rllmuk
Goose

Avatar 2, 3 & 4? & 5? - Now Officially James Cameron's next directing gigs

LOL despite that stupid long post I am not like a mega fan or something. Like, I've seen the movie twice rather than 15 times.

I also enjoyed the 3D. And the quiet moments. Ok i'll shut up now.

There's no doubt Avatar is superior to Prometheus and any Transformers film, that's not really up for debate. I just don't want to see Cameron locked into this world which, has nothing to offer me, for perhaps the rest of his filmmaking days. Actually thinking about it, who are they kidding? this films bloody six years old this year! Wouldn't expect to see anything of A2 for another 5 years, if at all

The first time I watched Avatar was proper 11/10 stuff for me, for all the brilliant reasons Smitty mentioned. Sadly, repeat viewings didn't have the same zing, and so I'm a bit hesitant about sequels. I'm sure they'll be solid, at least, but there was something about seeing Avatar for the first time that was actually quite mesmerizing. If not the lines themselves, then certainly the direction, music and drama.

I think Avatar suffers from that empty shell playing the main guy. Most of his other movies gloss over minor script deficiencies with the charisma and talent of their leads, which doesn't happen here because Worthington is a fucking terrible actor, with no presence or personality. It would be much better with anyone else in the cast promoted to protagonist.

But yeah, it's solidly made, the action is coherent and exciting, the plot is good as far as you like dances with wolves and Pocahontas. I assume the negativity is largely due to it's success.

If Prometheus is the best looking one star film ever, at least Avatar is a formerly great director pissing billions of dollars away on a three star film. It still looks like early nineties German furry art from Amiga demo disks, though.

• Upvote 4

I enjoyed the first one, great 3d experience. But I don't think it needed a sequel let alone three of them. It's a huge gamble and if the sequel under performs, it's going to take some selling of the next two.

It just seems like a waste of a great director who could have made three other movies in the time he'll spend on this.

I honestly didn't see why everyone was gushing over it at all. Apart from the visuals (which were stunning) I thought it was boring and silly. It was just a retelling of stories already been told but on an alien world. I've seen it once and have no desire to see it again or any sequels. Maybe I'll watch the sequels one day, but I won't be paying to see them at the cinema.

2 hours ago, Nick R said:

Well the series is set to get longer... add #5 to the thread title!

Cameron has previously said Avatar 2 would take place underwater, but that was before he added more sequels. If the second film is still set in the water, though, could one or more of the sequels be air- or space-based? In any case, Cameron didn’t say much about what the plot of these new Avatar movies might be, so your guess is good as ours.

Presumably he needs number 5 so he can do an ice-based sequel. Expect an announcement of lava-based sequel 6 soon.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

It's genuinely sad that Cameron will have wasted half his career on this vanity project.

Just thinking the same thing. Sad to think I'll never be interested in another James Cameron film. 

Cameron doesn't care about the cultural impact of his movies. His movies are simply a mechanism by which he can get people to give him loads of money to explore his own interests; development of 3D cameras, deep sea diving, exploration of the Titanic wreck.

The fact his avatar sequel is purported to be set underwater is indicative of this. He just wants to keep diving!

I don't think space opera is really his medium. He has a designer's sensibility in world-building and doing a Western on an alien planet shoves all that into the background. I like seeing all the little mechanical details he figured out, from the fact that the Terminator moves in this super-efficient way to stupid stuff like the Cool Guns in Aliens..

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mentazm said:

Avatar is the biggest money spinner with the smallest cultural impact in the history of the movies.

It pretty much single-handedly created the modern market for 3D films, so I'd say it had a pretty big cultural impact actually, in that it basically changed the way we watch movies at the cinema for at least a decade. 

3D died after Avatar though. All the cinemas rushed to install digi projectors with the help of Sony, and sacked all their projectionists. Then 3D died on it's arse and it's lasting cultural impact is no more projectionists in cinemas, meaning a worse cinema going experience for the public.

• Upvote 3