IGNORED

gamesTM Issue 13

strider

Whats on the front cover?

I looked all over manchester today at it weren't out.

What features are there?

Whats the retro system?

Is there a treasure hunter section in this issue?

Tell me, please.

Deep breath...

Front Cover Splinter Cell 2

Feature Import Gaming

Retro PC Engine

Treasure Hunter Not this month I'm afraid

Broken Sword- 5/10.

Are they mad? I don't see how you can give bland, derivative drivivg games high scores and completely underrate a genuinely different, clever and funny game that really does become more than what it seems. They should be rewarding innovation, and brave design decisions, rather than bland franchise sequels of an 11 year old game.

Is this the issue with the giude to Head over Heels in it? I almost bought that today, but realised the guide was just a small token thing and of no actual help at all.

Yeah, these step by steps are a tricky thing.

Whilst my intention was to make them as an actual guide or walkthrough, it was decided that this wouldn't be what gamers would want (don't people realise that some readers are discovering these games for the first time on emulation?).

What I'm aiming for now is to have recognisable games, which still give you pointers, yet aim to keep everyone happy. So far though, they seem to be a well-liked addition to the mag and as long as there is still interest, I'll keep churning them out <_<

Oh, and if you liked Hewson titles, you'll enjoy the next one.

Cybernoid?

Stormlord?

Nebulus!?!

:rolleyes:

Is this the issue with the giude to Head over Heels in it? I almost bought that today, but realised the guide was just a small token thing and of no actual help at all.

Yeah, these step by steps are a tricky thing.

Whilst my intention was to make them as an actual guide or walkthrough, it was decided that this wouldn't be what gamers would want (don't people realise that some readers are discovering these games for the first time on emulation?).

What I'm aiming for now is to have recognisable games, which still give you pointers, yet aim to keep everyone happy. So far though, they seem to be a well-liked addition to the mag and as long as there is still interest, I'll keep churning them out <_<

Oh, and if you liked Hewson titles, you'll enjoy the next one.

Cybernoid?

Stormlord?

Nebulus!?!

:rolleyes:

Nope, I nearly plumped for cybernoid, bit I've got something else lined up for that beauty...

Is the cover art at least palatable this time. Every cover bar the Project Gotham one (which was passable) is like Hieronymous Bosch took a sudden interest in games, while being bum surprised!? If not I'm afraid I'll have to make do with Edge *strokes differently laminated surfaces* . :rolleyes:

Nope, I nearly plumped for cybernoid, bit I've got something else lined up for that beauty...

Is it Exelon?

Was it even called that? Was it Excelon? Man, I can't remember. You know the one I mean, though. Is it that one?

I think I'm going to give GamesTM another go this month. I'll report my opinion here because I know you'll all be desperate to hear it.

I'm not using a fucking smiley. Pretend I have, if you must.

Is it Exelon?

Was it even called that? Was it Excelon? Man, I can't remember. You know the one I mean, though. Is it that one?

I think I'm going to give GamesTM another go this month. I'll report my opinion here because I know you'll all be desperate to hear it.

I'm not using a fucking smiley. Pretend I have, if you must.

It might be....

5/10 means they found it average/ok/not good not bad/alright etc. Its not a bad score. Im guessing amped 2 got 5/10 because it doesnt really do anything new compared to amped.

Give that man a medal, he's remebered our scoring system :rolleyes:

Hmmm, I wonder if Cocopops will take you to task as well for saying that an average game deserves 5 and not the average score deducted from adding every review score ever together and dividing it byzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

My guess is no. Strange, that.

<_<

Anyway, what are the features/interviews in this month's issue, young Strider? Anything juicy?

5/10 means they found it average/ok/not good not bad/alright etc. Its not a bad score. Im guessing amped 2 got 5/10 because it doesnt really do anything new compared to amped.

Hmmm, I wonder if Cocopops will take you to task as well for saying that an average game deserves 5 and not the average score deducted from adding every review score ever together and dividing it byzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

My guess is no. Strange, that.

:D

Anyway, what are the features/interviews in this month's issue, young Strider? Anything juicy?

LOL, I've already ribbed him about that tonight <_<

As for Features, we have an indepth look on current import gaming. A look at how the three big consoles are currently being pushed in retail stores and a retro piece on the PC Engine.

The score for Medal Of Honor : Rising Sun is a bit wrong. :/

Its rather good!

