rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Comrade

Veep

This season felt like it should have been a disaster, as the story seemed to have been wrapped up, but this has been as good as any previous seasons.

The comedy's harsh, but has me in stitches.

• Upvote 1

On June 18, 2017 at 07:46, Mentazm said:

It's still worth watching for Richard alone.

Watching the last season now - Richard should be a recurring guest star in all other comedies going forward.

• Upvote 3

Very clever finale - although it might have worked better in chronological order.

Spoiler

Jonah Ryan - the insider's outsider. Probably have a chance in the real world with that slogan and his track record

Ive just started watching this - bit

late to the party. 

It’s really very funny indeed. Perhaps a little too many gags in the dialogue for my taste but it’s does make me laugh...

’it’s like teaching gravity to a chicken’ really tickled me just now. Julia LD is really

very good indeed. 

• Upvote 2

I've always thought the series would end up with Jonah being president. Seems too much of a great conclusion to pass up! 

Selina's double burn on Amy and Dan in this week's ep is pretty damn legendary. And Jonah sparking off a scandal yet still rising in the polls just confirms to me that this shit can only end one, horrible, nightmarish way.

I find this deeply unfunny now - and I love the thick of it and earlier seasons - its just unpleasant shouting and there is no real wit or cleverness in it anymore

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

This show took such a big dive when Iannucci left but it was still watchable, this latest season however is pretty terrible. I guess everyone wanted more Jonah, which isn't the only issue I have with the show, but it's changed the tone from something believable to being way over the top. The writing has also become lazy with just taking the last two year's news cycle and rehashing it. There's still some laughs every episode (Kent introducing himself to the kid in her bedroom was brilliant) but it's not a patch on what it was.

• Upvote 1

I think they were between a rock and a hard place, they couldn’t have done The Thick Of It or Veep in today’s poltical climate. There’s no denying this season is quite silly and a different beast but it’s only been amped up to match how ridiculous politics has become by 2019. It’s the last season and they’ve morphed every character into the very worst version of themselves (hilariously this has meant keeping Dan exactly the same), and it’s pretty funny seeing how far they go with it.

Proper Veep ‘finished’ with Selina getting on the helicopter for the last time, the post-White House stuff is more like an amusing ‘You thought that was bad, this how fucking crazy things are now’ epilogue. They could probably do something similar with The Thick Of It characters all split across Change UK & The Brexit Party.

• Upvote 2

It's the pacing of this last season that has been off, especially squeezing in two time jumps for that last episode.

A few obvious moments inspired by real-life events were glaringly obvious, but overall it was a good end.