Sign in to follow this  
The Sarge

Need for Speed Shift 2: Unleashed - April 1st

Personally i prefer the Works Caterham to the F1 2010 cars (as an open top racer).

I might add you cannot Factory spec the Radical. In fact you can't add much too it at all.

I've added Mr Bungle and Snoop to the freinds list now and Unwell Cat i'll add you later today.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting the controller settings a few pages back. Really changed the game in a good way for me.

indeed, makes quite alot of a difference. smoothness and patience seems the key to this game (in the faster cars at least), it seems to stop me from trying to correct the line of my car and going from side to side so much if i really squeeze on the throttle quite carefully when exiting a turn while being bloody careful with the steering too. it's a bit light, but far more manageable after the tweaks.

still silly how need for speed let it up to their fans to fix their game again. that being said it is much better than the original even without the tweaks. it was starting to frustrate me a bit - added the tweaks and i'm really enjoying it now :blush: blasting through the single player happily and online (whilst a bit oo-err at times) is starting to come together now i'm being a bit more careful

then again it might have been because there was only 4 of us when i was on what made it a bit easier. this game makes me feel like not many other games have done for a while, the feel when you nail a corner (or series of corners) perfectly, touch the rumblestrip on the way out and ease on the power as quick as is safe to floor it down the straight is quite something. also i like the nitrous on this game, i know it has its haters and whatnot but it doesn't give you a ridiculous 150mph speed boost with a jetengine firing out the back, it gives a really useful surge of speed to help you fly through the gears

edit: oh and the fucking noise from the engine accelerating, the whine and the flutter of the turbo all the way to the brakes squeeking is quite something. makes me want to turn shit up!

edit again: and the selection of tracks and cars is really good.

Personally i prefer the Works Caterham to the F1 2010 cars (as an open top racer).

I might add you cannot Factory spec the Radical. In fact you can't add much too it at all.

Yeah, the Works Caterham is brilliant :) Loving the full-slick tyres. I'm not sure if it's easier to control than the regular one (like Karzee said), but it's still great.

And I noticed about the Radical not having a works conversion. Silly how you can still upgrade the engine all the way. Oh well.

Tuned down the Shelby Cobra to Track-spec brakes and suspension, because it felt a bit too easy to handle with Race-spec stuff, losing its character. The semi-slick tyres are still there, and now it's bloody brilliant.

i like the nitrous on this game, i know it has its haters and whatnot but it doesn't give you a ridiculous 150mph speed boost with a jetengine firing out the back, it gives a really useful surge of speed to help you fly through the gears

I might try it out once, but in general nitrous is just very not done in track racing. They did it (illegally!) in the fifties, but after that (went horribly wrong with deadly accidents) it was only a novelty for street racing punks. I'm pretty sure that's why they put it in this game, too.

Depends on the car, too. A machine like the Falken Porsche is in perfect balance as it is. The Shelby Cobra is just engaging to drive as a classic monster, although I made it a bit more manageable to let everyone enjoy it. Racers like that don't not NOS.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting the controller settings a few pages back. Really changed the game in a good way for me.

No worries. Made the world of difference for me too :)

No worries. Made the world of difference for me too :)

To make life better for everyone here playing this: can you add those settings to the first post and direct at them shortly in the thread subtitle? :)

How long do you reckon it'll take for a game from Shopto to arrive at my place in the Netherlands?

I'm getting bored of this game now :P

Nah, just kidding. Shouldn't take more then 7 days.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the Works Caterham is brilliant :) Loving the full-slick tyres. I'm not sure if it's easier to control than the regular one (like Karzee said), but it's still great.

And I noticed about the Radical not having a works conversion. Silly how you can still upgrade the engine all the way. Oh well.

Tuned down the Shelby Cobra to Track-spec brakes and suspension, because it felt a bit too easy to handle with Race-spec stuff, losing its character. The semi-slick tyres are still there, and now it's bloody brilliant.

I might try it out once, but in general nitrous is just very not done in track racing. They did it (illegally!) in the fifties, but after that (went horribly wrong with deadly accidents) it was only a novelty for street racing punks. I'm pretty sure that's why they put it in this game, too.

Depends on the car, too. A machine like the Falken Porsche is in perfect balance as it is. The Shelby Cobra is just engaging to drive as a classic monster, although I made it a bit more manageable to let everyone enjoy it. Racers like that don't not NOS.

I see your point about the Shelby although to have one that races easily would probably make the races more balanced.

Sadly you can't save replays to see this in action :(

After a slow start with this I'm completely hooked on it now.When I started with the default controller settings I though I'd made a horrible mistake.The handling was all over the place abd it was a nightmare to even keep some cars stable on the straights.Now thanks to the settings posted before it's a different game and I've finally graduated to elite mode and manual gears with a pad.

The only real downers is the drifting and THAT American guy.It's easily ignored though and hopefully they'll be a minigame where you get to run him over repeatedly.

Oh and the Catherham in helmet cam is just incredible :wub:

I'll add some of you guys up for some races :)

With the terrible collision detecton model which beomes more pertinent the more people in the lobby is there not a setting to avoid this. Didn't Forza have one where you just ghosted through people? I know this is not the ideal and yeah yeah we could handle it by careful driving but if one player thinks they are a safe distance but the game still thinks there is contact and given the result of that contact can be random on occassion it might be worth switching this off whilst they review it.

It really does effect the way I drive where you have to be a hell of a lot less agressive in case you ruin someone's race - which to the surprise of some is not my overall intention.

Once you are up front it is all good put if you are in amongst the pack where half the excitiment is it becomes a lot less fun thinking you can't outbrake people on the corner in case the stupid collison detetction decides you rammed them.