You're right, you could say that...

or you could say

That score for Medal of Honor: Rising Sun is a bit right :\

It's rather crap!

Seriously though, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Just out of interest, what version are you playing?

CM 03/04's been well overrated, and that's coming from a major footie management fan.

While it does what it sets out to do fair enough, it's just not fun to sit there for hours on end anymore. There's limited tactical options and the game chugs along dreadfully in pre-season (averaging about three weeks every hour in my game - that's with no matches played, small database, three leagues). The match engine looks great on the face of it but players seem to ghost through each other, multiple defenders try to head the same ball which also happens to be representing a whole new physics system (one striker managed to hit the ball hard from 5 yards, get the ball over the bar and have it land 5 yards on the other side of the goal line. Either he's a spin genius - unlikely in an amateur league - or something's amiss), strikers whack the ball over the bar much too often, and the game doesn't convey enough detail.

It is fun when you're in the midst of a season, taking each game as it comes and doing your best, watching Dergview climb to the mid table, then fall again only to avoid relegation on the final day, but I'm always left cold by it. For a management game tactics are more important than any number of transfer and media options, and the tactics in this have less depth than CM3 (although they're less fiddly too). When players make mistakes on the pitch there's no way of using this as an example and telling them what you'd rather them do. Mind you, you can't actually talk to your players unless they approach the media first. Manager in a glass box once again.

I'd give it a 6, because when you're in the thick of it, it's a beauty, but really I don't play games to sit and wait and try tp feel immersed when in actual fact the game has left out everything that gives us immersion in the first place.

But my issue was not with the score itself being (imho) low, I've no problem with that. My problem is with Tony Hawk Underground getting an 8 when as far as I can see it presents NO improvements and is in many ways a step BACK from previous versions (of which there are 4 rather than 1 for Amped)...

If that had got a 4/5 (as it did in Edge) I'd have said no more...

I have to say though that Games TM scores feel more balanced and in line with my views than Edge's. Its like both are looking at games from completely different perspectives (an over simplification I know but Edge seems to reward innovation and boldness whilst Games TM seem to reward games that are accomplished and enjoyable to play).

Having said that both magazines slants on games are useful and together meld into a pretty good over view, especially if you throw Gamesrankings or Metacritic into the equation too.

Edge seems to suffer evermore with a jaded and cynical view of games. We've not really had any other multi-format mags to rate them against until gamesTM. And although gamesTM can feel a bit shallow sometimes, it seems to review and score games more in keeping with my own views. Edge very often seems to be trying to make a point with it's scores.

Over the last couple of years the number of Edge reviews I have disagreed with has grown, and continues to do so. I often read a review in Edge and think my god, I am so glad I don't have their cynical and joyless appreciation of games. Their review of MK:DD was such a 'glass half empty' review. It must be miserable being so bloody miserable all time....

Broken Sword- 5/10.

Are they mad? I don't see how you can give bland, derivative drivivg games high scores and completely underrate a genuinely different, clever and funny game that really does become more than what it seems. They should be rewarding innovation, and brave design decisions, rather than bland franchise sequels of an 11 year old game.

Maybe Games TM found Mario Kart more fun than Broken Sword? Not everyone has an anti-sequel agenda like Edge, some people are capable of reviewing games in their own right without a jaded viewpoint.

You only have to look at the fact that Edge rates Project Gotham 2 lower than MSR and PGR to see they have very different reviewing systems.

Maybe Games TM found Mario Kart more fun than Broken Sword? Not everyone has an anti-sequel agenda like Edge, some people are capable of reviewing games in their own right without a jaded viewpoint.

Jaded, with a noticeable bias against sequels:

PoP:SoT. Third (or Fourth) in a line of games. 9/10.

Broken Sword. Third in a line of games. 9/10.

[ from the *same* issue of the magazine with the MKDD score - which is quoted as evidence of said bias against sequels ]

Neither review, incidentally, seemed to be particularly jaded (indeed, the PoP one seems to have been right on the money).

And then Amped 2: 8; SSX 3: 8 etc.

I'm going to join the, "Huh?" brigade here. I'm not sure Broken Sword 3 deserves quite as much praise as Edge piled on it, but I have found it to be a really rather good, and on occasions very funny, game, whereas Project Gotham 2 seems to be missing the joy that PG had - I wish I knew what it was that makes me feel that as I can see it is a very accomplished game, but it just putting a big grin on my face the way the original did.