2012 London Olympics

djbhammer

It's a huge shame that we couldn't come up with a design that was even half as imaginative as the crows nest. What's even more amazing is that our stadium was significantly more expensive. Beijing was an amazing spectacle, but I don't think it had much artistic merit, was totally humourless and about an hour too long.

That's this country for you. Remember the amazing 2002 FIFA World Cup Japanese stadiums? Far far cheaper than Wembley, yet they look way more modern, with moveable pitches and even cool toilets!

It's a huge shame that we couldn't come up with a design that was even half as imaginative as the crows nest. Architects have slated it. What's even more amazing is that our stadium was significantly more expensive. Beijing was an amazing spectacle, but I don't think it had much artistic merit, was totally humourless and about an hour too long.

Of course it was more expensive. What do you think the relative labour costs are?!

Of course it was more expensive. What do you think the relative labour costs are?!

Fair point, but still, ours looks piss poor compared to their stadium. It's a hugely unambitious and underwhealming construction. There's cost $400m+, ours cost £500m+.

I'm predicting it will be 50% amazing, 30% boring, and 20% embarrassing.

Just noticed there are farm animals as part of the ceremony, embarrassment confirmed!

I do have a generally good feeling about it though, the set looks pretty nice.

I hope I'm not alone in thinking Damien Walters would've been a brilliant choice for the lighting of the torch. He's an amazing gymnast/free runner. Would've been special to see him go through a ridiculous amount of back flips and whatever else in lighting the torch. Or wall running above it and light it. If not incredibly less ceremonious than what we're used to.

Fair point, but still, ours looks piss poor compared to their stadium. It's a hugely unambitious and underwhealming construction. There's cost $400m+, ours cost £500m+.

But you have no idea as to how it actually performs as a stadium. Which is the point of a stadium, not looking fancy. It has to be relevant and fit for purpose - that comes before all else. Old Trafford looks boring from the outside but go on derby day and you'll never forget it.

I have a bottle of red open and I may blub like a girl within 5 minutes of the start.

Bring it on London

:omg: :omg:

:lol: I'm glad it's not just me then, I'm so with you. Been watching the build up from over here in NY at work all day and feel really emotional about it all tbh. Dunno what it is, pride, madness, being an old emotional wreck?!?!

Do us proud I say... :D

But you have no idea as to how it actually performs as a stadium. Which is the point of a stadium, not looking fancy. It has to be relevant and fit for purpose - that comes before all else. Old Trafford looks boring from the outside but go on derby day and you'll never forget it.

A construction of such magnitude should have at least some artistic merit. This has non, according to me and numerous other well regarded architects.

Despite that though, I'm looking forward to the opening. I don't think many people would envy having Danny Boyles job tonight, especially following Beijing.

Just saw the start lists for the cycling road race:

http://www.london201...-men-road-race/

Do the countries with just one rider have any sort of realistic chance of getting anywhere? I know the British cyclists are saying their tactics are basically "shield Cav for 99% of the race and sure he's up the front to sprint for the line with 300 metres to go", so - although I don't know all that much about road cycling - I can't imagine that any of the loners have a hope in hell!

Best they can do is try and steal the back of someone else's wheel in a leadout train, but it would require a bit of a sneaky and unsporting effort to do so (since that kind of thing is generally frowned on in cycling). I would not expect anyone in a team of under 5 members to have a realistic shot at winning this one.

Never really understood the point of a generally flat road race at the Olympics though. Single leg races should arguably have a couple of hill climbs to make it a bit more of an individual effort.

Despite that though, I'm looking forward to the opening. I don't think many people would envy having Danny Boyles task tonight, especially following Beijing.

Especially after they admitted cgi'ing loads of the 'amazing' fireworks after the event, bit unfair really!

A construction of such magnitude should have at least some artistic merit. This has non, according to me and numerous other well regarded architects.

Artistic merit comes from its function. Like, you know, the Olympics taking part in it.

A modern building should derive its architectural significance solely from the vigour and consequence of its own organic proportions. It must be true to itself, logically transparent, and virginal of lies or trivialities.

This is going to be brilliant. The whole couple of weeks.

Getting to see loads of sports you don't really get access to most of the time.

Handball

Hockey

Archery

Kayaks

etc

I fucking love this.