After a slow start with this I'm completely hooked on it now.When I started with the default controller settings I though I'd made a horrible mistake.The handling was all over the place abd it was a nightmare to even keep some cars stable on the straights.Now thanks to the settings posted before it's a different game and I've finally graduated to elite mode and manual gears with a pad.

The only real downers is the drifting and THAT American guy.It's easily ignored though and hopefully they'll be a minigame where you get to run him over repeatedly.

Oh and the Catherham in helmet cam is just incredible :wub:

I'll add some of you guys up for some races :)

I keep seeing your name pop up as beating my times on autolog... this does mean war.

I see your point about the Shelby although to have one that races easily would probably make the races more balanced.

Sadly you can't save replays to see this in action :(

I know, that's why I'm searching for a balance. Fitting the Cobra with Race-spec upgrades really made it a bit too easy to control, so Track-level parts (in between Street and Race) are perfect.

Too bad about unable to save replays indeed. I already really love watching back my singleplayer races. On some tracks it even throws in some auto slow-motion :wub:

With the terrible collision detecton model which beomes more pertinent the more people in the lobby is there not a setting to avoid this. Didn't Forza have one where you just ghosted through people? I know this is not the ideal and yeah yeah we could handle it by careful driving but if one player thinks they are a safe distance but the game still thinks there is contact and given the result of that contact can be random on occassion it might be worth switching this off whilst they review it.

It really does effect the way I drive where you have to be a hell of a lot less agressive in case you ruin someone's race - which to the surprise of some is not my overall intention.

Once you are up front it is all good put if you are in amongst the pack where half the excitiment is it becomes a lot less fun thinking you can't outbrake people on the corner in case the stupid collison detetction decides you rammed them.

I see your point, but sadly, there is no option for this.

The only thing is to drive carefully, even when close to each other. And having 12 players in a game is nice, but when having 6 makes races a bit more risk-free, it's something to consider from time to time.

As said last night I'll shoot the executive producer (Marcus Nilsson from DICE) an e-mail regarding this sometime soon.

I keep seeing your name pop up as beating my times on autolog... this does mean war.

Bring it on mate 8)

Autolog is equally the greatest and worst thing to happen to driving games.Just when you want to be getting on with the career or playing online it pops up that someone has beaten your time again.

The track selection in this is very impressive as well.

I've added Mr Bungle and Snoop to the freinds list now and Unwell Cat i'll add you later today.

Thanks - I did try adding you when we used to play either FM2 or F1 (can't recall now) but your friends list was always full.

Bring it on mate 8)

Autolog is equally the greatest and worst thing to happen to driving games.Just when you want to be getting on with the career or playing online it pops up that someone has beaten your time again.

The track selection in this is very impressive as well.

Got your friend request. And you are right - even when I've beaten a race, it doesn't feel like I've won if someone's name is above mine. Thankfully U1 is usually below me to at least massage my ego a little :)

Missed you guys last night as the Mrs wanted to watch a film. Won't be around much for the next few days but i'll be back with a vengeance towards the weekend hopefully and looking forward to some more racing. I definitely think we should organise a mini-series of 3-4 events one night (Friday perhaps?) where we assign some points based on race finishes, just to get a bit of competitive spirit flowing (not that we are lacking any already of course :) )

Yes, the online pass is at the back of the instruction book.

May be (I don't have a manual, promo copy), but last night someone said it only gives you some extra credits. May well be, because I can just play online without an online pass.

I definitely think we should organise a mini-series of 3-4 events one night (Friday perhaps?) where we assign some points based on race finishes, just to get a bit of competitive spirit flowing (not that we are lacking any already of course :) )

I'll see if I can set something up :) Will look into a nice car for that series. Suggestions? (Let's not instantly do the Falken Porsche, more like uprated BMW M3 or something.)

Yes, the online pass is at the back of the instruction book.

I thought that was just for extra content (Ltd edition stuff etc).. I'm sure I read this doesn't use an online pass for MP.

I was fairly unimpressed with Shift 2 but persevered after the high praise on here and the suggestion that controller tweaks would improve some of my concerns over the handling.

The presentation in Shift 2 is brilliant, with the main menu alone looking the business by using a bullet time shot of Eau Rouge. Also worthy of mention is the simply brilliant audio, where the cars all sound like they should and the engine noise supresses all other noise apart from the bearded American bloke. However, where handling should be the focus and the main standout area of any racing game, Shift 2 fell flat for me.

I let my Logitech PS3 wheel go before I could try it with Shift 2 so all my impressions were with the official Xbox 360 controller. I used the Elite handling model throughout and started with the GT-R on the first race in Suzuka, and I felt I could not trust or rely on any piece of feedback the car was giving me. When the position of the car changed on over steer, I would turn lightly to the left to correct it and lift off the throttle. However the car did not appear to get out of the skid so I would turn harder to catch it, resulting in the car immediately changing direction dramatically, and I was now holding the slide whilst steering right. After a few races, I was trying to judge whether Shift 2 was simulating a new area I’ve not previously encountered in a game, or whether the controller or car was reacting in a very odd way to my inputs.

After a weekend with the game I still can’t judge it. I played through 10% of the career and played a lot of Time Trials in low and high spec cars and every single car seems to react in the same way. I begin to over steer, correct it how I would normally in real life or in any game, and the car will appear to jump and shift its weight, resulting in a slide or another bout of opposite over steer.

I’ve only ever encountered this feeling of movement with the Warthog in Halo, and I don’t think this game is trying to replicate that! Has anyone else had issues with over steer, or controlling the car at high or low speeds?