rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Stolly

Wii2 - what can Nintendo do next?

Maybe not a tablet, but the wii's interface was always reminiscent of the iphone/ipod/ipad. Maybe the Wii2 could form a sort of iPad for the living room by plugging into a tv and running apps in an easy to use ios style environment? The Wii had its web browser and iPlayer but I always felt there was a great deal more potential for this sort of thing.

I'd pay full price for a new Wii if it could cope with HDMI. The exact same console but with HDMI. High resolution but relatively low size screen means my Wii looks terrible. Even native upscaling would help.

One tech which I think would be suited to a Wii follow up, would be something based on the interactive whiteboards.

The Wii could actually project the game, or characters from it out into the real world via a motorised projection system, and you could interact with them via touch. Sure it would be 2D and it would rely on the surface it was projected on, but if they bundled it with an appropriately clever projections surface and some further enhanced motion controls, I think they could create something which could quite comfortably blur the line between the screen and the living room

WHAT'S UNDER THE FLAP? PART TWO

I've no idea really.

Having a problem of "how do we follow this amazing success" is a really nice problem to have, but it's still a problem. It's like how everyone wonders what Blizzard will do with their next MMO.

I don't think they really need to change, they're still doing well, and the third party success thing is because after a while they realised they didn't need Nintendo to target that market and all went and brought Facebook and iPhone game devs. Nintendo have reached a huge audience that don't self-identify as gamers and see games as just another activity to do in the evenings, like watching X Factor or doing the crossword. As much as people bitch and moan, the industry would be a lot less interesting if all three platform holders were in the HD games league making online shooters; the variety is nice and I hope it continues.

I think it'll be a lifestyle software device with some weird peripherals, with improved network stuff, store and so on. They're will be online social network stuff, maybe an ease of porting from iPad and so on, to attract those sorts of small downloadable games and smaller developers into creating stuff for the Wii.

actually nevermind it'll be this

2rdc5s0.png

wii poo lol

Whatever follows the Wii, Nintendo need to give the online sphere a proper stab. In the past it's always been vague comments around not doing it, e.g. "The internet is appropriate when we say it is", but now it's being dragged kicking and screaming into it somewhat. It's rather pessimistic of me to say so, but I reckon that whatever they're doing with the 3DS will probably be nowhere near enough.

As suggested on previous pages, they should go mad with integration with current trends like Facebook or Twitter (and whatever else comes along in the future), merging it with games like Animal Crossing and such, with such games benefitting from a proper online presence (instead of a hole where you move onto 'the internet' bit). Friends codes should die forever, along with Nintendo's insistence in acting as guardians of the realm instead of letting parents pay attention to what their children are shooting up.

A big problem with Nintendo's history has been third party support, now complicated by the success of the Wii:

- at first it was the NES, were developers had to do everything they were told in order to secure proper releases (Seal of Quality).

- I dunno if it continued with the SNES, but that seemed to do quite well in America.

- third parties were sick of the pissing about with cartridges (and associated costs) with the N64, causing a large exodus to the PSone

- half-arsed efforts with the Gamecube lead to a machine without as much support as other machines, which had the bonus of a standardised disc format instead of that ruddy tiny disc thing

- it started alright for the Wii, but now there's little reason for third parties to bother when (i) Nintendo games sell best, and (ii) the third parties are competing with the host company who happen to know every technical trick with the machine, and (iii) if the PS3 and 360 are too expensive to make stuff for, they can easily get cheaper/smaller stuff onto the download services

So now they can make another machine with them holding the keys, and everyone else playing catch-up to Nintendo's technical superiority and wealth of time. What can Nintendo do about that?

The main problem with the Wii is that it not just created a new market, but effectively burned bridges towards the 'old' market. Because of the low specced tech and exotic controller, it was impossible for third party developers to release their HD multiplatform titles on the Wii without either completely rewriting it (with often disastrous results, just look at the Need For Speed Hot Pursuit videos), or severely watering games down (Call of Duty for example which look like a pale ghost of its HD brothers). The early promise was of massive third party support and a lot of innovation due to low development costs. Unfortunately the third party support has mainly been in low cost shovelware, with the A developers just focussing on the HD consoles and the PC, with the junior team working on Petting Zoo 15: Magic Pony Party Island.

Absolute bullshit.

The old market, I guess you mean the hardcore. Nah, the most hardcore titles are actually still on Nintendo consoles. It doesn't get more hardcore than Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Metroid.

Your examples are funny. Call of Duty is hardcore now is it? And Need for Speed. Fucking hell.

Nah what happened was the hardcore weren't actually all that hardcore. They loved HD graphics over pretty much anything.

Just look at how the two James Bond games were treated by EDGE. The HD one gets 50 pages and at the end they go "There's also one for the Wii."

