rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Comrade

Veep

It really is excellent isn't it. The dialogue seems very dense as well, I can definitely see myself rewatching this series.

Yeah definitely, there's a huge amount of backstory & context alluded to in the dialogue that I missed first time around and only picked up on after rewatching it. I found the same with The Thick Of It, on first watch it was "just" a hilarious sequence of people being dickheads to each other, but on subsequent watches the entire story shines through and makes it even better.

This may just be because I'm not particularly quick on the uptake

edit - for example, The Rise of the Nutters / Spinners and Losers took me about 3 viewings to appreciate the nuances (lol) of what Tucker had actually done

Yeah, 3rd episode was very smart, had to rewatch a bit that had a lot going on in it too. Will watch 4 later.

New ep was amazing, so many gloriously spiteful moments. Strangely, despite him being detestable, I actually kinda like Jonah now and felt rather sorry for him when Dan broke up their bromance.

Also, loved this bit:

"Shame on you, Selina Meyer. Remember that name! No one will want to call their child by that name. There are no more Adolfs! Soon, there will be no more Selinas. You are looking at the last Selina. The Selina who killed America."

Plus 'Piss Face' is the best nickname.

• Upvote 2

Didn't laugh once at the ep, very weak I thought, the camera stuff raised a smile though.

just set a reminder on sky 'never miss' for this, its showing there as airing in June but no actual date

I seriously think this is just getting better and better.

"... in the shape of a dick."

That was the funniest thing I've seen on TV for ages. Jonah is brilliant.

Just started watching this and really enjoying so far. Great cast, fast paced, and nails the Thick of It vibe of amazing swearing generally being better than awkward silences. I loved the tag at the end of Episode 3.

"He's a triathlete."

"...no he's not."

I've never seen The Thick of It so am not familiar with Iannucci, but this is really good, isn't it? I'm only up to episode 4, but I'm really enjoying it. Good to know that it's getting a second season. The only thing for me is that Gary is a bit too similar to Buster - though that's perhaps more because he's fresh in my mind due to only recently watching through all of Arrested Development.

Been avoiding this thread as I wanted to watch it fresh when Sky started showing it.

Awesome. From the dreadful meeting with only a few senators to Dan dumping his ex-boss's daughter via an app, it was so funny. Having been an avid fan of The Thick Of It, I can spot the similarities (Julia Dreyfuss even looks similar to Rebecca Front) but I thoroughly enjoyed it. So many great lines.

(The only thing I would pull it up on is the mis-signed card, a gag that Frasier played magnificently)

I ended up watching all 8 episodes in one go, and it remained consistently excellent throughout. I obviously need to watch The Thick of It now.

• Upvote 1

You won't regret it, it's phenomenal. Even the first couple of episodes where they're learning the characters

Just watched the first couple of episodes, I'm not rrrrrrreally sold just yet. I love TTOI (even though the third series was a bit iffy) and In The Loop but this just doesn't really have the same pull.

Although I must admit I think Julia Louis-Dreyfus is lovely so there's my reason to carry on watching. :wub:

I enjoyed it right from the off, but even so the quality does rise and everything feels more natural after the first few eps.

"You can't upstage F-DOTUS"... Dan is so much more manipulative and successful than Ollie in The Thick Of It, while Jonah is and always will be a lanky douchebag....

Brilliant series, loved it from beginning to end but definitely felt it improved as the series progressed. I don't know whether that was down to any particulars of the later scripts or just a growing familiarity with the characters though. Like others have said by the end I even liked Jonah! (Although Mike was a personal favourite of mine.)

More good news comes in the form of Emmy nominations, Veep has been nominated in Outstanding Comedy Series, Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series (obviously for Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Selina Meyer) and Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series. Armando Iannucci has just been tweeting about it.