2012 London Olympics

djbhammer

I just hope he is fit as he can be. A fully fit Bolt, being pushed to the limit by Yohan Blake might just produce something even more staggering than Berlin in 2009. I just hope that cheating fuck Gatlin doesn't get a sniff. Unfortunately he is in medal form.

I need to travel from Borough to Euston on Friday to catch a train at 6pm. I can leave work at 4.30 but I'm worried I'm gonna crash into hordes of people trying to find their way to the opening ceremony. That Get Ahead of the Games website has no info about busy stations that evening. I'll be fine hoping on the tube, right? Right?! I might just walk.

My feeling is that you'll be OK, it's just one Northern line tube to Euston from Borough. It's not as if there hasn't been various events at The O2/North Greenwich Arena that tens of thousands of people have gone to before, or the multiple football events in London. That said, the Tube system will probably be busier than normal due to rush hour as well.

I'd say your 1 1/2 hour time is more than enough. In the direction you'll be going, they'll be getting off at London Bridge or Bank anyway.

Why are Team GB doing a training camp in Portugal? Surely that's spectacularly retarded?

It's actually a brainwashing camp. They're being forced to watch sponsor adverts on a loop 24 hours a day.

It's Portugal because they can't do it in Geneva Convention countries.

Why are Team GB doing a training camp in Portugal? Surely that's spectacularly retarded?

Surely given how everything else has played out, the only thing that makes sense to do is something that makes no fucking sense at all.

Medal design revealed:

1238332_M01.jpg

The medals' circular form is a metaphor for the world. The front of the medal always depicts the same imagery at the summer Games – the Greek Goddess of Victory, Nike, stepping out of the depiction of the Panathinaiko Stadium to arrive in the Host City.

The design for the reverse features five symbolic elements:

David Watkins said of his design: ‘It is exciting to think that the finest athletes in the world will be wearing my medal design next summer. Its key symbols juxtapose, front and back, the goddess Nike for the spirit and tradition of the Games, and the River Thames for the city of London. I hope the medal will be enjoyed and treasured as a record of great personal achievements in 2012.'

Seb Coe, LOCOG Chair, said: 'I hope that seeing the design of the London 2012 Olympic medals will be a source of inspiration for the thousands of athletes around the world who are counting down the year before they compete at the greatest show on earth. All of our preparations are focused on ensuring the athletes are at the heart of the Games, and I believe that through this rigorous process the panel of experts have selected an artist and a design for medals that all athletes would be proud to own.'

• The curved background implies a bowl similar to the design of an amphitheatre.
  • The core emblem is an architectural expression, a metaphor for the modern City, and is deliberately jewel-like.
  • The grid suggests both a pulling together and a sense of outreach – an image of radiating energy that represents the athletes' efforts.
  • The River Thames in the background is a symbol for London and also suggests a fluttering baroque ribbon, adding a sense of celebration.
  • The square is the final balancing motif of the design, opposing the overall circularity of the design, emphasising its focus on the centre and reinforcing the sense of 'place' as in a map inset.

Good call. I'd also forgotten about Keith Harris and Orville. They had better feature in the ceremony in some capacity.

Imagine the stadium lights being turned off and replaced with a single spotlight focussing on Orville flying into the stadium. It would be a tribute to our British "can do" attitude.

Although I imagine that a spectacle like that would cost millions.

I don't know why they even bother making a bronze medal. No athlete will ever be asked to go on Saturday Morning Kitchen to show everyone their glittering bronze medal collection and inspire children to go for third place.

I just hope he is fit as he can be. A fully fit Bolt, being pushed to the limit by Yohan Blake might just produce something even more staggering than Berlin in 2009. I just hope that cheating fuck Gatlin doesn't get a sniff. Unfortunately he is in medal form.

I think the weather will be a key factor. If it's something like this week, I reckon we'll see the first all sub-10s 100m race, but chances are conditions won't be conducive to fast times, especially at that time of night.

Imagine the stadium lights being turned off and replaced with a single spotlight focussing on Orville flying into the stadium. It would be a tribute to our British "can do" attitude.

Scene: Stadium in darkness.

Spotlight: Orville in the centre of the stadium.

Warbling high pitched voice: A rendition of "I believe I can fly".

Action: Sir Steve Redgrave passes Orville the torch.

Action: Orville, full of the Olympic Spirit , takes off and lights the Olympic Flame.

Action: Orville unfortunately falls into the cauldron and goes up in smoke. There are some warbling screams.

Cut: Close up on crying child. Roll credits.