Why did they do this? It must be because of the graphics because the HD one was rubbish.

Hey, it was teh HD guys who all got the sack. Maybe there is something about cheaper development costs afterall?

But they don't need a Wii2. Drop the price of this one and it'll sell for another five years.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Nintendo, for the last 25 years "We make games for everybody!"

Some people until 4 years ago "Nah, you make games for kids"

Nintendo over the last 25 years "We make games for everybody."

Some people from 4 years ago "You don't make games for us anymore boohoohoo"

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

Anyway, as a Nintendo fan I'll tell you what they should do for the next console.

Do away with discs. Fucking hell I can't believe we're sliding little shiny records into our gramophones. Yeah, get rid of discs. It's incredible what you lot will put up with, the wait between turning on the console and starting to play the game, that doesn't fly with Nintendo fans. Even the Wii's superfast load times are too slow for me.

The controller I like, it'd be good if they could do MotionPlus so there's never any calibration.

They need HD graphics and more power so that third party devs will make games for it. Problem with third party devs is alls they can ever think of is the same games with better graphics. So it needs better graphics so the third parties will put their stuff on it. You'll have the original stuff from Nintendo and the others will do their CoD and Need for Speed with better graphics and bigger explosions.

Online. The Xbox live thing's never appealed to me. So an online experience that appeals to people would be good.

Erm.

I don't know some other stuff, they really nailed it first time though.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

There's only a handful of real hardcore gamers out there...check the sales of Capcom vs Tsagnunkniurngknkenifnge. And ace beat em up. Sold about 5.

There's only a handful of real hardcore gamers out there...check the sales of Capcom vs Tsagnunkniurngknkenifnge. And ace beat em up. Sold about 5.

exactly, what the fuck kind of a hardcore gamer wouldn't buy a Wii? How the fuck can that person be considered a hardcore gamer.

Oh it £130. These are the people who buy Steel Batallion and Rock Band. But not a Wii because...

Why? Oh it hasn't got awesome graphics! Yeah you sound pretty hardcore.

Like a hardcore film fan who won't watch anything that's not an action film on BluRay.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I'm really surprised Nintendo haven't released a Wii+/WiiSP type update. The same just with an HDMI port and whatever else. They could have done it when the Motionplus came out and sold a bijllion.

As suggested on previous pages, they should go mad with integration with current trends like Facebook or Twitter (and whatever else comes along in the future), merging it with games like Animal Crossing and such,

Oh christ no.

It might surprise you to know the vast majority of humans don't use Facebook or twitter.

How they could have improved Animal Crossing Wii? By making it as good as the gamecube one but with extra bits, like, a garden or something to put those fucking noisy bastard things. You know, add a garden, not Facebood integration. You guys can't see the wood for the trees.

Make everything simpler, not more complex. Make playing a game a simpler proceedure instead of the saga it is at the moment. That's what they wanted to do with the channels but it never quite workied it. It should be flick through your tv channels and the Wii game should be an extra channel. But no you have to press AV then the disc has to load and then press butoons to start fuck that shit man.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm really surprised Nintendo haven't released a Wii+/WiiSP type update. The same just with an HDMI port and whatever else. They could have done it when the Motionplus came out and sold a bijllion.

I got RGB cables and my Wii looks sweet. Most people dont' even know such a cable exists. They're not going to be concerned about HDMI.

I got no extra HDMI sockets anyway.

• Upvote 1

It's got to have a miles better online interface. It needs to copy Xbox live but smear over it with glossy Nintendo charm.

RGB is also a must with the current Wii - it makes everything look crisp.

I gotta tell I can buy any fucking Nintendo shit, you know? But I would feel super fucking self conscious going into a shop and buying "Need For Speed - Hot Pursuit". As a 27 year old I would feel like a mong buying that.

Imagine I came out of HMV and there's a super hot chick I've fancied for ages. "What have you got there?" She asks, all faux coy, biting her lip.

"Need for speed - Hot Pursuit" I reply.

I mean Jesus guys. That's super lame. This is where this whole thing breaks down.

You guys probably think this chick will go "Wow, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, that sounds AWESOME. And HOTT!!"

And that's why you shouldn't really suggest the direction Nintendo takes.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

I gotta tell I can buy any fucking Nintendo shit, you know? But I would feel super fucking self conscious going into a shop and buying "Need For Speed - Hot Pursuit". As a 27 year old I would feel like a mong buying that.

Imagine I came out of HMV and there's a super hot chick I've fancied for ages. "What have you got there?" She asks, all faux coy, biting her lip.

"Need for speed - Hot Pursuit" I reply.

I mean Jesus guys. That's super lame. This is where this whole thing breaks down.

