rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Systemshock

Ocarina of Time

The Water Temple was the reason I completed OoT three years after I bought it. I just couldn't do it. And Shadow Link... Took me about half an hour to put him away using the Master Sword.

Well, I finished it two nights ago, and I can't believe I ever used to make a fuss of it. Absolutely sailed through it, I don't know what I was playing at before. Only sticking point was travelling through a whole section only to be faced with a locked door, then mucking about with the water levels to get the final key, and also running out of magic for this fella!

WaterTemple.jpg

Were people saying you're supposed to use the hammer here? I couldn't lay a single hit on him. I killed him just as I did in 1998, via repeated use of Din's Fire, and topping up with a magic potion.

Anyway, after that it was on to the Shadow Temple, which is a piece of cake but enjoyable and atmospheric. Best of all is that after you've defeated PHANTOM PENIS BOSS: BONGO BONGO, you get one of my favourite gaming views of all time:

Graveyard.jpg

Ah, lovely! :D

Off to the Desert next!

I did the desert colossus before the shadow temple on my last play. Which, of course, is nothing short of amazing.

It's pretty strange seeing Dark Tony. :D I'm adverse to calling him anything other than Link, as i'm sure many other geeks are.

The Zelda games and I had no history before OoT, so when it prompted me for a name I just put mine in. I've done it ever since.

I'm wallowing in Zelda at the moment, I should be careful not to OD before the 8th. Got the music on my iPod, OoT on the go, and fetched the N64 out of the loft ready for Majora's Mask. Maybe I can fit WW in before the 8th too...

I hope there are some of those in TP, like the Ice Cave and the Bottom of the Well.

I loved the Bottom of the Well, while I was doing it I had no idea that it's pretty much a requirement to finish the game (isn't it?), and the feeling of discovering this dungeon was so exciting. When you figure out the puzzle and the words "Bottom of the Well" appear on the screen... magic.

I'm wallowing in Zelda at the moment, I should be careful not to OD before the 8th. Got the music on my iPod, OoT on the go, and fetched the N64 out of the loft ready for Majora's Mask. Maybe I can fit WW in before the 8th too...

I've actually put off playing Majora's Mask and replaying OoT and Wind Waker recently because I don't want to get all Zelda'd out by Decemeber 8th. I find I quite easily tire of types of games, and I really don't want to spoil Twilight Princess! (I'm also one of those who has avoided all spoilers - except for the very first E3 Cube vid - sad I know :D ).

Were people saying you're supposed to use the hammer here? I couldn't lay a single hit on him. I killed him just as I did in 1998, via repeated use of Din's Fire, and topping up with a magic potion.

The hammer was what I used originally back in '98. I also discovered on subsequent playthrough that he has no defence against the BigGoron's Knife, as he can't keep out of range of the lunging attack...

Looks like you discovered another way I hadn't even considered!

Yeah, I think you'd have a hard time finishing the game without the Lens of Truth, especially with those invisible hookshot points and so on.

I know what you mean about the Well. Having to make the mental leap of "Hey, so if I go back as the child Link and play the song of storms...", then being rewarded with a little dungeon, and a cool new object. Pure genius.

It's also the first time you fight a Dead Hand, the creepiest, campest, Multi-limbed Albino Beast, EVAR!

I loved the Bottom of the Well, while I was doing it I had no idea that it's pretty much a requirement to finish the game (isn't it?), and the feeling of discovering this dungeon was so exciting. When you figure out the puzzle and the words "Bottom of the Well" appear on the screen... magic.

this is one of the things I really loved about TooT. There you were, thought you'd been all smart and discovered a secret that no one else in the world had found - and it was a requirement to finish the game in the first place.

I still don't know how the designers managed to steer me in the right direction to go there - but it was an excellent bit of design.

I got up to some fire temple or other in OoT and got so pissed off falling down to the previous floor and having to redo five or ten minutes' worth of climbing that after a few goes I stopped playing and never went back.

The tight rope thing? I got to that bit last night and kept falling off. Turned it off after a while proclaiming I wasn't going to bother with it again (it's my first time playing OOT). I was playing it again 30 minutes later.

The hammer was what I used originally back in '98.

How though? I couldn't get a single hit on him.

Din's fire hits him every time, without fail. About 8 hits kills him I think, without him ever touching you.

The tight rope thing? I got to that bit last night and kept falling off. Turned it off after a while proclaiming I wasn't going to bother with it again (it's my first time playing OOT). I was playing it again 30 minutes later.

