Pinball Games - Pinball FX, Pinball Arcade, etc

bradigor

Played a real pinball table!

First time since getting into the virtual stuff and starting to understand proper play. Jersey Jack’s ‘Dialed In’

4E7C4C85-90B8-4F47-9921-9AE96EC4A0B7.thumb.jpeg.ad36f342d7d7ea74a8c667698663a18b.jpeg

Main takeaways were :- The ball seemed really large and I found it way easier to accurately hit ramps and targets than on the virtual tables. I could just look at something and hit it. The flippers feel so different, the force of the flip feels more instant but the weight of the ball seems to carry that force.

I didn’t have long(was with my 3yr old) but it felt great, will deffo keep hunting for more. It was in St.Ives arcade, right flipper was a bit sticky and the ball seemed to do a weird jump somewhere but otherwise all playable.

• 3 weeks later...

Driven past an ‘Amusements’ near me in Ireland several times, I thought it was one of those places that’s full of fruit machines and gambling, saw some kids going in today so take my kid and jackpot! 2 pinball machines in there, Simpson’s Party and CSI. I thought CSI must be some crappy cheap machine they randomly got hold of but looked it up and it’s a Pat Lawlor and Lyman F Sheats table so that’s pretty sweet! I didn’t get a chance to play them this time but I’m gonna be back for some sessions.

• 3 weeks later...

Am in London for a few days on a work trip, took the opportunity to hit up a Brewdog for some real Pinball action, went to Paddington as there was a chance there was a Ghostbusters for this weeks score challenge. Not to be but there was a Star Trek and Deadpool, score!

Brewdog is cashless but luckily there’s a phone app you can add funds to, which after about 10mins of faffing, signing up and entering cad details to top up a wallet and a nervous wait when I then attempted to use the funds I’m please to report the credits appeared instantly as if using coins, yay! (Seems to be a sign up bonus for the Game Payment app to match your first deposit)

Had a few games on both machines, some weird lost ball stuff going on with Star Trek but a bit of shaking sorted it, really enjoyed that machine. Great to play the real Deadpool too.

Real pinball tables do feel quite different to VPX it must be said, the flipper controls are so much more natural and I find hitting specific shots way easier even on a table I don’t know.

Sadly I only had about 45mins before closing but it was great. 

76F0F56C-D9CA-4AE2-8792-983EA3A5B60A.thumb.jpeg.9a7210706ac521f7e0435659580bb6ec.jpeg

Just a heads up for anyone interested - it's the IFPA Pinball World Championships this weekend. This is like the 'world cup' of pinball - an invitational for the top two ranked players in each country (and then additional spots filled based on world ranking, which inevitably means a surplus of US based players)

UK players this year are Andy Foster (a good friend of mine from Southport), and Sam McCourt (who runs Chief Coffee - another great pinball spot in London)

Streaming is on twitch.tv/pinballasylum and it's in Florida, so the UK times look like:
Friday
3pm – 5pm –> Session #1
5pm – 7pm –> Session #2
8pm – 10pm –> Session #3 (this will start 1 hour after the last group finishes Session #2)
10pm – midnight –> Session #4
1am – 3am –> Session #5 (this will start 1 hour after the last group finishes Session #4)
3am – 5am –> Session #6

Saturday
3pm – 5pm –> Session #7
5pm – 7pm –> Session #8
FINALS:
9pm – 11pm –> First Round (seeds 17 through 32 play)
11pm – 1am –> Second Round (Seeds 9-16 play the winners of the first round)
2am – 4am –> Third Round (Seeds 1-8 play the winners of the second round)

Sunday
2pm – 4pm –> Elite 8
4pm – 6pm –> Final 4 and 5th through 8th match
6pm – 8pm –> Championship, Consolation final

The last championships was in 2019 and if they can even slightly match the quality of that, then it will be a treat for sure. I've left a link below to one of the best games of pinball I've ever seen captured on stream.

Some basics about Dracula: There are three multiballs in the game. Coffin - started by shooting the coffin on the right repeatedly. Mist - started by 5 ramp shots then a shot to the hole at the back, which brings out the 'floating' mist ball.  The last multiball is hardest to start, but also has massive jackpots - Castle multiball, started either by shooting the dangerous standup targets to light locks on the ramp, or by seven shots to the ramp (to light a lock, then rinse and repeat - the third lock starts the multiball)

What makes Dracula so much fun is that all three multiballs can be played together (ie you can start one and then continue to do 'the things' to start the other multiballs). The game increases the basic jackpots as you do this, from 10 million for one multiball running, to 30 million if you can get all three going at once.

Plus the Castle multiball has incredibly valuable jackpots which are lit on the ramp and then collected at the hole at the back left (under the ramp)

Spoilery explanation for what happens during the game:

Spoiler

Danielle is on fire during his very first ball, but the game glitches out when he gets all three multiballs running concurrently. The glitch makes the game think his balls have drained (oo-er) and ends his ball prematurely. The glitch then continues to screw things up by launching Johannes' ball

The tournament directors make the correct call by ruling this as a major malfunction. That means that basically Danielle gets an additional ball (for the one that ended prematurely) and Johannes also gets an extra ball (because the game started playing his ball without him touching the game). The easiest way to resolve that is to start a new game, but at the end Danielle will have his 2.1 Billion points from the first ball added on.

