IGNORED

Pseudo-scenes that blew you away

Gabe

I think it's a part of a film that comes out of nowhere, perhaps out of context for the film/scene.

Like the Signs footage, you're looking at an alley way when for the briefest of seconds the aliens walks passed and looks at the camera. Short, sharp shock.

It is less that in Signs though, it is the moment the film has been building up to. You have your suspicions and with that scene everything is confirmed and the film changes.

For me the Daddy of all "comes out of nowhere, film changes" moments is still when "From Dusk till Dawn" turns from a sub-standard typical Tarantino fast-talking flick to a full on vampire slasher.

I haven't seen it for a while so I hope I'm remembering this correctly but there's a scene early on in Poltergeist where Diane

opens the kitchen swing door, it swings back towards the screen and then back open again and in that split second the entire contents of the kitchen has been rearranged. Chairs stacked weirdly on tables etc.

even with all the scenes that come after that point that's still the one that stays with me

It stuck with me as a kid, but having watched it again recently its not as effective as you think. It's only the chairs that have been rearranged (stacked on the table), and she's actually away from it for a few seconds.

Also, it's extremely noticeable that the audio completely disappears during those seconds (presumably whilst the crew put the chairs on the table). Really odd thing to do (they could have dubbed in some basic background noise afterwards) and that ruins the impact of the scene for me.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Poltergeist - to this day I can't hear the American national anthem without thinking about the strobing bedroom and the voices.

Edit: It's also me misremembering - they DID dub some sounds back in - its just that they are of a completely different volume/acoustics than the rest of the audio prior to it.

It's more noticeable on the DVD. But anyway here's the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT0u50g3v7I

If this is what you mean, then I've always liked this scene from Rules of Attraction. Doesn't really have anything to do with the plot of the rest of the movie but pretty funny nonetheless.

I was a bit iffy about The Rules Of Attraction, thought it'd be pretentious wank, but I love it and I especially love that scene.

Oh, here's a good one.

Jaws. When Hooper is checking the remains of the first victim. Right in the middle of it there's a shot of him lifting the arm up and saying, "This is what happens." What happens? There is no feed to that line and nothing after it. It just sits there, a complete anomaly in that scene. To this day, I have no idea why it's there.

Of course there's that scene from Inland Empire with The Face, imo the best jump scare ever.

inlandempire2.jpg

Shit, I've got that film on me shelf in its cellophane, and thats put me off watching it even more.

David Lynch's Eraserhead and Mullholland Dr are probably the two films that have put the fear into me most in recent times. It's just that feeling of unpredictability. I felt like I was almost losing grip on sanity watching Eraserhead. Over using my imagination, bound with the sense that anything can happen.

And that scene in Mullholland Dr where. .

276812548_b9403e1d75.jpg

slides from behind the wall, accompanied by some obtrusive industrial noise

Well that fucked me up after watching that on my own (in the afternoon :facepalm: ).

Oh, here's a good one.

Jaws. When Hooper is checking the remains of the first victim. Right in the middle of it there's a shot of him lifting the arm up and saying, "This is what happens." What happens? There is no feed to that line and nothing after it. It just sits there, a complete anomaly in that scene. To this day, I have no idea why it's there.

I can't shed any light on this exactly but recall Empire had some big anniversary issue around this time last year, edited by Steven Spielberg. In that issue he invited other film makers to ask him questions about his work over the years. Bryan Singer, who's so big a Jaws fan his production company is called That's Some Bad Hat, Harry productions, asked him what happened in that scene and Spielberg went on to explain it. I've tried to find the issue at work but it's nowhere to be seen I'm afraid.

As an addition to thread, what about the scenes during the end titles of Dawn of the Dead 2004?

It's camcorder footage showing the guy on his boat partying before the outbreak. Then it cuts, more titles, then there's a scene , obviously shot by the survivors, in which the boat comes upon a smaller boat with a beer cooler that's rattling. They open the box and there's a zombie head in there, still trying to eat. Cut to titles again and we're given a quiet scene of the boat arriving at a dock and the remaining survivors exiting the boat, only to be rushed seconds later by a gang of zombies who emerge from the forest. Cut to black. I think there's another scene in there as well, showing them running out of fuel and just letting the boat go where it wants.

I can't shed any light on this exactly but recall Empire had some big anniversary issue around this time last year, edited by Steven Spielberg. In that issue he invited other film makers to ask him questions about his work over the years. Bryan Singer, who's so big a Jaws fan his production company is called That's Some Bad Hat, Harry productions, asked him what happened in that scene and Spielberg went on to explain it. I've tried to find the issue at work but it's nowhere to be seen I'm afraid.

