout 3 and maybe in a mainly shooter driven third person rpg but, all in all, I kind of think that such games are better suited to pads. So wii2 needs a pad from the off.

And no... No pad. That would be a step backwards... RPGs certainly don't need them.

The Wii has quite a few JRPGs and theres no reason why the controller restricts them... Its not as though they need a lot of buttons.

Again, it's all about lack of shiny

And no... No pad. That would be a step backwards... RPGs certainly don't need them.

Also Dragon Quest 10 is coming

Well all the ones I've played did!

And if the wii2 doesn't come with a pad right from the off it also won't attract car driving games either (an old well worn point I know but driving with analogue sticks is far far superior to using a remote side on) or first person shooters for die hard analogue stick shooter fans, come to that.

The only thing the Wii is missing for driving games is analogue shoulder buttons, the analogue stick on the Nunchuck is easily as good as the 360 stick and infinitely better than the Dual Shock stick. I do find it strange that Nintendo haven't attempted to make a new Wave Race/1080 or F-Zero on the console though as the combination of analogue and motion control could make for some interesting possibilities.

Yeah but I think the lack of wave race, 1080 and F-Zero speaks volumes. I love 1080 Avalanche and will shortly be loading it up (on the wii but with my wavebird) to get in the Christmas groove.

I do find it strange that Nintendo haven't attempted to make a new Wave Race/1080 or F-Zero on the console though as the combination of analogue and motion control could make for some interesting possibilities.

me too

It's my only real gripe with Wii. Mario Kart was ace, Excite Truck was cool, but I feel we are owed another Nintendo racer or two this generation.

The way SSX Blur used the nunchuck, combining analogue stick and tilt functionality was brilliant. Similar controls would be perfect for a Wave Race.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that whatever Nintendo comes up with for the Wii2 will be disappointing. The Wii was the right technology in the right place at the right time, and that's unlikely to happen again. Certainly trying to force it by building the console around some other extraordinary input device would be very unwise. I expect it'll be rather like the current Wii, with much-improved control fidelity and inputs a bit closer to the other consoles (albeit split into two controllers), and that the interest will come from the operating system features. They're well behind on "online" now and I'm not sure most Wii owners realise they can get on the internet, so I suppose the centrepiece will be their approach to the web.

The way SSX Blur used the nunchuck, combining analogue stick and tilt functionality was brilliant. Similar controls would be perfect for a Wave Race.

Well although it worked okay I didn't like it - it just felt cack handed

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that whatever Nintendo comes up with for the Wii2 will be disappointing. The Wii was the right technology in the right place at the right time, and that's unlikely to happen again. Certainly trying to force it by building the console around some other extraordinary input device would be very unwise. I expect it'll be rather like the current Wii, with much-improved control fidelity and inputs a bit closer to the other consoles (albeit split into two controllers), and that the interest will come from the operating system features. They're well behind on "online" now and I'm not sure most Wii owners realise they can get on the internet, so I suppose the centrepiece will be their approach to the web.

Hmm, the Wii2 you describe doesn't sound disappointing to me at all. It'd give me a big BONER actually. Better graphics, even more accurate controller and Nintendo games, yeah I'm down with that. Apart from the bit about inputs a bit closer to the other two, that's a stupid idea. Nintendo dominated this gen by not doing that. Why on earth would they go back to any degree?

Online I still don't care for. I never ever want to play Mariokart and be sworn at by a stranger.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hmm, the Wii2 you describe doesn't sound disappointing to me at all. It'd give me a big BONER actually. Better graphics, even more accurate controller and Nintendo games, yeah I'm down with that. Apart from the bit about inputs a bit closer to the other two, that's a stupid idea. Nintendo dominated this gen by not doing that. Why on earth would they go back to any degree?

Online I still don't care for. I never ever want to play Mariokart and be sworn at by a stranger.

It's what I'm looking for, for sure, but I think Kinect and Move are turning this motion control shit into a kind of arms race, and that's going to set people's expectations. There's going to be a magazine posting mockups of how the Wii2 is surely going to adopt some recently-patented, fresh-out-of-the-lab form of smell capture next year.

As a certain Broooce loves to boringly point out, hardware power follows Moore's Law. For the parts budget of the Wii or 360 five years ago, you could make a device many, many times more powerful now. Just by cramming loads of memory in you'd get a massive boost, as 3D games on the iPhone have shown.

I am aware fo Moore'e law. The Wii was already old tech at the time, and the 360 Slim is still nowhere near as small as a Wii though it is a bit cheaper than I suggested. How much juice does $250 get you at that form factor?

I don't think the Wii really needs any new method of interaction, you can see that people who do are thinking "motion control = gimmick" therefore "Wii2 = new gimmick", and oddly enough, many of these same faces were in the "I miss the new generation" thread, arguing against the idea that a new generation needed new anything other than shinier graphics :facepalm:

Nintendo have stated they are in the innovation business. The 3DS had something fairly unexpected. It's wrong to expect a "gimmick" why exactly?

