rllmuk
Comrade

The Alan Partridge Thread

"And he choked on his own blood". This is amazing stuff, it does look like Madeley has picked up a few interviewing pointers from Partridge!

Someone in the (tweet) comments said they would pay someone to create daily (mon-fri) highlights. I concur, would be a good Patreon service I think. Though I do wonder, in reality perhaps he is only Partridge-like 10% of the time? and these highlights we see are a collection over multiple days/weeks?

With the greatest of respect for Steve Coogan whom I love and adore, it is clearly the case that Alan Partridge became less nuanced after the collaborative era of Armando Iannuchi and Peter Baynham. 

Oh, I disagree!

I love seeing Alan try to get woke, seeing him try to move on in the world but not quite catching up, hearing his obsession with the minutiae of brands and technology, hearing about his escapades with c-list celebrities and his constant aping of new TV formats.

All of this I see as more nuanced than before, character traits hinted at in the Iannuchi era but never fully explored. Not to say before wasn't brilliant, it was, but you'd never have got things like Swallow / Flint or the Edmonds rivalry before the Gibbons brothers got involved, and I think Partridge is better for it.

• Upvote 7

or working out with Ben Fogle and Dan Snow.

Seriously though the Gibbons have turned name checking grade-F celebrities into a it's very own comic form.

I also can't stop talking about the Gatwick Aiport/ Nick knowles stuff, partly also because I strongly agree with Alan about Gatwick.