Your controversial game opinions.

Pikkewyn

What?

Sometimes internet conversations are so unnecessarily convoluted...

All I meant was that there really aren't that many karting games in comparison to other types of racing games that I find it odd that MK gets called an average karting game.

Is that really that tricky to comprehend?

The obsession with intricate combination strings(usually against relative punch bags of enemies) and playing for style to get high scores\rankings that is threatening to become so embedded in character-action since the success of the Devil May Cry series and following into Bayonetta agitates me and is ultimately style over substance(though i do consider Devil May Cry 3 and Bayonetta 1 to still be excellent action games).

I want more action games that truly force you to master your available skillset to progress past each level, and not ones where much of the depth is in all honestly optional.

4 is a fucking masterpiece and 5 is hard for hards sake. So, just like dark souls then.

Well, that's certainly a hot take on a stealth game whose wide range of gadgets, forgiving AI and unusual (for the genre, including other MGS titles) willingness to allow the player to succeed via non-stealthy means turns it into a bit of a cakewalk, particularly as the game progresses (which is a large part of why I got bored of it).

I quite liked Ground Zeroes, and 5 until I got tired of it.

Otherwise, MGS 1 was fine but limited, even for its time, and the later games just felt more and more archaic as they never dealt with the mechanical limitations that had dogged it (until Ground Zeroes), and I never found the storylines in any of them to be much cop (though I only finished 1 and 2, and never played 4). And they've never managed a single decent boss fight, which is a bit of a shame considering that all of them load up on them, and get away with it by occasionally throwing in cheap gimmicks in place of actually satisfying design.

Also Revengeance was great, but obviously that's not a 'proper' MGS title.

Hey, I love Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64! Though I will admit the single player modes in all of them are lacking, and of course the series (particularly the single player) got a lot worse following the introduction of the blue shell - particularly when they started doing fun things like stopping you from being able to block it with a banana/shell of your own.

Still possed the post of course, as it's perfect for this thread.

I meant the 5/10 Edge score.

I don't play these big sprawling RPGs that everyone seems to love so much. I think they're a complete waste of time, and the only one I've even played in recent years was Mass Effect 2, which was a poor man's Gears Of War with lots of make-work window dressing around it.

What you played every Mario Kart game in the space of a few weeks and got fed up? Well I never.

Well no. What I did was play the Wii version and realised fairly quickly that it wasn't great and didn't have a lot to offer. I then decided to have a go of the others, since I'd only ever played (and loved, twenty years ago) the original. I started with the snes version and, after a brief period where I assumed I was just being shit at it, I realised it was deeply flawed and actually no fun to play. I them worked my way through the others that I could play to try to find the fun and found that the same flaws ran through the whole series.

They're average games that involve karts...

I found the whole experience quite surprising, given that I loved the original, and assumed I still would.

I have Street Racer on snes, which I also remember loving. So I'm going to give that a go to see how it measures up.

I actually preferred Street Racer to Mario Kart at the time. I remember it had some racist caricatures though like a big black jungle man with a bone through his nose driving a wagon of wood and brandishing a spear or the little middle eastern guy who's kart would turn into a flying carpet.