Goose

Avatar 2, 3 & 4? & 5? - Now Officially James Cameron's next directing gigs

I am a little worried about the 48 fps looking like the shit you get on all modern TV's. But, I think, once it becomes the norm we'll appreciate the improved motion.

I hope.

I don't get that criticism. That's like if people had said that console games shouldn't have gone HD because it would look too much like PC games. An upgrade is an upgrade.

Cameron told the press at The Hobbit premiere that he hopes to have 2 & 3 written by February 2013, with a view to start shooting later in the year.

Avatar is now back up to three sequels - www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=107281

Marking a significant expansion of his already ambitious plans for the much-anticipated Avatar sequels, Academy Award-winning filmmaker James Cameron announced today that the films have grown in number from two to three.

Additionally, to help bring his growing Avatar universe to life and to expedite the process, Cameron has hired screenwriters Josh Friedman (War of the Worlds), Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planets of the Apes), and Shane Salerno (Savages, Salinger) to collaborate with him on the screenplays for the three films.

The three pictures will be filmed simultaneously with production beginning next year. The release of the first sequel will be in December 2016, with the second to follow in December 2017, and the third a year later. Avatar 2, 3, and 4 will be produced by Cameron and Jon Landau through their Lightstorm Entertainment banner. Like the original film, Lightstorm will work with Joe Letteri and his team at WETA Digital to realize the worlds of the sequels.

Commented Cameron: "Building upon the world we created with Avatar has been a rare and incredibly rewarding experience. In writing the new films, I've come to realize that Avatar's world, story and characters have become even richer than I anticipated, and it became apparent that two films would not be enough to capture everything I wanted to put on screen. And to help me continue to expand this universe, I'm pleased to bring aboard Amanda, Rick, Shane and Josh -- all writers I've long admired -­ to join me in completing the films screenplays."

Additionally, to help bring his growing Avatar universe to life and to expedite the process, Cameron has hired screenwriters Josh Friedman (War of the Worlds), Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planets of the Apes), and Shane Salerno (Savages, Salinger) to collaborate with him on the screenplays for the three films.

Josh Friedman used to run a pretty interesting blog about screenwriting, and one of the ongoing posts was about how he almost lost his credit on War of the Worlds to the writer David Koepp (Spiderman, Carlito's Way, Panic Room, Jurassic Park, Mission Impossible) - you have to scroll down to get to the posts- The Koepp And I- which comes in two parts but it's a kind of fascinating and depressing look at what happens when nobody really wants you to have credit on a movie.

http://hucksblog.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_archive.html

This is when the credits go to arbitration and he has to write a statement about why he thinks he should have joint credit as the writer on the movie...

So I write my statement. I can't give out any details but to say this: it was twenty single-spaced pages and I rewrote it more times than I do my scripts. I'm not exaggerating and here's why: it's worth more fucking money than any script I've written. A shared screenplay credit on WOTW puts my son through school. K thru Graduate. All private if he wants. He can probably bring a friend. Am i being crass? I don't think so. Because what it comes down to is BUSINESS. The studio does what's best for BUSINESS. They're SELLING a movie. Not trying to punish Josh Friedman. You MUST believe this or you can drive yourself crazy. Because ultimately arbitrations are the products of success. If you're not arbitrating, you're probably not getting movies made. Is there ego involved? Professional pride? The Quest for Justice?

Eh.

Gettin' all Norma Rae about it might help you but it just got me a little too hopped up and made it tough for me to sleep without drugs. The point is, it's a long and painful process. So whatever trick you play on your brain to help you write the best statement you can is strongly encouraged. For me I prefer not to consider the idea that the most powerful people in Hollywood don't like me.

I win the thing. Thank God. Because I cannot tell you how short this post would've been had I lost. There are rumblings. I hear that Koepp's not too happy (no shit), CAA's apoplectic (Koepp's agents), and my father takes the time to remind me that Koepp is only three years older than I am and (said with emphasis by Dad) ALSO A PRODUCER AND A DIRECTOR.

Don't ask.

So it's gold, right? I'm whisked away on everybody's shoulders (well, me on one shoulder and Koepp on the other).

Hmm. No. Because remember, this movie's been made so fast it's probably traveled through a wormhole and by the time the arbitration is done almost all of the advertising (especially the posters and trailers) is finished. And they don't go back and correct things. It's not like they pull 3500 trailers and start over. The studio is only responsible for any new promotional material going forward that hasn't already been finished.

Which means of course: I've got a credit on this movie and still nobody has any idea who the fuck I am.

• Upvote 4

I really don't have much interest it these. I haven't watched Avatar once since it came out in the cinema and that's mainly because I found it so dull. Yes the visuals were outstanding and it's still the only film I've seen (Dredd was good in places) where the 3D really worked well. Apart from that though everything else I didn't care for at all and the story is just a rehash of ones told previously but this time on an alien world.

Obviously this is a studio cash cow and that's why they're doing it but my overall reaction to it is just "meh".

Well I'm looking forward to it, just re watched Avatar for the third time and really enjoyed it again.

Sure the story line is clunky, but I loved Dances with wolves so Im ok with it, but the world is so brilliantly realised and the visuals captivate me.

