Goose

Avatar 2, 3 & 4? & 5? - Now Officially James Cameron's next directing gigs

1 hour ago, b00dles said:

Hopefully they can find a meathead bro that has some vague charisma and acting ability this time though. 

Stephen Lang was the best thing in the first one though.

1 hour ago, b00dles said:

Hopefully they can find a meathead bro that has some vague charisma and acting ability this time though. 

Too late. They've hired Sam Worthington for them all.

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Too late. They've hired Sam Worthington for them all.

I've been very lazy and not remotely looked but is this true? I still don't understand how he's managed to get roles in such big movies when he's clearly rubbish. 

25 minutes ago, b00dles said:

I've been very lazy and not remotely looked but is this true? I still don't understand how he's managed to get roles in such big movies when he's clearly rubbish. 

Well, he's only managed the Avatar series and the Greek Titan movies, really. I guess he got Terminator Salvation when everyone thought he might be the next big thing, but he's not really don't anything else of note. Aside from these blockbusters he's done generic action thrillers and very small character pieces. 

Unless you count Netflix Titan, but then if you've watched Netflix Titan, you probably wouldn't. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, b00dles said:

He was in hacksaw ridge as well, which was after those other films and had surely shown he isn't really any good. 

True, but I'd class that under character pieces, to be honest, rather than "big films". It had a $40m budget and was made by a Hollywood outcast. Worthington is a journeyman actor who has managed to land a couple of good gigs, nothing more. 

Fair point. 

He still might come into his own i guess, i suppose your brad Pitts/ mcconaugheys of this world weren't great to begin with either. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/02/2019 at 13:08, krenzler said:

These you'll want to see in proper 3D I'm sure. 

Avatar was taken to the next level by its stereoscopic presentation, if more films could pull off what James Cameron pioneered with that film, 3D would be in wider use, but Hollywood execs and the directors they usually employ don't have the courage or skill to match his peerless technical abilities.

Ang Lee is one of the few others working in the Hollywood system doing some interesting technical stuff, but he doesn't have the clout or mass appeal touch of Cameron, though he is arguably pushing the limits more and his 2nd attempt at HFR is slightly more mass appeal than his first indie effort, probably still fuck-all chance of finding a cinema showing it in full native quality.

• Upvote 1

Highly disagree, the stereoscopic presentation massively increased the immersion factor, best experience I've probably ever had at the cinema.

Saw it again at home when the director's cut was released, it was missing that extra immersion when shown flat.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

On 11/02/2019 at 18:03, mushashi said:

Highly disagree, the stereoscopic presentation massively increased the immersion factor, best experience I've probably ever had at the cinema.

Saw it again at home when the director's cut was released, it was missing that extra immersion when shown flat.

Saw it in 3D at the cinema and it did absolutely nothing for me and it certainly didn't distract from the nonsensical and predictable plot, two-dimensional characters, flat dialogue, and all-round boring experience. I never understood what got people all hot and bothered about Avatar, it seemed like everyday mediocre Hollywood blockbuster fare to me. 

• Upvote 2

I wear glasses, can't see without them. Having to wear an extra pair of glasses over the top of my glasses to watch a film makes cinema 3D a bloody awful experience.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Saw it in 3D at the cinema and it did absolutely nothing for me and it certainly didn't distract from the nonsensical and predictable plot, two-dimensional characters, flat dialogue, and all-round boring experience. I never understood what got people all hot and bothered about Avatar, it seemed like everyday mediocre Hollywood blockbuster fare to me. 

I similarly never understand why people get all hot and bothered about modern comic book movies, so I can completely emphathise with your viewpoint.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mushashi said:

I similarly never understand why people get all hot and bothered about modern comic book movies, so I can completely emphathise with your viewpoint.

I love modern comic movies so I don't understand your viewpoint.

• Upvote 1

3D is dead. End of. And its kinda crazy to make such a big deal about filming stuff in 3D when most of your imagery is generated by a computer anyway.

I'm guessing 3D is a misnomer, and actually Cameron has something more interesting planned with VR or something that is actually immersive.

Otherwise I think these films may be dead on arrival.

When this is released everyone will lose their shit again about 3D 

it will once again be mind blowing and I will fucking love it and go see it twice at the cinema and it will blow my mind both times

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

3D is dead. End of. And its kinda crazy to make such a big deal about filming stuff in 3D when most of your imagery is generated by a computer anyway.

I'm guessing 3D is a misnomer, and actually Cameron has something more interesting planned with VR or something that is actually immersive.

Is it really? I know amongst us sensible folk, it’s a load of shite, but don’t the majority of films still have most of their showings in 3D? It certainly feels like that at my local cinema.

My locals are very much a minority in 3D, and for a much shorter run than 2D. Even big blockbusters have been known to get one or two 3D showings a day for the first week only. 

3 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Its not 'end of' at all. Studios are investing millions in 3D. Just not in its currently incarnation. 6dof films are definitely coming. Disneys Lion king is being built around it being a fully 3D release at some point in the future. Not just 3D as in looking at a screen with parallax, as in the viewer existing within the frame. 

18 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

You are aware that VR is actually built on top of a stereoscopic display? ;) It's more immersive because you can look around too.

Though for a directed linear experience, it's always been debatable whether it's a good idea to allow the viewer's gaze to not be in the right place to see a crucial moment. I suppose if you create it like you're watching a stage play, then maybe that would fix that problem as people pay money to see those and are willing to suspend their disbelief.