The danger (from Danielle's point of view though) is that if the same issue occurs again, the TD may well rule that the game is void and they need to replay a different game.

My brother and I are heading back to Pinball Republic in Croydon this weekend. It's great and it was empty. £15 to get in for non-members and all Free Play machines.

They have a list of current tables on the site and a back room full of the newer Stern tables. Godzilla is pretty good :) 

Hit up Brunswick Arcade near Russell Square, am now a Stern expert 😜

602AD231-868E-4B29-A4DC-BB72DEB56DBD.thumb.jpeg.56365bbcdcd981f73d1506e652a1a990.jpeg

I started with Godzilla and was super excited but to be honest I really struggled with it and didn’t really know what I was doing, plus a couple of shots seem to just send the ball back down inbetween the flippers which was super frustrating.

Turtles I wasn’t into either, Mando I was pretty disappointed, Rush never really interested me to begin with and did nothing to help shift that impression.

However, The Beatles was super fun, I think I’d basically completed the whole table in about 10 minutes but still, nice to have something different. Stranger Things was also fun but when you’ve defeated gorgon 3 times I’m not sure how long it would keep my interest. LED Zeppelin was enjoyable though. Satisfying to play and that spinner mech was cool.

Lastly, the winner of the bunch for me, Jurassic Park, just found loads of the shots really satisfying to hit, the speed and rythmns of it and I had a good idea of what I was supposed to be doing all the time, and such a great theme.

On 26/05/2022 at 12:47, Wizcat said:

Just a heads up for anyone interested - it's the IFPA Pinball World Championships this weekend. This is like the 'world cup' of pinball - an invitational for the top two ranked players in each country (and then additional spots filled based on world ranking, which inevitably means a surplus of US based players)

UK players this year are Andy Foster (a good friend of mine from Southport), and Sam McCourt (who runs Chief Coffee - another great pinball spot in London)

Streaming is on twitch.tv/pinballasylum and it's in Florida, so the UK times look like:
Friday
3pm – 5pm –> Session #1
5pm – 7pm –> Session #2
8pm – 10pm –> Session #3 (this will start 1 hour after the last group finishes Session #2)
10pm – midnight –> Session #4
1am – 3am –> Session #5 (this will start 1 hour after the last group finishes Session #4)
3am – 5am –> Session #6

Saturday
3pm – 5pm –> Session #7
5pm – 7pm –> Session #8
FINALS:
9pm – 11pm –> First Round (seeds 17 through 32 play)
11pm – 1am –> Second Round (Seeds 9-16 play the winners of the first round)
2am – 4am –> Third Round (Seeds 1-8 play the winners of the second round)

Sunday
2pm – 4pm –> Elite 8
4pm – 6pm –> Final 4 and 5th through 8th match
6pm – 8pm –> Championship, Consolation final

The last championships was in 2019 and if they can even slightly match the quality of that, then it will be a treat for sure. I've left a link below to one of the best games of pinball I've ever seen captured on stream.

Some basics about Dracula: There are three multiballs in the game. Coffin - started by shooting the coffin on the right repeatedly. Mist - started by 5 ramp shots then a shot to the hole at the back, which brings out the 'floating' mist ball.  The last multiball is hardest to start, but also has massive jackpots - Castle multiball, started either by shooting the dangerous standup targets to light locks on the ramp, or by seven shots to the ramp (to light a lock, then rinse and repeat - the third lock starts the multiball)

What makes Dracula so much fun is that all three multiballs can be played together (ie you can start one and then continue to do 'the things' to start the other multiballs). The game increases the basic jackpots as you do this, from 10 million for one multiball running, to 30 million if you can get all three going at once.

Plus the Castle multiball has incredibly valuable jackpots which are lit on the ramp and then collected at the hole at the back left (under the ramp)

Spoilery explanation for what happens during the game:

Reveal hidden contents

Danielle is on fire during his very first ball, but the game glitches out when he gets all three multiballs running concurrently. The glitch makes the game think his balls have drained (oo-er) and ends his ball prematurely. The glitch then continues to screw things up by launching Johannes' ball

The tournament directors make the correct call by ruling this as a major malfunction. That means that basically Danielle gets an additional ball (for the one that ended prematurely) and Johannes also gets an extra ball (because the game started playing his ball without him touching the game). The easiest way to resolve that is to start a new game, but at the end Danielle will have his 2.1 Billion points from the first ball added on.

The danger (from Danielle's point of view though) is that if the same issue occurs again, the TD may well rule that the game is void and they need to replay a different game.

Am watching, this is great! Also, they just mentioned pinballvideos.com which I've never seen mentioed before, quite the resource of table strategies!

Keith Elwin got a lot of coverage! So many great games, that was great to check in on throughout the weekend, discovered some excellent new tables. The old EM games are super tense.

-edit- ignore question,  all sorted overnight as new phone completed app migrations in background.

Migrated from my note 8 to a note 9 today and wanted to install pinball arcade on the new phone only to find its no longer available in the play store....it still works fine on my old phone but as that's being sold off really want to be able to get the game and my tables onto my new handset. Any advice would be welcomed. 

• 2 weeks later...