The Alan Partridge Thread

Someone in the (tweet) comments said they would pay someone to create daily (mon-fri) highlights. I concur, would be a good Patreon service I think. Though I do wonder, in reality perhaps he is only Partridge-like 10% of the time? and these highlights we see are a collection over multiple days/weeks?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

With the greatest of respect for Steve Coogan whom I love and adore, it is clearly the case that Alan Partridge became less nuanced after the collaborative era of Armando Iannuchi and Peter Baynham. 

Oh, I disagree!

I love seeing Alan try to get woke, seeing him try to move on in the world but not quite catching up, hearing his obsession with the minutiae of brands and technology, hearing about his escapades with c-list celebrities and his constant aping of new TV formats.

All of this I see as more nuanced than before, character traits hinted at in the Iannuchi era but never fully explored. Not to say before wasn't brilliant, it was, but you'd never have got things like Swallow / Flint or the Edmonds rivalry before the Gibbons brothers got involved, and I think Partridge is better for it.

or working out with Ben Fogle and Dan Snow.

Seriously though the Gibbons have turned name checking grade-F celebrities into a it's very own comic form.

I also can't stop talking about the Gatwick Aiport/ Nick knowles stuff, partly also because I strongly agree with Alan about Gatwick.

• 2 months later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-52923245

Alan Partridge to return with podcast from Norwich shed

Steve Coogan will again take on the role of the Norwich-based DJ for an 18-part series titled From the Oasthouse: The Alan Partridge Podcast.

The podcast will unveil a "more reflective Alan" as he tries to attract a young and diverse audience.

"All national treasures have a podcast", Partridge said. "If David Dimbleby has one, then of course I needed to make one."
Image caption Steve Coogan brought his cult character back to the BBC in 2019 for mock TV magazine show This Time with Alan Partridge

"With this series, I want to give my fans an intimate view of who I really am," said Partridge.

"You may think you know me, but trust me, you have no idea what goes on behind closed doors at my podcast innovation studio."

The Bafta award-winning character, born in King's Lynn, Norfolk, made his debut appearance in 1991 as a sports presenter on BBC Radio 4's On the Hour.

He moved on to to television with programmes including The Day Today, Knowing Me Knowing You and I'm Alan Partridge.

Partridge had his big screen break in 2013 with the film Alpha Papa before in 2019 returning to TV with This Time with Alan Partridge.

The full series will be on Audible from 3 September while a free episode will be available on Amazon Alexa between 6 and 12 June.

First episode of the podcast: https://mega.nz/file/YSx2TAKI#3gh6Jw99xKYOx0Roq1X98bsRJbqyWflsZ7nyAAwuHYM

On Audible it says to say "Alexa, read From the Oasthouse on Audible". I've tried this over ten times now. All except once it started playing a sample of "the house guest". The time I did get it to work it said it wasn't available until September.

Enjoyed that a lot.

Although it doesn’t seem like much of a podcast if we get one free episode now and then the rest of them as paid content as a job lot in September. Unless I’ve misunderstood and those that have paid will receive episodes on a weekly, or whatever, basis this just seems like an audiobook rather than a podcast.

That's exactly what it is. And of course Alan wants promote it as a podcast because they're the in thing. 

Alan is gaslighting you. 

Adam Buxton must be a bit, hmmmm, at this. Are there a lot of padcasts of people rambling with their dog.... that seems to be his thing.

Oh, and the Alan sung jingles.

“He’s not in a good place, I hope he’s washing himself “ 

I enjoyed that a lot, I think it’s works even better sometimes without the visuals and you just have imagine him peering through cottage windows, mooing to cows or trying to drink orange squash from his thigh.

The teaser is on YouTube now if anyone’s missed it

• 1 month later...

https://www.comedy.co.uk/live/news/5886/new-alan-partridge-live-stage-tour/

Steve Coogan is planning to perform live as Alan Partridge, for the first time in a decade.

He last appeared live as the hapless broadcaster during his 2009 tour, Steve Coogan Live - As Alan Partridge And Other Less Successful Characters.

However, with From The Oasthouse: The Alan Partridge Podcast launching on Audible on 3rd September, Coogan has revealed that he's once again contemplating travelling the UK as Alan.

"It's been a while since I've done a live show" he told Danielle Perry on her Elevenses podcast. "It's 10 years. I miss it. I sort of do it every 10 years. So, I think in the next couple of years I'll take a big live Alan Partridge show on the road."

He also revealed that he keeps a surprising piece of memorabilia from his radio show Knowing Me, Knowing You... With Alan Partridge, telling Perry: "In my downstairs toilet I have a letter of complaint to the BBC made in 1992 about 'Why have you let this appalling man on Radio 4, it's a disgrace'."