rllmuk
Comrade

The Alan Partridge Thread

I love how insistent he is that you don't have to have watched the previous parts every time there's an ad break

• Upvote 1

I almost want to watch I'm Alan Partridge again but can't bring myself to because of the laugh track. Is there a version of it without the laugh track?

There is no laugh track Capwn.

He means the laugh track in "I'm Alan Partridge", not this... doesn't bother me that much but it'd be cool if there was a version without canned laughter.

It wasn't canned laughter in the first series was it? I thought they filmed it all in front of an audience. The set was sort of closed off but the audience were sat in the same studio watching it on screens

Armando Iannucci talks about this on the latest Richard Herring podcast where he confirms that it was not canned laughter, and was indeed filmed before a studio audience.

Christ, the new one was so funny.

A diet rich in Tracker bars and Olivio means that i'm able to lead a physically active life that is simply out of reach of many men of my age.

That bit where he nearly drowned was brilliant.

Caught this tonight on Sky 1, brilliant stuff, bit spooky knowing all the places he went to living in Norfolk as i does!

Yeah in the commentary Iannucci mentions that people wrongly think it's canned, it's all live and filmed when on set and the location stuff was played to an audience.

Yeah in the commentary Iannucci mentions that people wrongly think it's canned, it's all live and filmed when on set and the location stuff was played to an audience.

The fact that the hotel stuff in Series 1 is live makes it all the more amazing, the comic timing etc. Coogan pretty much IS Partridge, isn't he?

Exactly, and both Coogan and the Jordie are both corpsing massively in the "you missed a bit" scene, because of this:

A few years ago someone uploaded some audio recordings of the live audience performance for I'm Alan Partridge series 2 episode 2:

http://www.noisetosi...e-recording.php

I know it's "real" laughter, but listening to that makes it sound quite fake in a way. Almost as if the audience are just laughing because that's what they're sat there to do - even if they didn't get the joke or find it funny.

I'm pretty excited. The format of it scares me though. I'm not comfortable with Alan being in such a vulnerable position.

I saw coogan live about 3 or 4 years ago, to be honest, he was shit. Partridge, however, was amazing..... it's as if he had used all hs good ideas up and the rest was just filler....

Looking forward to this evening...

I saw coogan live about 3 or 4 years ago, to be honest, he was shit. Partridge, however, was amazing..... it's as if he had used all hs good ideas up and the rest was just filler....

One of the shows from that tour was on TV a while ago, and yes, that was my impression of it too - and Chortle's reviewers said the same. I thought Saxondale was a great TV series, but the character's bit in that live show was awful (and so were the segments with Pauline Calf and that wacky Timmy Mallet-ish character).

Coogan must have been well aware of that, since he called the tour "Alan Partridge and Other Less Successful Characters"!

I'm pretty excited. The format of it scares me though. I'm not comfortable with Alan being in such a vulnerable position.

That's when I love Alan the most, when he's pushed right to the limit and starts to lose it. I still have to check myself from letting out a full, belly laugh when I remember his losing it on the web-isodes when the banter between him and the smug guest gets a bit heated."Yeah.....yeah....that's BECAUSE YOU'RE A FUCKING DICK MATE!" (angry Alan face)

Thought it was poor tbh.

Best parts were the readings which are obv more than familiar if you had read the book.

The fella getting ejected tickled me, dunno

Bit meh

It might not have been up to the standard of the Norwich special last week but it was still consistently funny (no doubt helped by the fact I still haven't read the book yet).

That bit about his constipation and subsequent "relief" following his drinking two bottles of milk of magnesia :lol:

"Oh yeah. Christ yeah. Be careful what you wish for. I mean I passed out. Just thank god I was in a forest by a river. I burnt my clothes, waited until it was dark and then just ran home..."

Bizarre how there isn't even 1 clip of this on youtube yet, last week the entire episode was up within hours. Not seen it yet, really curious as it sounds like it has a celebrity audience? with James Cordon? Hope that really isn't the case? with audience people going "Ha ha ha look it's alan partridge! ha ha he is so great!! ha ha"

I watched this last night and would rank my entire evening as "pleasant," so there was no Corden seen on my telly.