IGNORED

Your controversial game opinions.

Pikkewyn

I loved the build up to the flood before you found the Monitor. That was a seriously tense level.

I will say that the other Halo games aren't a patch on the first and I think that was primarily the fault of the overwhelming burden of expectation placed on Bungie's shoulders after the first did so well. Halo was a blank slate. 2, 3, ODST and Reach had to live up to it.

Furthermore I do think that, as a result, the best sequels to games are probably ones that were already planned before the first became a huge hit. I don't doubt that attempting to pander to fans and critics (something you see happening a lot in games) has an adverse effect on the final product. Did J.K. Rowling ask for opinions on The Philosopher's Stone before she took them into account for the writing of The Chamber of Secrets?

Controversial opinions:

Mario Karts are dull, slow (especially the DS version) and far too random to be a rewarding play experience.

DS9 is (by far) the best Trek.

Halo 2 wasn't that bad, the part where you played as the Arbiter and got to melee Brutes whilst cloaked was fun. In fact, I think the Arbiter is a great character.

KOTOR 2's story wasn't all that great, it does not deserve the fan-based mourning it still receives.

Pac Man is mind-numbing shite worthy of being played on your phone on the bog and nowhere else.

Edge is still great, the year of the triple 10/10 awards was delightful and each game deserved its praise.

Super Meat Boy is better than N+.

Gears of War 2 is a terrible, unexciting mess. A poor example of a shooter. (I don't think that's controversial, but there are too many GOW2 lovers here to let it lie).

Games ARE better nowadays than before, turn off your nostalge-o-vision.

Achievements have ruined gaming.

One of the best bits of the original Halo (and one I remember very fondly) was The Library. You, a shotgun, and the flood. What Doom should have become.

For such a daring and outlandish statement I am going to have to re-play Halo with this new outlook.

I find the whole negging thing bizarre but that's just my opinion. It may not be popular but I think it's worth contributing. As for the pinnacle of the series, it's the original Star Trek. I used to love watching that as a kid. The rest of them, less so. There's only so many funky looking humanoid aliens with mars bars on their foreheads that I can take. Or daft sunglasses visor things.

Despite not really liking any Star Trek (let's be real here, it's proper shit), I agree.

I don't think that any of Rare's games were as brilliant or standout as people make out. Good, but not brilliant. The way people harp on about how they've fell from grace doing Kinect stuff doesn't make any sense to me

I didn't even enjoy Goldeneye.

EDIT: I don't know much about the games before battletoads, Spectrum fans

I've struggled to find anything by Rare (and I mean Rare, not Ultimate) other than Goldeneye* or Viva Pinata that is actually good. The stuff they have done for Microsoft blows goats, by their own admittance Kameo was a bad idea and PD0 didn't even get the benefit of the doubt through being a lunch title. Microsoft is now basically using them to rip off Nintendo (avatars, shitty motion sports games). Rare are overdue making a original game thats actually good as VP was a few years ago now.

*and even then it's not quite the game some say

One of the best bits of the original Halo (and one I remember very fondly) was The Library. You, a shotgun, and the flood. What Doom should have become.

Quite. It's the best Doom since the original. I found the Library so nerve wrecking and adrenaline pumping. The human weapons came into their own, and it was more about herding Flood (with a shotgun, rather than a Collie) than the duck and cover fights against the Covenant.

Yes. Thank You. Stuff like this made the original a joy. One of the few xbox1 exclusives actually worth playing. 2 and 3 had none of the style or flair of the original and aren't fit to lick its boots in single player.

Not that controversial. I'm a big TNG mark, and the bulk of Voyager is quite good, but DS9 has the mother of story arcs.

Controversial opinions:

Mario Karts are dull, slow (especially the DS version) and far too random to be a rewarding play experience.

Halo 2 wasn't that bad, the part where you played as the Arbiter and got to melee Brutes whilst cloaked was fun. In fact, I think the Arbiter is a great character.

KOTOR 2's story wasn't all that great, it does not deserve the fan-based mourning it still receives.

Pac Man is mind-numbing shite worthy of being played on your phone on the bog and nowhere else.

Edge is still great, the year of the triple 10/10 awards was delightful and each game deserved its praise.

Super Meat Boy is better than N+.

Gears of War 2 is a terrible, unexciting mess. A poor example of a shooter. (I don't think that's controversial, but there are too many GOW2 lovers here to let it lie).

