rllmuk
Goose

Avatar 2, 3 & 4? & 5? - Now Officially James Cameron's next directing gigs

I didn't think Avatar was shit, just very bland, despite the eye popping buckets of money being thrown at the screen. I found the story generic and predictable and all the characters annoying. The ending was ripped off from Cameron's own far far FAR superior Aliens.

Like Spielberg and probably a few more directors that I can't think of right now, Cameron appears to have lost the edge and lean-ness that made him so exciting in his first few films. Perhaps it's a natural side-effect of the ageing process.

It's such a odd film to say it did so well at the box office, you rarely see any avatar cosplay, posters, figures etc. Even 25 year old franchises like terminator, predator, robocop and rocky* have more merchandise coming out. I honestly believe avatar 2 will be a big flop in comparison, surely most people who saw the original did it just to see what the fuss was about tech-wise. Now 3D is about as popular as a fart in a lift, I doubt it will have anywhere near the box office draw. Also sam worthington's career has fallen off a cliff, shame that **

*and quite rightly so

** and quite rightly so

• Upvote 6

http://www.slashfilm.com/james-cameron-avatar-sequels-writing/

Cameron on the unusual writing process:

We tried an experiment. We set ourselves a challenge of writing three films at the same time. And I could certainly write any one of them but to write three in some reasonable amount of time – we wanted to shoot them together so we couldn't start one until all three scripts were done and approved. So I knew I was going to have to "parallel process" which meant I would have to work with other writers. And the best experience I had working with other writers was in television when I did Dark Angel. The television room is a highly collaborative, fun experience.

So we put together three teams, one for each script. The teams consist of me and another writer on each one of the three [films]. So I'm across all the films and then each one of them would have their own individual script they were responsible for. But what we did that was unique was we sat in the writing room for five months, eight hours a day, and we worked out every beat of the story across all three films so it all connects as one, sort of, three film saga. And I didn't tell them which one was going to be theirs individually to write until the last day. So everyone was equally invested, story wise, in all three films.

So, for example, the guy that got movie three, which is middle one of this new trilogy, he now knows exactly what preceded and what follows out of what he's writing at any given moment. We all consider that to be a really exciting, creative and groundbreaking experiment in screenwriting. I don't know if that necessarily yields great scripts but it certainly worked for us as a process to get our minds around this kind of epic with all these new creatures, environments and characters and all that.

Cause the first thing I did was sat for a year and wrote 1500 pages of notes of the world and the cultures and the different clans and different animals and different biomes and so on. And had a lot of loose thematic stuff that ran through that but I didn't a concrete story. I wanted to approach it more like, "Guys, we're going to adapt a novel or series of novels." Because I felt that kind of detail, even if movies can't ever be that detailed – it can be visually detailed, it can't be that detailed in terms of character and culture. But you always get this tip of the iceberg kind of thing. You sense it's there off camera or in the past of the moment that you're seeing. So I felt that was the way to do it.

Ah, Dark Angel - a hugely well-regarded series that captured the imaginations of legions of fans... surely the ideal model for anyone to base their writing upon! :ph34r:

(I haven't seen it. All I know of it is that Cameron put his name to it and Fox cancelled it in favour of Firefly. Was it good?)

All I really want are more wide shots from Pandora with characters walking about. If anything some of the images in Avatar were astonishing and really did a great job of giving the viewer a sense of place.

Now if they can just get a proper script this time for the sequels then it's all good!

Thank god you censored it out to preserve mine virgin eyes from reading "CUNT_SHITTER".

I was in work whilst typing it out, you insensitive C**T_SHI**ER

but who will save the trees? I still can't believe the guy behind 4 of the greatest films ever made this smurf shit. or that it made such a fuckton of money.

we've got this mineral that's hard to obtain...what shall we call it.... "Unobtainium"!

absolute horseshit . Horshitium :D

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

but who will save the trees? I still can't believe the guy behind 4 of the greatest films ever made this smurf shit. or that it made such a fuckton of money.

we've got this mineral that's hard to obtain...what shall we call it.... "Unobtainium"!

It's remarkable how many people pour such vitriol on this small and insignificant detail.

Unobtanium as a term has a long history, including in popular culture. It's a cheeky little reference or in-joke, and it's in the film for what, 2 seconds?

Are you 12?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

So he was going to make a Battle Angel Alita flick, and instead is going to make three more shitty Avatar films?

The only real consolation is that Battle Angel Alita would have been garbage too.

• Upvote 1

A lot of things. I'd say Camerons eye for what I'd call the motion of action is still very apparent.

I'm not a huge fan of Avatar but enjoyed it. I've no interest in the sequels at all but smitty is 100% right here. For all the blandness of the script and story (not essentially a dealbreaker for a film to still thrill you) the action was fantastic.

The whole climactic battle was great; flying fortress vs gunships, gunships vs alien bat-things, Na'vi fighting marines on the ground, the giant exoskelton fight....it was all brilliant.

• Upvote 2

Avatar was event cinema back in 2009. Will always be one of my favourite cinema experience even though the story is shit. No one will give a shit come 2017. I would only be interested if the whole film was made in IMAX but that won't happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So he was going to make a Battle Angel Alita flick, and instead is going to make three more shitty Avatar films?

The only real consolation is that Battle Angel Alita would have been garbage too.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK