IGNORED

Activision shuts down Bizarre Creations

Corleth the Fey

Also, Bizarre's fanbase is getting older (most now into their 30s), not younger, so appealing to a 12 year old boys fantazies won't get you far with them.

Driving pretend supercars around a track on a computer is a respectable, grown-up pursuit, whereas driving pretend supercars around a track on a computer while firing weapons is obviously something only a child or a retard would engage in.

Disney studios made the game that Bizarre should have made as their "off the beaten track" game with Pure.

Pure had so much of the spirit that PGR had and was a truely wonderful online racing experience.

Driving pretend supercars around a track on a computer is a respectable, grown-up pursuit, whereas driving pretend supercars around a track on a computer while firing weapons is obviously something only a child or a retard would engage in.

You understand then.

I'm sorry but this is absolutely true. I was a die-hard MSR/PGR guy and many of you that play with me/against me will understand that.

Dont be sorry for agreeing with me, it's a rarity around here (hello Mirror's Edge 2...)

Powerups muddy the water and change the core interactive dynamic, though. Where previously you had the choice of taking the quickest, cleanest line or showboating for kudos, both of which were based in purist car control, Blur chucked in a load of powerups that changes the fundamental nature of the game - and are ultimately childish ideas. 'Mature' racing doesn't need advantage-altering, completely artifical bullshit.

It seems Bizarre had a crisis of creativity after PGR3 and thought a step sideways was better. Ultimately, it killed the studio. This was pretty obvious when Bizarre thought the one thing PGR needed was fucking motorbikes instead of, say, expanding its environment to the open-world concept of TDU. The idea of Bizarre getting there first with a huge, open real-world landmass and that sublime handling model makes me just cry and cry and cry.

But yeah, to go from "yeah motorbikes in a car series!" to "yeah, powerups in a semi-authentic real-world racer!" is a sign of someone at the top being fucking dumb.

Blur failed because you should never mix cars and guns/weapons.

never, ever, ever...

(And anyone who cites Mario Kart is wrong)

have you gone mad?!

Carmageddon?!

Interstate 76!?!

Twisted Metal!!!

Half Life 2!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!111111!!one!!

Micro Machines!!

Quarantine!?!

Yes and Mario Kart!!?!

Okay,Okay..., I'll revise my statement...

"Blur failed because you should never mix (realistic/none cartoony) cars and guns/weapons. (Unless your name is Nintendo, Codemasters) or unless your game is first person, then it's okay.. "

Maybe I just didn't "get" blur... It suffered from the Blue Spikey Helmet Mario Kart has done in it's last couple of iterations... ("YAY!, I'm in the lead after lots of hardwork and clever use of my weaponry, Oh bastard, now every tosser is going to do me")

It's exactly the same as taking a football game and saying "even if it ends 10-0, it's still going to penalties"

cars aren't the issues here, it's adding elements to a racing game that change the game.

A car is a perfectly good method of acquiring a weapon or ability and using it. Mario kart is a game about acquiring weapons and using them effectively. While doing this you have to navigate terrain and obstacles to get ahead of the opposition.

Blur was shit. There I said it. I hated it from day 1, I didn't get the whole premise of real style racing with weapons, and quite frankly Split Second did it better. I bought it purely out of loyalty to the makers of my favourite racing games.

The supposedly brilliant online community, while having some fun races, is totally misrepresented, as it basically involved getting to the front, if you were lucky / skillful enough, and then running out of defense and taking a missile up the ass. It wasn't fun, and it didn't reward skill.

The single player was for all purposes more of a bastard than Motorstorm. Get to the front? Got some defense? Doesn't matter the AI has more weapons than you can ever hope to block.

The reason it didn't sell (IMO) is the reason I put in the original thread when BC announced PGR with weapons. It wouldn't work, it doesn't work, and real racing with weapons will never work. Cartoony style racing (SS, MK) makes it a bit less of a bastard, and doesn't make you want to go and throw the joypad through the telly quite so often.

And yeah, PGR jumped the shark when the bikes came along.