Nintendo have stated they are in the innovation business. The 3DS had something fairly unexpected. It's wrong to expect a "gimmick" why exactly?

Why does the innovation have to be in the form of the interface, why not in other aspects of the console?

It's what I'm looking for, for sure, but I think Kinect and Move are turning this motion control shit into a kind of arms race, and that's going to set people's expectations. There's going to be a magazine posting mockups of how the Wii2 is surely going to adopt some recently-patented, fresh-out-of-the-lab form of smell capture next year.

I don't think so. I think what people here struggle to appreciate is that most people are 100% happy with the Wii's controllers. Sure Wii2 might do something mental but the controllers will look pretty much as they do now. I bet my cock on it.

I don't think so. I think what people here struggle to appreciate is that most people are 100% happy with the Wii's controllers. Sure Wii2 might do something mental but the controllers will look pretty much as they do now. I bet my cock on it.

Your cock on the nunchuck still having a stupid cable? You could lose I suspect :). Like I said before the wii has to launch with a motion sensor wand (and maybe without a motion sensor wand a la kinect), a nunchuch AND an analogue pad though or else its third party support from mainstream (and thats not necessarily hardcore ;)) developers will evaporate before its even started.

Nintendo should go back to carts, but instead use teeny weeny little SD cards or something. Cheap to make, and a cheap/hard to break component for the console. Which means you can have twenty odd (or less) slots for them and you can have either an entire modest games collection in there at once, modular expandable storage for download services (want to download games and put them on a memory card you've bought yourself? go ahead!) and 4-disc spanning JRPGs can now exist without having to have duplicate data on each disk because they're all accessed simultaneously.

Your cock on the nunchuck still having a stupid cable? You could lose I suspect :). Like I said before the wii has to launch with a motion sensor wand (and maybe without a motion sensor wand a la kinect), a nunchuch AND an analogue pad though or else its third party support from mainstream (and thats not necessarily hardcore ;)) developers will evaporate before its even started.

I don't think removing the cable would be conidered a major design change. What i meant was the Wii2 will have a Wiimote and a Nunchuk.

Nintendo should go back to carts, but instead use teeny weeny little SD cards or something. Cheap to make, and a cheap/hard to break component for the console. Which means you can have twenty odd (or less) slots for them and you can have either an entire modest games collection in there at once, modular expandable storage for download services (want to download games and put them on a memory card you've bought yourself? go ahead!) and 4-disc spanning JRPGs can now exist without having to have duplicate data on each disk because they're all accessed simultaneously.

It's all good until you forget which cartridge went into which slot.

I wonder if Nintendo will move more towards more handheld gadgetry, maybe a new hand held console churning out wii graphics with some kind of home docking station to link to the tv? Like an amalgamation of 3ds and wii? SO users can carry on with the same gaming experience on titles they play at home on the big tv?

I wonder if Nintendo will move more towards more handheld gadgetry, maybe a new hand held console churning out wii graphics with some kind of home docking station to link to the tv? Like an amalgamation of 3ds and wii? SO users can carry on with the same gaming experience on titles they play at home on the big tv?

That's always been a promising idea, but I think the need for a constant increase on specs on both handhelds and home consoles means the gap between handheld and console games will never close. We were close when the PSP came out, I suppose.

Why does the innovation have to be in the form of the interface, why not in other aspects of the console?

Who said it was that? You just dismissed "Wii2=new gimmick" in general.

Nintendo will do what they have always done, they will release something that at first seems bizarre but once you understand it, it will just feel natural and right. if you had said 6 years ago that the analog thumb stick would just be an additional peripheral you would have been laughed at.

unfortunately they will also get something wrong, such as online gaming. I also wonder if the wii is just a curious sales peak though. it opened up gaming to a demographic of traditional non gamers, my mother owns a wii and so does my aunt, there are examples of two people who would never have owned another console or shown interest. but for them as long as wii sports, ea tennis and wii fit keep loading they have no interest in buying another console. improved graphics, online, sound, media playback, none of these will entice them.

I love nintendo games, it does irk me that i have to buy a system just to play their franchises, i dearly hope that they do a sega and drop out of the home console hardware market, but they are just too strong in the handheld market to give up on hardware yet. even if they made games that required a bizarre £50 controller i would buy them as their games are brilliant,

Thing is, if Nintendo had stopped doing hardware, we would never have had the wiimote and they'd have to design their games around other peoples controllers... Which is what they don't want to do...

unfortunately they will also get something wrong, such as online gaming. I also wonder if the wii is just a curious sales peak though. it opened up gaming to a demographic of traditional non gamers, my mother owns a wii and so does my aunt, there are examples of two people who would never have owned another console or shown interest. but for them as long as wii sports, ea tennis and wii fit keep loading they have no interest in buying another console. improved graphics, online, sound, media playback, none of these will entice them.

that is stupid. You are being stupid. What about if nintendo come up with something for wii2 that literally blows your aunt's knickers off? We're talking about nintendo here, they have quite a track record for coming up with new ideas that people want to buy. Why do people think they will suddenly after 25 years fail to come up with compelling software?