Goose

Avatar 2, 3 & 4? & 5? - Now Officially James Cameron's next directing gigs

Wow. What the actual fuck are you talking about?

Read your previous post back to yourself. You sound so bitter, so angry about what is only a poor film (in your opinion).

I haven't brought up anything else, or made misplaced characterisation. Your post is full of hyperbolic nonsense.

Your tone is prissy and hostile. Now of course you've deployed your usual hysterical and overly dramatic "and I left, never to return" line, which you deployed about a dozen times in the original Avatar thread.

Christ mate its just a movie. You make it sound like Cameron raped your childhood.

Please do stay out of the thread. Your overbearing, studiously smug tone won't be missed. It would be pretty fucking tiring to read your bitter shite about how terrible Avatar was and what a cunt is for the next four fucking years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 11

As for the very last part of your post, it's still a really shit point, isn't it? I play games Gorf, Avatar doesn't look remotely like them.

Maybe Videogame cutscenes will look like that in ten years. But thats not what you said.

As for the line about Palestinians, that's just low of you. Trying to suggest I just chuck that out randomly.

I was only pointing out that despite your strident insistence (arrogant, aggressive) that NO-ONE could find Avatar politically or socially interesting, there were some real life people who actually did.

It was nothing to do with "shaming" you, it was underlining my point.

You just confused your pompous opinion with fact.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

Christ Gorf. I know you don't like the film, fair enough, but it looks like a 2010 cutscenes? Don't be ridiculous. Avatar was absolutely a landmark in visual effects and saying it looks like a 2010 Videogame cutscenes is absurd.

As for the thing about framerates, I think Cameron knows his onions when it comes to the technical stuff. Hes just talking about cinema in a technical way, I don't think you have to be so prissy and hostile just because you didn't like AVATAR.

Anyway, great news. I really enjoyed Avatar. Oh and I thought it counted as a great action movie.

Word.

If you tried not to pretend it was making a worthy statement and turned your brain off at the door, Avatar was a good action movie and an effects extravaganza. I enjoyed it purely on a "that looks really cool" level. OK, it helped that it was the first modern 3D movie I ever saw.

(Which is exactly how I felt about The Matrix, hence my earlier comment).

Cameron has been trying to get 48fps into film making for a while now, and it's not as if he doesn't have previous in attempting to push forward the technical barriers of the technology used in cinema.

24fps was only chosen because it was the slowest update rate the film industry could get away with, not because it was super awesome and the perfect update rate, a bit like those people who insist 30fps is perfectly fine for games...

Cameron explaining why 48fps is better back in 2008

If Cameron can use 3D as a trojan horse for 48fps cinema, then all will be forgiven.

Yeah, it is pretty difficult to argue for keeping things how they are if there is an alternative. You'd have to be blind not to see the flicker in the cinema, especially on wide pans.

http://mediadecoder....co-productions/

Apparently Cameron won't be doing any more movies, apart from Avatar sequels and documentaries. Not even producing or anything like that.

Q.

What about scripts that you’re looking at? Is there a project that you’re working on right now? Or subject matters or general areas of interest that you’re looking at?

A.

That’s interesting. I’ve divided my time over the last 16 years over deep ocean exploration and filmmaking. I’ve made two movies in 16 years, and I’ve done eight expeditions. Last year I basically completely disbanded my production company’s development arm. So I’m not interested in developing anything. I’m in the “Avatar” business. Period. That’s it. I’m making “Avatar 2,” “Avatar 3,” maybe “Avatar 4,” and I’m not going to produce other people’s movies for them. I’m not interested in taking scripts. And that all sounds I suppose a little bit restricted, but the point is I think within the “Avatar” landscape I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what I think we need to be doing about it. And doing it in an entertaining way. And anything I can’t say in that area, I want to say through documentaries, which I’m continuing. I’ve done five documentaries in the last 10 years, and I’ll hopefully do a lot more. In fact, I’m doing one right now, which is on this, the Deep Sea Challenge project that we just completed the first expedition. So that’ll be a film that’ll get made this year and come out first quarter of next year.

Apparently Cameron won't be doing any more movies, apart from Avatar sequels and documentaries. Not even producing or anything like that.

Thank fuck for that, hopefully he'll let go of the Battle Angel licence he's been holding on to for years instead of totally ruining it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I wonder what 'new' technology he'll try and convince cinemas and punters they need to invest in because it will totally change the way you watch films and you'll never want to go back afterwards. Avatar had 3D. Avatar 2 is 60 FPS. Maybe it's time for the return of smellovision for Avatar 3.

3 screens instead of one screen. Total Immersion Cinema

4 screens will only be possible if everyone has to slide down a pole into their seats

• Upvote 2

Seems Sigourney Weaver is on board for part 2, 3 and 4?

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/06/26/james-cameron-will-film-three-avatar-sequels-at-the-same-time

When “Political Animals” finishes shooting, see if you can follow Weaver’s schedule: she goes right into a new Christopher Durang play for a short run at Lincoln Center. Then she films “Avatar” 2, 3, and 4 with James Cameron. That’s right: they’re making three sequels to the blue 3D phenom all at the same time. Weaver says she has no idea how long it will take, or how it’s going to work. “I just show up,” she said.

Did the world need Cars 2 either? or Katzenberg's threat about Dreamworks CG animations, committing to making 3 sequels back-to-back is a bit presumptuous, should have gone for one and seen if there was much point continuing based on the reception to that, but I assume budgeting has something to do with it, Cameron is on record about wanting to do some other projects before Avatar reset the bar, I just hope he doesn't turn into Lucas in the process, a fate worse than death.

I wonder what 'new' technology he'll try and convince cinemas and punters they need to invest in because it will totally change the way you watch films and you'll never want to go back afterwards. Avatar had 3D. Avatar 2 is 60 FPS. Maybe it's time for the return of smellovision for Avatar 3.

Well I think its a no brainer

Avatar 4 will skip a gen and come out in 7-D

Isn't The Hobbit is getting made with the new faster framerate as well? It supposedly makes films look like TV movies. :(

Yeah, it's being shot at 48fps. I've heard it drops to about 20fps during the big battle scenes though.

• Upvote 7

I am a little worried about the 48 fps looking like the shit you get on all modern TV's. But, I think, once it becomes the norm we'll appreciate the improved motion.

I hope.