I think it's sad that Cameron spent so long working on the world and a lot of it is so generic. It's a six legged horse or a lizard bird or (particularly) a cat person. Aside from the sex ponytails that they use to mind meld with animals there's not a lot in there which is remotely imaginative.

Imagine spending ten years building a world and coming up with "it's like a normal horse but with two more legs". It's a crime that he's given totally free reign with his imagination when that's not really his strength at all, his best movies and the best moments of them were all grounded in tangible thing which we understand. It makes me sad considering what some other genuine creatives might achieve with a budget like the ones he gets.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

There's no part of me that thinks Avatar was shit. I put that view down to revisionist history and a weird form of peer pressure. It's fashionable to hate on Cameron, but most people thought the film was great when it was released. Maybe that was just the hype and the 'new' of the 3D, but it does seem like someone just decided one day that actually Avatar was terrible and there's been this ever-growing wave of hatred towards it since then. Objectively speaking it's not very well written in terms of dialogue, but it's still a simple story told relatively well, it's visually stunning, the production design is amazing, the FX are stunning and it's well directed.

I'll watch the sequels.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I think it's sad that Cameron spent so long working on the world and a lot of it is so generic. It's a six legged horse or a lizard bird or (particularly) a cat person. Aside from the sex ponytails that they use to mind meld with animals there's not a lot in there which is remotely imaginative.

Imagine spending ten years building a world and coming up with "it's like a normal horse but with two more legs". It's a crime that he's given totally free reign with his imagination when that's not really his strength at all, his best movies and the best moments of them were all grounded in tangible thing which we understand. It makes me sad considering what some other genuine creatives might achieve with a budget like the ones he gets.

You criticise him for having aliens that are just variants on our own creatures, then you say he should focus on stuff that is grounded in tangible things we understand.

:sherlock:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There's no part of me that thinks Avatar was shit. I put that view down to revisionist history and a weird form of peer pressure. It's fashionable to hate on Cameron, but most people thought the film was great when it was released. Maybe that was just the hype and the 'new' of the 3D, but it does seem like someone just decided one day that actually Avatar was terrible and there's been this ever-growing wave of hatred towards it since then. Objectively speaking it's not very well written in terms of dialogue, but it's still a simple story told relatively well, it's visually stunning, the production design is amazing, the FX are stunning and it's well directed.

I'll watch the sequels.

It's hardly terrible, but the storyline is cookie-cutter 90's enviro-angst guff, the characters barely extend beyond their archetypal roles and the special effects can only carry it so far.

The fact that it's about an hour longer than it needs to be doesn't help.

You criticise him for having aliens that are just variants on our own creatures, then you say he should focus on stuff that is grounded in tangible things we understand.

:sherlock:

No, Broker's saying Cameron's not a futurist and doesn't have the imagination to pull off a spectacularly original sci-fi universe (which he was given a phenomenal budget to do).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I liked Avatar, I thought the 3D was really effective and helped paper over some of the weaker plot elements. But that was 2009 and we're not getting another James Cameron film until 2016 and when it does turn up, it'll be Avatar 2. I would have loved to see him work on something else instead. His stuff isn't always perfect but when he's good, he's pretty much untouchable. I just think it's a shame he's chosen to not only stick with Avatar's universe, but is now expanding it even further.

That means we're look at what, 2020 before we see something non-Avatar related?

• Upvote 1

I'll watch the sequels.

People could easily change their minds on second viewings though. The hype around it at the time is enough to make people like it more than they may usually. So many people at the time were all "ITS AMAZING, ONE OF THE GREATEST FILSM EVER" and I just thought that it really wasnt. It was average to good at best.

This isn't me being a Cameron hater either because I like other films he's done. But to me, the visuals and the 3D hype made this film a bigger success than (story wise) it deserved to be.

That means we're look at what, 2020 before we see something non-Avatar related?

Perhaps he'll change his mind, but he said a while back he's pretty much retired from moviemaking. He will only do the Avatar movies and his documentary type stuff. Basically his personal pet projects.

Perhaps he'll change his mind, but he said a while back he's pretty much retired from moviemaking. He will only do the Avatar movies and his documentary type stuff. Basically his personal pet projects.

So no True Lies 2 then :(

I'd read similar (I might have even posted it in this thread, that he was in the Avatar Business) but recently he'd also said he still plans to make Battle Angel. Though I guess he could just be producing.

Yeah, that is totally depressing. It’s a bit rubbish how Cameron went on about how he and his team had created an entire culture grounded in the ecosystem of a whole planet with their own language, customs, and interactions with the flora and fauna around them, and the end result is just a load of generic clichés of Native American lifestyle and behaviour, with added sex-tendrils and flying lizards. The aliens in The Abyss may have been a bit right-on and patronising, but at least they looked alien.

The other issue with the film is the way it shows that culture as being unassailably perfect and righteous, with the Na’vi having absolutely nothing to learn from us and all of Earth’s culture and technology being completely worthless. The film’s message would have come across as a bit less hectoring if they’d portrayed the two species as having something to be gained from working together. It’s quite a misanthropic film considering it has a nominally positive message.