You guys probably think this chick will go "Wow, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, that sounds AWESOME. And HOTT!!"

And that's why you shouldn't really suggest the direction Nintendo takes.

What on earth are you blabbering on about?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What on earth are you blabbering on about?

I'm suggesting fans of Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, which seems to be the HARDCORE game du jour, shouldn't really give suggestions on what direction Nintendo should take. Because for me it's kinda exactly the kinda game I don't think is groovy. It's the kinda game a couple of years ago we all used to laugh at. At the chumps who bought it. The idiots who bought shovelware on the Playstation. Shovelware like Need for Speed.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Oh christ no.

It might surprise you to know the vast majority of humans don't use Facebook or twitter.

How is anyone supposed to argue against this logic? It's mindbogglingly vague, yet doesn't mean anything whatsoever. I mean, a vast majority of humans haven't used the Wii either (76m sales thus), but a damn sight more have used or use Facebook (500m+ users). There's likely to be a massive crossover as well, and it's not like Nintendo can just stick their fingers in their ears and ignore wider social trends, considering financial details from earlier in the year.

My prediction is that the Wii2 will have something innovative implemented into the hardware that will be as ahead of the curve as motion control was when the Wii launched, and make the competing console brands seem outdated. I'd like to imagine that Nintendo have passive-agressively waited for Sony and Microsoft to jump on the motion control bandwagon before pulling the rug from under 'em...

Integrating Facebook and Twitter into games sounds like something an out-of-touch marketing person suggests as a USP to try stay relevant, despite being totally useless gimmick that very few people would use. I mean, Facebook and Twitter are cool, right?

Nintendo's online offering should be better, because it's shocking at the moment. But I don't see it as a compelling selling point for a new console, because I don't think the largest portion target audience cares about online gaming, or can be made to care about online gaming. It's a niche within a niche, and isn't the Wii's audience.

Same with abandoning discs for digital distribution. It's the wrong market. Us dorks love Steam and DLC and using 20mbit lines to download a game, but everyone in the entire world understands how to put a disc they bought at Tesco in their Wii to play a game straight away, and won't understand why it takes 4 hours on 512kbps to download a game, causing them to go over their 10gb monthly bandwidth limit.

The thought process of what the next Wii should look like should come down to what middle-aged women would find compelling features. So I would put HDMI in so people can easily plug it in when they buy a new TV, with a sharper image appearing because of it being an incidental benefit to the rest of us.

• Upvote 4

Anyway you could argue that the wii is approaching its end game even if thats still a year or two off whilst the PS3 and 360, with their smart graphics, massive third party developer support, multimedia options and nowadays move and kinect controllers, still have potential for years of life in them. Somebody in some magazine or other :rolleyes: was predicting that a success with kinect, which looks likely now, will extend the life of the 360 to 2015 for instance.

Official Xbox Magazine I presume, as that's a crazy prediction. Even if the Kinect sells 10m+ units (nope), that's a 7th of the install base of the Wii, for something that's even more narrowly focused on weird party games and as much if not more of a pain in the balls to develop for. Oh, and we're talking about machines that are graphically wheezing like Bernard Manning being chased up ten flights of stairs right now - the average microwave oven timer will have more GPU power by 2015.

For a next Nintendo console to be successful, I think they need to make sure the hardware can at least tag along with the technical level of the main competition and that there's a proper alternative to waggle controls for developers and gamers who wish to play more traditional games.

Um, yeah, like any console manufacturer on earth is going to look at the Wii's sales and go back to packing a 1990s joypad with their new console.

You say that Nintendo have burnt bridges... I see the same long-suffering core of Nintendo customers sticking with them through the N64, GC and Wii. It just hasn't grown.

I don't see where Nintendo can go from the Wii in home consoles. The archaic design of the architecture and OS are more of a problem than weedy CPU/GPU power. Unless they adopt some pre-existing system wholesale (Android, maybe?), or have sunk a ton of their Wii and DS money into R&D, I can't see their infrastructure closing the gap on MS and Sony's advances this gen.

It is weird how they built all these interesting, quite innovative experiments (like the Mii channels, and the Wii Speak thing) and didn't really do anything with them.

So take some assumptions. NiWith the Wii, Nintendo were big about it being small, unobtrusive and unlikely to annoy your mother. So assume the form factor is going to be within 1.5x of the very small Wii. The price will also be low - max $250, perhaps with a game. I'll assume you can get 360 power for that, but not a great deal more.

As a certain Broooce loves to boringly point out, hardware power follows Moore's Law. For the parts budget of the Wii or 360 five years ago, you could make a device many, many times more powerful now. Just by cramming loads of memory in you'd get a massive boost, as 3D games on the iPhone have shown.

Achievements

This has got to happen. They serve a purpose within games, adding extra layers of gameplay and inspiring replays. A shame they're not in Nintendo games by default, by now.

