IGNORED

Veep

Comrade

http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/hbo-picks-up-female-vice-president-pilot-that-could-star-julia-louis-dreyfus/

So, Iannucci's writing a pilot for HBO which appears to be The Thick Of It as set in a Vice President's office, possibly starring Elaine from Seinfeld as the Vice President.

I'd certainly enjoy seeing an Iannucciesque eye focused on US politics, I'm sure it would be amazing without too much US studio interference.

• 5 months later...

Tony Hale (aka Buster from Arrested Development) is playing Chris Addison's character with an almost unknown, Reid Scott (anybody here watched either My Boys or The Big C ???) playing either the Malcolm Tucker part or Jamie. Would like to think that he is playing Jamie and they're keeping their powder dry about getting Jeremy Piven to play the older, more seasoned and experienced and the more downright frightening of the two spin doctors.

Here's the rest of the casting details from the press release:

Louis-Dreyfus heads the ensemble cast of the show, which also stars Sufe Bradshaw (“Overnight”), Anna Chlumsky (“In the Loop”), Tony Hale (“Arrested Development”), Reid Scott (“My Boys”), Tim Simons (“Days Together”) and Matt Walsh (“Outsourced”).

Set in Washington, D.C., VEEP stars Louis-Dreyfus as former Senator Selina Meyer, who becomes Vice President, only to discover the job is nothing like she expected, but everything she was warned about. Bradshaw plays Sue, Vice President Meyer’s assistant; Chlumsky plays Amy, her chief of staff; Hale plays Gary, her right-hand man; Scott plays Dan, an ambitious director of communications for a senator; Simons plays Jonah, a young and somewhat clueless White House liaison; and Walsh plays Mike, Vice President Meyer’s weathered spokesperson.

Have never watched Outsourced or heard of Matt Walsh, but I guess this guy will be the put upon, comedy foil in the shape of Glenn from the UK version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwtUitVqq8o

Yeah, seems a good fit.

Oh if anyone reading this works for ABC, either in the UK (the main HQ is within the Hammersmith roundabout) or the US and might have access to their Christopher Guest directed pilot .... you'd be absolute legend if you were to find a way of sharing it with us.

Tony Hale (aka Buster from Arrested Development) is playing Chris Addison's character with an almost unknown, Reid Scott (anybody here watched either My Boys or The Big C ???) playing either the Malcolm Tucker part or Jamie. Would like to think that he is playing Jamie and they're keeping their powder dry about getting Jeremy Piven to play the older, more seasoned and experienced and the more downright frightening of the two spin doctors.

I don't think it's meant to be a straight remake of The Thick Of It. And if anyone was going to "be" Chris Addison's character it would fairly obviously be Anna Chlumsky who was in In The Loop. Although she's a woman.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, add another voice to those who loved it. Watched the first episode last night and was grinning all the way though, it's classic Iannucci and holds up just as well with an American cast as The Thick of It does with Brits. I'm already hoping for a second season.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate Jonah so much, in the best possible way. Every time I see his smug face, I want to punch something, he's just gloriously vile. Last week's talk of the 'F-DOTUS' was incredible.

Anyway, this week's was also great, loved Selina's mad rant about making the door to her office half as big so people would have to come in on their knees.