• Upvote 2

The film’s message would have come across as a bit less hectoring if they’d portrayed the two species as having something to be gained from working together.

We taught them that dragons don't know how to look up.

• Upvote 1

I'd read similar (I might have even posted it in this thread, that he was in the Avatar Business) but recently he'd also said he still plans to make Battle Angel. Though I guess he could just be producing.

I'm not sure how I feel about that, Battle Angel's world is the most interesting sci-fi world I've ever encountered and is my personal dream project to be bought to screen properly. I feel like Cameron could direct that movie, but he couldn't write it, and its a story which depends on the bleak and dangerous atmosphere to function, which means that I'd feel censoring out the violent content at all would massively diminish the peril the characters continually find themselves in and would make it harder to understand how shell shocked they all are by the relentlessly hostile environment it's set in.

That said, if Cameron got a decent writer on board and gave it a giant budget but used it to prove that people will still pay for a violent, 18 rated movie then I'd forgive him for everything, even the 3D.

Yeah, that is totally depressing. It’s a bit rubbish how Cameron went on about how he and his team had created an entire culture grounded in the ecosystem of a whole planet with their own language, customs, and interactions with the flora and fauna around them, and the end result is just a load of generic clichés of Native American lifestyle and behaviour, with added sex-tendrils and flying lizards. The aliens in The Abyss may have been a bit right-on and patronising, but at least they looked alien.

The other issue with the film is the way it shows that culture as being unassailably perfect and righteous, with the Na’vi having absolutely nothing to learn from us and all of Earth’s culture and technology being completely worthless. The film’s message would have come across as a bit less hectoring if they’d portrayed the two species as having something to be gained from working together. It’s quite a misanthropic film considering it has a nominally positive message.

I think you couldn't stray too far from what we are and know on this planet because I don't think the audience would respond to it the way they did.

The aliens in this film had to be relatable, and taken so seriously that the audience would side with them and their values, so they are presented in a very similar fashion to us and our wildlife so the viewer can sympathise with them. I can't really see that working if they were totally alien looking. The lifeforms in The Abyss were presented as something to fear and relied on that * spoiler * right up to the end of the film when you discover otherwise * spoiler *

The film could've been more thoughtful in its approach and made them less righteous / perfect but it would've seen less of a return on the huge financial investment in the film. It's a painting-by-numbers storyline the kids can understand and global audiences can respond to the 'white people are the bad guys' racial context, especially in light of collapsing economies.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He also promised to do a film about the 2 nuke bombings as he wanted to make a film about that too. He even has another paid for book to exploit which he only bought last year!

Avatar wasn't about the story or any of that trad fluff, it was easily the most immersive film experience I've ever watched, if he can improve on that, bring it on. It felt completely flat by comparison when viewed in 2D.

I'm not sure how I feel about that, Battle Angel's world is the most interesting sci-fi world I've ever encountered and is my personal dream project to be bought to screen properly. I feel like Cameron could direct that movie, but he couldn't write it, and its a story which depends on the bleak and dangerous atmosphere to function, which means that I'd feel censoring out the violent content at all would massively diminish the peril the characters continually find themselves in and would make it harder to understand how shell shocked they all are by the relentlessly hostile environment it's set in.

That said, if Cameron got a decent writer on board and gave it a giant budget but used it to prove that people will still pay for a violent, 18 rated movie then I'd forgive him for everything, even the 3D.

I don't know why you'd be worried about Cameron of all people watering it down, he's only ever made two PG-13 rated films in his entire career (discounting his documentaries, obviously) and he wrote all of them, as well as things like Rambo 2 and Strange Days.

Avatar is alright, but hardly brilliant. It's a generic story that is basically a rehash of Ferngully, set in the most generic sci-fi universe with paper thin generic characters and it's also far too long. It could have been amazing but it desperately needed someone stood behind Cameron occasionally saying 'no' to him, someone to reign him in. Hopefully he can do something with the sequels and expanding the universe might make it more interesting and unique.

Can anyone give me a memorable quote from Avatar or a scene that has stuck with you since you first saw it???

No me neither.

I'd like to think Elysium is something he'd have been making now, if he hadn't spent a bit too much time underwater and gone batshit mental in the process. Avatar was one of the most disappointing films I've ever seen at the cinema.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

When they're in the jungle and the lights/flowers are all around them, when they pair with the dragon things, when he first wakes up in the new body and goes running..there was a lot of memorable stuff in the film, it was great fun watching it in 3D in the cinema, something that I haven't said about any film since.

• Upvote 2

Can anyone give me a memorable quote from Avatar or a scene that has stuck with you since you first saw it???

No me neither.

Aren't you overegging it a bit there? It may not have had the best writing but to say there are no memorable scenes is just nonsense.

Neil Blomkamp did a good job of getting the audience to sympathise aliens without having to resort to making the sexy space cat elves.

The $200m of paying people that went to see District 9 may have sympathised, but $2.4billion worth of tickets were sold to go see the more human aliens in Avatar, that's the difference I'm talking about.

"You're not in Kansas anymore!"

Everyone knows that Avatar quote.

• Upvote 1