Is this the bit where you have to run up in a spiral to get the hammer? I just left a warp point at the top.

How though? I couldn't get a single hit on him.

Din's fire hits him every time, without fail. About 8 hits kills him I think, without him ever touching you.

Is this the bit where you have to run up in a spiral to get the hammer? I just left a warp point at the top.

My memory is hazy, but I positive it's what I used! It was either timing or counterattacking...

Don't make me replay the entire game again to find out! This thread is tempting me badly enough as it is!

I revisited this recently via emulation (the only way I can these days) as part of a DM thing I'm busy with, and I just wanted to keep playing as opposed to saying "my work here is done" and moving on. I think a more dedicated replay is in order...

Wait, what now? Warp point? Hammer? I'm in Goron City or something. Crazy guys that eat rocks. Was never a fan of Zelda but a couple of my mates have kidnapped my family and won't return them until I play Ocarina. Glad they did. Am greatly enjoying it so far.

Wait, what now? Warp point? Hammer? I'm in Goron City or something. Crazy guys that eat rocks. Was never a fan of Zelda but a couple of my mates have kidnapped my family and won't return them until I play Ocarina. Glad they did. Am greatly enjoying it so far.

Oh, er - therev said Fire Temple, which is a very specific place later in the game.

Sounds like you're either in the Goron City, or in the subsequent Dodongo's Cavern. Only ropes I remember running on in there are right at the top of the city? Can't even remember if you absolutely have to go up there.

Your mates are on the side of the angels. :D

Even though i knew it was easier to use The Megaton Hammer, The Giants Knife or Din's Fire I was adverse to taking down Dark Link with anything other than fancy swordwork & proving I could indeed "conquer myself" as the description says.

I searched for a "neat" way of killing Dark Link for ages. I contemplated a whole "mirror" puzzle, in which you cunningly had to use his own power against him somehow, I looked for clues in the environment and on the objects/doors, I tried everything.

Needless to say I was extremely disappointed when my housemate killed him by hitting him a lot.

Gah! Why didn't I think of that! I did it the hard way, using the hookshot, and then running like billy-o.

I mean of course "at the top of the level", so that if you fall off the spiral bit you can quickly try again. Don't recall using the hookshot.

Finished this the other evening by the way. Still magical, and the end credits had me a bit choked.

I'm thinking of a section where you flick a switch to turn of a ring of fire round a chest then you have to run up a narrowing spiral walkway and get to the chest before the timer runs out. There's a slope before the spiral walkway with a hookshot column at the top, you can use that to get up slope more quickly. Anyway I managed it after about 10 attempts.

I finished this the other night as well. I was amazed by how easy the last level was. I did the whole thing in about an hour and during the last boss fight I only got hit twice. I guess it's a bit like riding a bike, it just comes back to you.

Oh, and the end sequence is really quite beautiful. I wasn't crying though, I just had something in my eye.

I've always been bloody hopeless at the Ganon plasma/lightning 'tennis' malarky, so i've never found him *that* easy. Man, the tension is unbelievable when you're almost finishing up, and you've got a couple hearts left... :)

I only just realised on this playthrough that when he fires 5 balls at you at once, a charged sword attack will knock then all back at him.

Here's something though - on my first playthrough, my mate and I thought the sword didn't work this time round, and we couldn't work out what to use. I think it's just that we were crap at timing it.

Anyway, we tried everything, until I realised that you can knock the lightning balls back with...an empty bottle!

For ages I thought that was what you were supposed to do.

I've always been bloody hopeless at the Ganon plasma/lightning 'tennis' malarky, so i've never found him *that* easy. Man, the tension is unbelievable when you're almost finishing up, and you've got a couple hearts left... :)

I beat Demon Ganon in the Forest Temple without figuring out the tennis thing. So on my 10th attempt at the final boss when I gave that a try ;) Good grief, what a moment.

Yeah, that's the bit I meant.

There's a bit in the end credits where the music changes as Mido looks up and sees the Sages flying overhead.

Gulp.

The church bells still do it for me.

I always thought that you beat Dark Link by NOT using the "lock on" when you attacked him - I seem to remember this worked well and that he wasn't that difficult to kill.

Yeah, the first time you do it is grand. The timing though...I always thought it expected you to do it a tad on the early side. I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with the PAL version. :)

Davros - I didn't know you could reflect the 5-ball attack...and I certainly didn't know you could use a bottle. ;)