2012 London Olympics

djbhammer

Probably already been covered but why is the opening ceremony so late? We're Time Zone 0, wouldn't midday have been the primo time?

There was something about American telly, but they're not showing it till prime time anyway.

I'm liking the "green and pleasant land" set. We know they'll shift it during the ceremony, so I wonder how they'll manage that.

Convert it into some satanic mills. The industrial revolution, and lots of sports rules, was Britain's "gift" to the world.

Not sure why you've got quotes around that, we should be rightly proud of our invention of industrialisation. But I just meant how they're going to physically move all that set around. Is it going to sink into the floor?

The Beijing opening ceremony is probably still my favourite ever experience of watching HD TV... I've not read anything about what's going to be happening tonight, but hopefully it's going to compete with that event for pure high-def eye candy.

Surprised to hear that they're still rehearsing outside the stadium even now though, and the trucks and other random construction stuff scattered around the edge of the running track seems a bit unorganised.

The evening would have been a bit more special if we could see the sun setting over the Olympic Park.

A heat wave all week suddenly changes to blanket cloud today and showers predicted for most of next week. Charming, Mother Nature, just charming.

Just saw the start lists for the cycling road race:

http://www.london2012.com/cycling-road/event=cycling-road-men-road-race/

Do the countries with just one rider have any sort of realistic chance of getting anywhere? I know the British cyclists are saying their tactics are basically "shield Cav for 99% of the race and sure he's up the front to sprint for the line with 300 metres to go", so - although I don't know all that much about road cycling - I can't imagine that any of the loners have a hope in hell!

So the introducer on the beeb just introduced the London 2012 games, is this because the BBC are not an official sponsor ?

They're the official broadcaster (and they have used the Olympics name on the EPG), so no.

Can't get excited about the stadium though it has to be said, the shots of the immediate surrounding area aren't inspiring either. All looks a bit bland.

It's a huge shame that we couldn't come up with a design that was even half as imaginative as the crows nest. Architects have slated it. What's even more amazing is that our stadium was significantly more expensive. Beijing was an amazing spectacle, but I don't think it had much artistic merit, was totally humourless and about an hour too long.