:lol:

True that. Still, I think the argument that a combination of a non-standard standard controller (as neither the GameCube or Classic Controller were bundled with the Wii) and the huge gap between the graphics hardware generations made porting multiplatform games impractical or even impossible.

Explain what games were made "impossible" to port by the Wii Remote/nunchuk control scheme. Because, y'know, over the machine's life a few successful games across basically every genre were ported, and nobody found fault with their controls. Fighting games I guess?

It's interesting how people still automatically expect online console gaming will go mainstream, any year now.

exactly, what the fuck kind of a hardcore gamer wouldn't buy a Wii? How the fuck can that person be considered a hardcore gamer.

Oh it £130. These are the people who buy Steel Batallion and Rock Band. But not a Wii because...

Why? Oh it hasn't got awesome graphics! Yeah you sound pretty hardcore.

Like a hardcore film fan who won't watch anything that's not an action film on BluRay.

Ramone = truth

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I didn't mean digital downloads for games when I said no discs. I meant more something that nintendo could invent. It's the changing disc thing that's troublesome and it probably puts people off playing games as much. I know i am less likely I'll play a game if the disc isn't already in. I am that lazy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I didn't mean digital downloads for games when I said no discs. I meant more something that nintendo could invent. It's the changing disc thing that's troublesome and it probably puts people off playing games as much. I know i am less likely I'll play a game if the disc isn't already in. I am that lazy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's the great thing about the iPhone/iPad, an R4-ed DS, WiiWare/XBLA/PSN titles: everything you want to play is just there when you switch the device on. And without excessive loading times too. What's the use of a wireless controller you can use to switch your console on/off while you still have to get up and put the bloody media in?

Going on from that point, if the Wii took the telly remote, what if a Wii2 should use a scheme like a cable/satellite subscription? The Wii downloads content in its own time to its internal storage when it's idle (so no need for excessively fast broadband connections). As long as you have a subscription you can use all this content whenever you feel like it.

So instead of having to go to a store, pay 40 quid for a game on a disc you just pay a fixed fee every month, and get to play all content with Nintendo expanding it by releasing new games/apps every once in a while.

That's the great thing about the iPhone/iPad, an R4-ed DS, WiiWare/XBLA/PSN titles: everything you want to play is just there when you switch the device on. And without excessive loading times too. What's the use of a wireless controller you can use to switch your console on/off while you still have to get up and put the bloody media in?

This, a billion times over. I buy so much stuff like DVDs or games and just chuck them in a cupboard once I've ripped them. I'm fairly regularly unwell enough for standing up and traversing my room to cause considerable discomfort so having everything on my Wii accessible like that is golden. Wish I could do it for the Xbox, although I have bought one or two full games off the marketplace at an inflated price just because it's convenient and I'm never really one to trade in anything unless it's brand new and I hate it.

It's not even a matter of laziness, it's just kerfuffle.

Going on from that point, if the Wii took the telly remote, what if a Wii2 should use a scheme like a cable/satellite subscription? The Wii downloads content in its own time to its internal storage when it's idle (so no need for excessively fast broadband connections). As long as you have a subscription you can use all this content whenever you feel like it.

So instead of having to go to a store, pay 40 quid for a game on a disc you just pay a fixed fee every month, and get to play all content with Nintendo expanding it by releasing new games/apps every once in a while.

Sega Channel was so, so awesome. Lightyears ahead of its time.

Nintendo's online offering should be better, because it's shocking at the moment. But I don't see it as a compelling selling point for a new console, because I don't think the largest portion target audience cares about online gaming, or can be made to care about online gaming. It's a niche within a niche, and isn't the Wii's audience.

Mario Kart has done an excellent job of getting people to play online who normally wouldn't. I think Nintendo were right to focus on local multiplayer but apart from friends codes Mario Kart has been the easiest and most pleasant pick-up-and-play online experience i've ever had. If Nintendo can sort out the 'administrative' side of the online to make registering friends easier then I don't see why they couldn't get more people playing online. The 3DS should be a good gauge of how far Nintendo are willing to go.

I don't see where Nintendo can go from the Wii in home consoles. The archaic design of the architecture and OS are more of a problem than weedy CPU/GPU power. Unless they adopt some pre-existing system wholesale (Android, maybe?), or have sunk a ton of their Wii and DS money into R&D, I can't see their infrastructure closing the gap on MS and Sony's advances this gen.

Is the architecture really that much of an issue? I would be surprised if Nintendo did all this in house now anyway, surely IBM and ATI would be involved from an early stage or are you talking purely from a software point of view?

I cannot see Nintendo going for increased power or fancy online features for there next console they are going to keep it simple for granny to use.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1