rllmuk
Comrade

The Alan Partridge Thread

I’ve been in two minds about this series, but that most recent episode was wall to wall incredible. I almost started choking with laughter during the bit with the “CPR” doll, where he was lip-syncing to ‘Another one bites the dust’. 

• Upvote 3

It's just astonishing really, I'm kind of expecting him to get wound up into some kind of public sting operation for the failed Monty Don bribery coup/drink driving escapade, but as in real life, it seems he can just about do anything he wants too....

13 hours ago, robotattack said:

Never seen this before; it just popped up on YouTube. Classic Partridge.

I watched that a few weeks ago, after the first episode of This Time, and it was the first time I’d seen it since the original broadcast 20 years ago.

It’s astonishingly good, bridging IAP series 1 and 2 and the studio format clearly inspiring MMM. It’s also packed with great lines “Martin Landau with his then-wife”, “Kate’s… Bush…” , “It’s a bloody good job, so enjoy”.

"A cross between Margaret Thatcher's and a brown cloud." :lol:

Not quite as good as last week's (the first half was almost too excruciating to watch at times) but still fantastic. 

The bookcase bit was properly great - quintessential Partridge. Not the funniest bit, but it's just exactly what he'd do. After admiring the action of the doors he realised there was probably just about enough space in there for him to be shut up inside, so he couldn't not try it out. Turned out he was probably wrong...

The swearing section was great. Especially loved the scattershot bleeping out of the first half of "country" - note perfect again, that bit I think.

A few things miss the mark for me, but it's definitely up there.

• Upvote 4

This series may not be as gut-laugh funny as previous ones but there's a greater depth and subtlety. It's the only programme I've regularly tuned into for a long time. Essential Monday night viewing and I'll miss it.

Today's guardian column gets it spot in for me (great off-handed dig at Piers Morgan too).

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/mar/26/is-this-time-alan-partridges-last-aha

Weird editing at the end of the episode - Alan was sat next to Jennie on the couch, then she did a short introduction to camera, then Alan was wearing a different outfit standing amongst the singers in the space of 10 seconds.

12 minutes ago, AI1 said:

Weird editing at the end of the episode - Alan was sat next to Jennie on the couch, then she did a short introduction to camera, then Alan was wearing a different outfit standing amongst the singers in the space of 10 seconds.

Yeah, it was very odd. I wonder if there was a VT cut out of the middle of that or something.

5 hours ago, Professor Puzzles said:

They replaced the grumpy receptionist with a smiley one in the opening credits!

That’s amazing, such attention to detail.