Games ARE better nowadays than before, turn off your nostalge-o-vision.

Achievements have ruined gaming.

Most of this is almost entirely wrong, but that's the nature of the thread I guess.

Back in the day I once read Kerraig saying how the library levels had become his favourites after a few playthroughs. Even though he was the God of Halo, I was all like sticking my tongue in my bottom lip but I didn't say anything. Gradually, in my own time, I found this also, it was like a long form revelation and cemented his expertise. At some point the Library levels were my favourite. I don't even mind brutes too much, I just really don't like those flying wankers from Halo 3 and Reach, the bug type things.

I've struggled to find anything by Rare (and I mean Rare, not Ultimate) other than Goldeneye* or Viva Pinata that is actually good. The stuff they have done for Microsoft blows goats, by their own admittance Kameo was a bad idea and PD0 didn't even get the benefit of the doubt through being a lunch title. Microsoft is now basically using them to rip off Nintendo (avatars, shitty motion sports games). Rare are overdue making a original game thats actually good as VP was a few years ago now.

*and even then it's not quite the game some say

Are you willfully ignoring Nuts and Bolts? I think it's one of the most original and refreshing games to play in the last few years on any console.

I started playing Red Dead Redeption last night and it's just fucking shite. 2 hours of trying to wrangle with dreadful character and "vehicle" controls while traversing vast distances to take cover then shoot a few dudes with dead eye on. YAWN!

For some reason I was expecting something visceral, then I remembered Rockstar made it!

Edited by Colonel Panic

I started playing Red Dead Revolver last night and it's just fucking shite. 2 hours of trying to wrangle with dreadful character and "vehicle" controls while traversing vast distances to take cover then shoot a few dudes with dead eye on. YAWN!

For some reason I was expecting something visceral, then I remembered Rockstar made it!

Do you mean Redemption? Revolver was the first game in the series.

Didn't DS9 come before B5?

Not that I don't agree that B5 is probably the stronger series.

JMS pitched B5 to paramount in 1989. They rejected it but then had a great idea for a Trek series with many parallels.

A race coming to terms with recent release from enslavement, an ancient civilisation that wants to bring about change through conflict, an unwitting/unwilling messiah at the helm, a nearby planet containg 'many secrets'.

Anyway, Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert have been rubbish since Lucasarts.

RPGs that depend on random battles and (to a lesser extent) turn-based mechanics are hold-overs from a time when seamless integration between story-telling and combat was a lot harder to pull off. They're holding us back. MASS EFFECT 2 FOR THE WIN!!!1111!!!!

JMS pitched B5 to paramount in 1989. They rejected it but then had a great idea for a Trek series with many parallels.

A race coming to terms with recent release from enslavement, an ancient civilisation that wants to bring about change through conflict, an unwitting/unwilling messiah at the helm, a nearby planet containg 'many secrets'.

hmm, fair point :)

J Michael Straczynski must have been gutted that not only did Paramount copy all those generic sci-fi plot devices that he invented, but that they went back in time, Star Trek IV-style, and told a load of 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s sci-fi writers to use them repeatedly until they became clichés.

J Michael Straczynski must have been gutted that not only did Paramount copy all those generic sci-fi plot devices that he invented, but that they went back in time, Star Trek IV-style, and told a load of 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s sci-fi writers to use them repeatedly until they became clichés.

BLAKE'S MOTHERFUCKING SEVEN. All of B5's balls come from this.

Miyamoto did Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 - I don't think he's lost it.

My controversial opinions

I hated Mass Effect.

I don't see the fuss over Half-Life 2.

Bioshock was massively over-rated.

Pretty much this +:

HALO is overated

Resident Evil 5 wasn't that bad

Blur is the best arcadey racer of the last 3 years

GTA4's multiplayer wasn't that bad (+GTA4 in general)

Most of this thread is comprised of the least controversial statements imaginable, i.e. along the lines of:

“I think Red Dead Redemption is quite good”

Fuck me, hark at Jerry Sadowitz here! I don’t think my mind can handle the shattering of so many preconceptions at once. It’s like I cooked up a shot of received opinion and sucked it up into the needle of boring cliché, only to discover I accidentally got sold a bag of painful truth. Now my brain’s spinning with all the hot shards of cold reality, shooting outwards from the paradigm that exploded in the centre of my fucking head.

Anyone else want to blow my mind further, and say “Condemned 2 was OK”, or “I didn’t like Half-Life 2 very much” again?