This is what Spielberg said about the 'This is what happens scene'

"I remember this very well. I had cut out a line of dialogue and inside the line of dialogue I manufactured artificially a new line: 'This is what happens.' Originally, he said more than that. I can't remember what he said exactly. (Editor) Verna Fields and I pieced together, 'This is what happens,' from other words he was saying because the scene was too long. I was able to cut a huge -- maybe 30-second -- part of the scene out, simply by cutting to the insert of the arm coming up and putting the words, 'This is what happens,' over it. I give Bryan Singer tremendous credit for catching it. That's amazing anybody caught that. This is the first time anybody's ever talked about it!"

Mentioned it before but the mad-doctor-with-a-knife scene in House on Haunted Hill (remake). It's a crap film, devoid of any scares, apart from that one low-budget, traditional CCTV scene. It's incongruous because it's all by-the-numbers flashy effects nonsense apart from that one flash of absolute low-rent brilliance. Scared the shit out of me.

Mentioned it before but the mad-doctor-with-a-knife scene in House on Haunted Hill (remake). It's a crap film, devoid of any scares, apart from that one low-budget, traditional CCTV scene. It's incongruous because it's all by-the-numbers flashy effects nonsense apart from that one flash of absolute low-rent brilliance. Scared the shit out of me.

Is that in the opening scene? Or am I thinking later in the film.

Edit: It's also me misremembering - they DID dub some sounds back in - its just that they are of a completely different volume/acoustics than the rest of the audio prior to it.

It's more noticeable on the DVD. But anyway here's the clip:

Hmmmmm, I think I preferred the version in my head better but thanks for the clip I hadn't been able to find one myself.

The thing about this scene and to some extent the Signs scene is the fact that it's in broad daylight and in a setting that you'd consider to be safe. It throws the usual 'scary things in the shadows' rule book out of the window and catches you off guard as a result.

This is what Spielberg said about the 'This is what happens scene'

"I remember this very well. I had cut out a line of dialogue and inside the line of dialogue I manufactured artificially a new line: 'This is what happens.' Originally, he said more than that. I can't remember what he said exactly. (Editor) Verna Fields and I pieced together, 'This is what happens,' from other words he was saying because the scene was too long. I was able to cut a huge -- maybe 30-second -- part of the scene out, simply by cutting to the insert of the arm coming up and putting the words, 'This is what happens,' over it. I give Bryan Singer tremendous credit for catching it. That's amazing anybody caught that. This is the first time anybody's ever talked about it!"

What the hell! It still makes no sense. Spielberg, you fiendish cad! As for no one else picking up on it, it's baffled me and my mates for years.

The thing about this scene and to some extent the Signs scene is the fact that it's in broad daylight and in a setting that you'd consider to be safe. It throws the usual 'scary things in the shadows' rule book out of the window and catches you off guard as a result.

In a similar vein, the bit in The Orphanage where the

old woman gets run over by a bus is totally shocking, again because it's a broad daylight scene where the pacing of the film dictates we're in for some light character development or perhaps some exposition. Instead there's a totally unexpected RTA followed by that REALLY frightening bit where she has a last gasp after they've covered up the body, accompanied by the lingering reveal of her shattered jaw. Shudder

In a similar vein, the bit in The Orphanage where the

old woman gets run over by a bus is totally shocking, again because it's a broad daylight scene where the pacing of the film dictates we're in for some light character development or perhaps some exposition. Instead there's a totally unexpected RTA followed by that REALLY frightening bit where she has a last gasp after they've covered up the body, accompanied by the lingering reveal of her shattered jaw. Shudder

Yeah, that's awesome. That whole film scared the hell out of me at the time. I remember watching it at the cinema, getting home to an empty, creaky house and hating it.

I found Paranormal Activity pretty scary too in the Blair Witch fashion (i.e. last minute or so). Adrenaline started going as it all went to shit properly.

Bit of a departure (seeing as the thread seems to be largely horror-based thus far), and probably me missing the point somehow, but the first thing that's popped into my head is the opening of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, where the cartoon with the adorable little baby plays out, then the "take" suddenly ends with a director yelling "cut!", and the 'toons actually wander out of the "set" and start interacting with real people, showing that the cute little baby is actually a middle-aged letch. Blew my mind as a kid, and grabs your attention from the word go.

Other than that, and going back towards the original trend of the thread, I still love the "News" segments in Starship Troopers, and all the quick cuts when the Icarus I is boarded in Sunshine...