Interesting how some people absolutely adore Blur (and so do I), while others hate it.

I was a fan of MSR and all the PGR games, although I was late to the party with each of 'm. Different so with Blur. I saw the announcement, thought "what the hell", then played a demo at the '09 GamesCom, and absolutely loved it. Played the beta on the 360 to death.

Then the game came out, and only a few people from the forum got it. But as we had so much fun with that group, more and more people came in. We've actually had time where 20-player rooms (which other, fast-paced console racing game lets you race with TWENTY people at the same time?!) were filled almost entirely with forumites. And we had an absolute blast.

A stable and quite large community came out of that, and we played Blur pretty much every nights for three months straight. Rivalries were made, battles were fought, races were raced and it was all SO close.

The thing about Blur is that it's extremely well balanced. No matter the items (the 'blue shell'like lightning bolts are fairly easy to dodge, if you're good), if you're good, you'll be up ahead. If you're not, you'll be behind. There's little luck involved, since you can decide which items you want to pick up yourself. There's so much more strategy involved.

Interesting how some people absolutely adore Blur (and so do I), while others hate it.

I was a fan of MSR and all the PGR games, although I was late to the party with each of 'm. Different so with Blur. I saw the announcement, thought "what the hell", then played a demo at the '09 GamesCom, and absolutely loved it. Played the beta on the 360 to death.

Then the game came out, and only a few people from the forum got it. But as we had so much fun with that group, more and more people came in. We've actually had time where 20-player rooms (which other, fast-paced console racing game lets you race with TWENTY people at the same time?!) were filled almost entirely with forumites. And we had an absolute blast.

A stable and quite large community came out of that, and we played Blur pretty much every nights for three months straight. Rivalries were made, battles were fought, races were raced and it was all SO close.

The thing about Blur is that it's extremely well balanced. No matter the items (the 'blue shell'like lightning bolts are fairly easy to dodge, if you're good), if you're good, you'll be up ahead. If you're not, you'll be behind. There's little luck involved, since you can decide which items you want to pick up yourself. There's so much more strategy involved.

Blur may not be a bad game but it is a bad racing game. Assessed as a racing game, it is poor.

Blur may not be a bad game but it is a bad racing game. Assessed as a racing game, it is poor.

It is a racing game - just not a traditional one. The race is between you and the guys in front and behind you and there's weapons involved. I weep for people who don't get Blur - but whatever. I'm playing Bizzare Creation games all this week in their honour. PGR 3 is lovely.

"Blur failed because you should never mix (realistic/none cartoony) cars and guns/weapons. (Unless your name is Nintendo, Codemasters) or unless your game is first person, then it's okay.. "

Still got Twisted Metal there I'm afraid!

Is the racing aspect that's the issue not the cars themselves.

cars aren't the issues here, it's adding elements to a racing game that change the game.

A car is a perfectly good method of acquiring a weapon or ability and using it. Mario kart is a game about acquiring weapons and using them effectively. While doing this you have to navigate terrain and obstacles to get ahead of the opposition.

Nah, you've got Mario Kart all wrong. It's first and foremost a racing game series, requiring you to use all the same skills you would use in any other arcade racing game. It's got some power ups in it, that can stop you in your tracks or give you a boost, but they don't, as you put it earlier, 'break' the racing elements of the game. And the better you become at the game, the more it becomes about racing. Not crashing, how tight you can take corners and stuff like that are all vital.

Whilst Blur may not have got it quite right, the core concept of racing with weaponary remains sound.

I just want to make that clear.

Animals with weapon. I want to see a Camel with a mortar attacking an Ostrich with a minigun.

I think blur got it very right. Skip ahead 7 month to nfs hot pursuit and their car combat mode left me bored in a month. And what's this about racing games and weapons being a shit idea. last time I checked you euros loved wipeout. I don't understand the hate for blur. I wasn't a blur zombie. I got into it a month after it came out and loved the multiplayer. Till this day its absolutely brilliant. It's modern carfare