rllmuk
Comrade

The Alan Partridge Thread

"Only £65."

"She must weigh more than that?"

I loved this whole series and I thought last nights was amazing. The highlight for me was Simon slowly getting more confident as the show went on but then telling the wrong joke (vomit gesture) or a joke at the wrong time (Boy George?).  

On the Empire podcast a few weeks back the Gibbons brothers said they were working on another project with Alan at the BBC so hopefully we get that soon. 

• Upvote 1

“And Kirsty owns it”
“Really? Well, thanks for bringing it in”

“No, I hate it, and I hate Star Wars, and I hate people who like Star Wars”

• Upvote 5

It was a decent finish to the series. Pips the first one for quality, but eps 2-5 were all top tier Partridge.

A wonderful show.

EDIT: ‘I’d have just called it Jumble with an exclamation mark’ is still cracking me up!

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

"Only £65."

"She must weigh more than that?"

It was a little more subtle than that:

’Just £65’

’She can’t be?

:D

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

On the Empire podcast a few weeks back the Gibbons brothers said they were working on another project with Alan at the BBC so hopefully we get that soon. 

It would be great if this next project were a companion series that showed Alan behind the scenes during the filming of This Time as I tend to prefer  Alan in his natural, totally unfettered, state to the more aware (but still failing) TV Alan. The show could be called 'Behind This Times'..

This series has been great though, so many tiny, tiny details that warrant repeated viewings.

• Upvote 2

Although I liked the outright Alan-is-dumb-as-shit bits there was often something a bit off-the-mark about them. Not so much the usual outrageous or distasteful behaviour, just the many examples of his simple, blatant incompetence. I thought this bit was really funny:

“I know what your game is - you’re trying to flannel and waffle to avoid answering difficult questions until we’re out of time. Well, newsflash! AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!”

*puts hand to earpiece*

“Wait, no, it has happened. Gentlemen, thank you very much.” “you sneaky so-and-so's”

Reminded me a lot of Peter O'Hanrahanrahan. There were quite a few bits that tried to recapture bits of The Day Today like that.

On the surface I found that very funny, but there was something not quite right with it. My problem was, they didn't do it as well as The Day Today did. The little knowing bit at the end kind of undermines it somewhat, for one thing. I know that and the AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN part were the added Alanness in the basic O'Hanrahanrahan recipe, but I think it would have been better had he been left bewildered and smarting by his defeat, not understanding how he'd failed (as opposed to O'H not understanding he'd failed at all). That would make better use of the Alan persona, but as it was you never got the feeling he was really in trouble, or even thought he was in trouble himself. He just ended up being quite jolly and, in this case, almost congratulatory toward the intended prey that had eluded him.

And this mirrors a lot of other similar situations that arose, which was one of my issues with the series. He needed to squirm a lot more, be in proper fear of failure. Be humiliated. Sink down in that fear and his burgeoning panic. He just seemed far too confident and genuinely jovial, both before, during and after most every fall. It made it all seem somehow inconsequential. Like it wasn't real, and so it didn't have any real bite to it. Nothing seemed to matter.

Basically, when doing as badly as he did with this, his biggest chance in decades, I wanted there to be real consequences to his onscreen disasters that made you squirm as you were forced to watch him confront them. Another Toblerone-fuelled breakdown at the end, not the inevitable yet oddly relaxed walk upstairs to see the DG on account of something happening offstage that's surely far less damaging than the total shitshow he'd got away with on live TV the past six weeks. Which itself seemed to result in nothing much at all.

• Upvote 4

I really liked the bits where he implicitly revealed how he remember's guest's names, then the inevitable getting it wrong. (Alice Clunt/Fluck/I see what I did there, and the other one which reminded me of when I thought Gisela Stuart was called Geezer Le Stewart).

Listening to the Alan Partridge Nomad audiobook on an insomnia night, I've only just realised after 30 years that I don't think we've ever actually heard Alan genuinely laugh. Even though it's his catchphrase (can of worms)

A comedy about an entertainer whose catchphrase is a laugh but has no sense of humour. That's about as British an in joke as you can get.  

• Upvote 1

I didn't love this series. Obviously it's Partridge, so it's never less than decent, but it just felt like episodes full of Apatow-style riffing and character improv that doesn't actually care if it's funny. It didn't feel tight and flawless like a lot of older Partridge.

Still, glad that people are genuinely loving this, and I'm looking forward to the new history doc series. I loved Scissored Isle.

• Upvote 2

Is it me or was the scene with a sleep walking Alan staring directly into the camera for absolutely ages the scariest thing on UK telly since Ghostwatch? 

• Upvote 2

Love this series. I was standing in the queue at a cafe yesterday and remembered the bit in the sleep experiment where he scratches his arse for about two hours, and just started laughing out loud. 

• Upvote 5

I liked it and it was funny, but I think the whole thing was lacking something to make it really great. That genre of programme is absolutely ripe for parody, but it wasn't really satire. It was too farcical to be satire. Instead it was just a loosely strung together jumble of things that would never make it onto TV. The absurdity and funny Alan/Simon being hopeless moments were at the expense of what could have been a nice roasting of Daily Mail TV.

Maybe it's unfair to criticise something for not being what I wanted it to be when I first realised the premise. But there was no story, no angle, nothing to really hold the whole thing together. Again, damn funny in places though!

I find when I'm out and about lately some bit from this series will pop into my head, usually something that didn't really sink in while I was actually watching, and it will just cause me to struggle to suppress the laughter. I was on the tube yesterday and it was the hairdresser conversation with Lynn: "volumised at the crown", "a cross between Margret Thatcher and a brown cloud". Like the best of Partridge, its hilarity just kind of creeps up on you. 

• Upvote 2

I think the volume of new material is too much to take in on a first pass. I actually find it quite tiring. It’s on repeated run-thoughts when you can start to break it down. A bit like new Hitman levels. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, teddymeow said:

I enjoyed it but the lack of Michael was a major letdown. 

It felt like they were trying to fill the Michael-sized gap with that nutter from Sunderland in the audience.

Anyway I really enjoyed it and looking forward to another watch. 

On 07/04/2019 at 21:56, mirodo said:

Alan Partridge to front an epic history of Britain

Alan Partridge's forthcoming series is a Simon Schama-style historical documentary of Britain, Chortle can reveal.

Production has begun on the BBC One show, provisionally titled And Did Those Feet, With Alan Partridge, with filming set to begin in May.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/04/05/42703/alan_partridge_to_front_a_sweeping_history_of_britain

I don't know, it sounds a bit too close to Cunk on Britain

There will definitely be some Cunk overlap (which is very good BTW). In all of Alan's documentary bits they've tried to use the 'tricks' of modern-day documentaries, much like Brooker / Cunk have done for a while now. But in fairness, a lot of it started with The Day Today, so they are sort of borrowing from each other.

I guess the advantage for Alan is that as a character he is so fun to play around with - you can see his influence (obsession with technical detail, centre-right-trying-to-be-woke opinions, love of 50-something minor celebrities, etc.) in the edit and dialogue. That's the stuff I enjoy so much.

This Time didn't give us enough off-camera Alan - I hope this has plenty of BTS stuff. Even a companion show about production - that would be amazing.

On 10/04/2019 at 08:41, gone fishin' said:

I don't know, it sounds a bit too close to Cunk on Britain

The article seems to have been pulled. It's now showing a 2005 about Frankie Howerd's OBE being raffled.

In totally unrelated news, this popped up on YouTube

• Upvote 1