2012 London Olympics

djbhammer

Ooof - I don;t think we will get anywhere near that. We should be looking to exceed what we did in in Beijing, which in itself was an incredible achievement ( thanks in the main to an astonishing cycling line up) but 95 medals and 27 golds? That would be amazing indeed.

The article is slightly misleading too - Having the most medals does not put you at the top of the medal table; its ranks in gold silver and bronze order. I.e. 1 gold is worth more than 1 silver or 1 bronze.

It's kinda interesting how the limelight has shifted towards added sex appeal in athletes the last few years.

I couldn't remember which one vic pendleton was (I think I had her mixed up with a swimmer), so google imaged her. Cue loads of hot magazine shots etc.

Then you have dancing girlon the last page, and that whole thing a few years back with the vaulkter etc etc.

Some seem to embrace it as part of the celebrity, others seem annoyed and maybe think it gets in the way of the sport.

That's a problem which stems from England using the British national anthem for their matches. England should have something else as their national anthem.

Yeah that's always confused me. Land of Hope and Glory seems the obvious choice.

or the themetune from Going For Gold

Going for gold!

The heat is on, the time is right,

It's time for you, for you to play the game.

'Cause people are coming, everyone's trying,

Trying to be the best that they can,

To reach for the sky 'cause the stakes are so high,

When they're going for, going for gold!

Go for it - for gold!

Go for it - only the best survive

Go for it - for gold!

Go for it and you can take the prize

Go-ing for... Gold!

Making a way in the world,

It's hard and easy.

Trying to get where we wanna be,

That's the toughest thing of all.

All we need is a little more getting-it-right,

All we need is a little more sa-cr-i-fice,

Learning more and more, what we're striving for,

When we're going for gold.

So the heat is on and the time is right,

It's time for you, for you to play the game.

'Cause people are coming, everyone's trying,

Trying to be the best that they can,

To reach for the sky where the stakes are so high,

We're all going for, going for gold!

Go for it - for gold!

Go for it - only the best survive,

Go for it - for gold!

Go for it and you can take the prize,

Go for it - for gold!

Go for it - only the best survive!

headbang.gif

It'll be a man, who gets run down by a crazy cow, from one of the other bit of the ceremony, then a paramedic will skip to him and strap him to the back of an ambulance made of children. They'll twirl him to the hospital, where he will be passed bodily to a nurse, she'll go and dance with the doctors who will twirl back with her, fix the chap up, then they will all dance together and leave him on the side of a road, in the rain.

Did your friend mention whether the opening ceremony is excrutiatingly bad, overall? It's the only bit of the Olympics I'm really, really not looking forward to. Surely it's going to be a shambles? :unsure:

She's pretty positive about it, but then she's been working so hard on it that's what you'd expect. Loads of people are attending a technical rehearsal tonight, so anyone looking for spoilers should have full reviews in a few hours.

In other news, looks like Idowu is still having injury trouble. Not long now to get fit!

I don't think I want to look. If anyone posts them here, could you spoiler tag them please?

Seriously! :o

The only bit I was vaguely interested in was the firework display. Ideally I'd like access to a timetable so I can work out if I can let my girls stay up to watch the fireworks or if it'll be on too late.

GIrlfriend's at the rehearsal of the opening ceremony at the moment, posting pictures to facebook. it looks quite...strange.

I'm pretty sure she'll have signed a document forbidding her from doing that. Be careful!

Bit of an odd question, but does anyone know of any good American journalists who'll be writing about the Olympics "experience" (shudder) in general, rather than just the sport? I'm always interested in reading foreign accounts of London in English

Reading about Bolt. In his autobiography he wrote.

it is said that the population of the earth is 6.8 billion, and that approximately 107 billion have lived on this planet since man came into being. It doesn't get any cooler than knowing you are the fastest of them all.

He doesnt even tie his shoes.

article-1045958-024DCEF700000578-905_468x558.jpg