The Alan Partridge Thread

Just heard chapter one. It's good stuff. Alan talks about this new format:

Spoiler

"Frankly it's new territory, so you're gonna have to adjust! Some people will thoroughly enjoy it and embrace this new experience with an open-minded positivity. Of course there'll be a few people who dislike it. People who say "I prefer Alan on television", or clever people who say "I preferred the early stuff". But the people who say things like that, I'm afraid, are just unhappy people. 

And they will be yet more people who have no view whatsoever, and I'm fine with that, I completely respect their lack of interest, and they don't need to tell me that if they see me at an airport. They can just keep it to themselves, I'm fine with that as well."

It also seems like Alan voices the ads between podcast episodes :lol:

1 hour ago, Bazjam said:

I thought podcasts were meant to be free to audible subscribers? They’re asking for a credit for this as if it was an audio book. Robbing Bastards.

It is an audiobook. It's a podcast parody, with 18 'episodes' in the audiobook.

7 minutes ago, NickC said:

It is an audiobook. It's a podcast parody, with 18 'episodes' in the audiobook.

Ah ok. Every time I heard it mentioned people kept referring to it as a podcast, and as audible do podcasts I assumed that’s how it would be released. Annoyingly I told my wife that she could have this month’s audible credit.

Been listening to the Oasthouse over the last couple of days. I caught myself singing the theme tune to myself number of times. It’s not grabbed me as quickly as IP:WNTTAA and Nomad, but I’m sure repeated listens will reveal more charms.

His ageing voice is brilliant, it’s great to follow a character evolve over so many years. 

It's brilliant so far. I love the variety of it: you get Mid Morning Matters-style Pure Alan, where it's just him saying and doing whatever comes into his head, like when he's test-driving Lynn's stairlift, or coming up with ideas for films. And you get Plot-Driven Alan, like where he goes to a local school to give a speech and inadvertently turns into a moody teenager. It's like a mini-episode of I'm Alan Partridge.

Like the other audiobooks, the sheer density of it is incredible. Almost all of it is top-tier Partridge. In the pre-Gibbons brothers days, you'd get six episodes of Alan Partridge every five years or so, and now they've taken over it feels like you get hours of new stuff every year, all of it great.

12 hours ago, ZOK said:

I thought Nomad was seriously under par compared with the first book and MMM etc, I’m hoping this one is a return to form.

I felt the same way at first but on repeat reads/listens it really grew on me. Still not the best of Partridge but still great; The Beatles when it could have been Wings as Alan would say.

Just finished From the Oasthouse and it was OK, not going to be judging it too seriously until I've heard it a few times though. Partridge always gets better with repeat viewings/ listenings.

Disappointed that the

Spoiler

stalker storyline went nowhere. At first I thought it'd turn out to be Jed Maxwell, then after the bird advice I assumed it'd be Bill Oddie.

The time capsule for his grandkids one was pretty poignant I thought. I love how multifaceted the character has become spread across all these different media formats. It's insane how detailed Partridge lore has become.