Comrade

The Alan Partridge Thread

Looking around for more Partridge I see there is a movie on Amazon Prime. Is this worth watching? I assume I wouldn’t have had to have watched the 83 other series to get what’s going on?

On 27/02/2019 at 01:35, kerraig UK said:

I can't believe there wasn't more love for the toilet cubicle bit. I was in tears.

Paper paper paper! Turn!

The first time he walked over to the touchscreen and just got the intro verbiage timing that tiny bit wrong was fantastic. The second time with the hacker, they overdid it.

38 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Looking around for more Partridge I see there is a movie on Amazon Prime. Is this worth watching? I assume I wouldn’t have had to have watched the 83 other series to get what’s going on?

Watch The Day Today. Now.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

Short answer: Yes it is definitely worth watching. I think you would get more out of it if you spend some time with the characters first. 

Long answer: Watch The Day Today. Then watch Knowing Me Knowing You With Alan Partridge (Ah-ha!) and Knowing Me Knowing Yule. Then watch I’m Alan Partridge Series 1 (Ladyboys!). Then watch I’m Alan Partridge Series 2 (Dan!). Then watch Mid-Morning Matters series 1 (which I assume you can find online somewhere). 

Then watch the Movie. 

Then watch Mid-Morning Matters Series 2 (I forget if there were 2 or 3 series, someone else can correct me and point out exactly which ones are before or after the movie), read or listen to both books, watch the Sky specials, and episode 1 of This Time With Alan Partridge. 

You’ve got till Monday when episode 2 is on. 

You could have just linked to the wikipedia if you were just gonna list everything in order.

Just watch I'm Alan Partridge season 1. Skip Knowing me knowing you and The Day Today as one has aged badly and the other has very little Partridge (although its brilliant).

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

You could have just linked to the wikipedia if you were just gonna list everything in order.

Where’s the fun in that though?

I think seeing all of it really helps understand the journey Alan’s been through over the years and his bouncebackability to get on TV again. 

• Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, Cappuccino Kid said:

Aged badly?! Come on. Yes, it's a parody of a show format that doesn't really exist anymore, but even at the time the format was deliberately dated. KMKY is absolutely prime Partridge; it's just as funny as any of the other series and has a subtlety and attention to detail to it they've never quite recaptured since.

Last time I tried to watch it I found it pretty sub par. But comedy is subjective innit

Knowing Me Knowing Yule is 100% peak Partridge and also the beginning of his relationship with Tony Hayers. If you're planning on watching just one thing, watch that.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, FishyFish said:

KMKY is brilliant, and has David Schneider's incredible performance as Tony Le Mesmer.

And don't forget John Thompson as Joe Beesly and Cheeky Monkey, absolutely amazing.

• Upvote 4

Peak Partridge is IAP series 1 and 2 which are equally brilliant. They both have an absolute ludicrous laughs per minute ratio. I don't think any other series has ever come close.

• Upvote 8

11 minutes ago, cubik said:

And don't forget John Thompson as Joe Beesly and Cheeky Monkey, absolutely amazing.

The Tim Key segment on This Time really reminded me of this. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Peak Partridge is IAP series 1 and 2 which are equally brilliant. They both have an absolute ludicrous laughs per minute ratio. I don't think any other series has ever come close.

I'd put KMKY above IAP series 2. Series 1 is pretty much perfect though.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Timmo said:

Silly game to play, but i'd say Black Adder seasons 2,3,4 are the pinnacle of British Comedy for quality and quantity of laughs.

Then IAP 1&2

Then it's a biiiiiig gap.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

I honestly think Mid Morning Matters is as good as he's been. Both series are for me where the character's in his sweet spot. And Tim Key is just ace throughout. 

I agree. Love MMM. But it works because we know Alan. For someone getting to know Alan, IAP at least wraps it in a sitcom.

21 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Silly game to play, but i'd say Black Adder seasons 2,3,4 are the pinnacle of British Comedy for quality and quantity of laughs.

Then IAP 1&2

Then it's a biiiiiig gap.

I'd broadly agree, but you'd have to kick Blackadder 4 out of there for me - it's significantly less funny than 2 or 3 (IMO), and it relies on that whole "it's as cunning as a cunning thing being particularly cunning" device that got old very quickly (I actually prefer the original series to 4 - it's not as funny, but I'd rather watch it again).

I'd throw in the first couple of series of Black Books as a personal favourite. They're up there for me. Then there's Father Ted.

• Upvote 2

Blackadder 4 had Speckled Jim, which gives it a top ten slot in the comedy hall of fame.

Can't disagree on Father Ted though, 100% quality throughout its brief but entire run.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MarkN said:

I'd broadly agree, but you'd have to kick Blackadder 4 out of there for me - it's significantly less funny than 2 or 3 (IMO), and it relies on that whole "it's as cunning as a cunning thing being particularly cunning" device that got old very quickly (I actually prefer the original series to 4 - it's not as funny, but I'd rather watch it again).

I'd throw in the first couple of series of Black Books as a personal favourite. They're up there for me. Then there's Father Ted.

UK Comedy thread time?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

UK Comedy thread time?

Looks like it, we're derailing this thread. As long as it contains a post on the merits of Holiday on the Buses.

• Upvote 1

On 27/02/2019 at 08:05, Nicky said:

personally my favourite Alan, is his offscreen one from IAP. and to echo some of the comments earlier in this thread, i'd have loved him to be in a more directorial role trying to create something he doesnt understand.desperate phone calls, unneeded and over the top pep talks,  taking over camera man jobs like he was flying a fighter jet, earpiece in, and move and fire and move and fire,

Yes! A lot of comedy characters from the '90s have fans who seem to understand them better than their creators do nowadays; at least in terms of what they enjoy the most. I wish The Royle Family didn't spring to mind because of Caroline, but Dave's regression was near-universally criticised. I couldn't have written anything close to the quality of IAP and The Royle Family's first series', so I don't think it's down to arrogance.

The new writers sound like cheerleaders, which is understandable, but it's not what this programme needs. Sometimes creators don't want to go back to the well, despite retaining the ability to please their fans with more of the same (League of Gentlemen kept it to a few episodes), and I get that, but it's always a risk to move away from your templates when new characters are available. Partridge doesn't have to remain in stasis, I just think that The One Show's really lazy material (already Morrisian), and most of all, it's inauthentic to his Madeley-Titchmarsh career. Keep It Country's Alan's turf! Some characters don't need to be reimagined for relevancy, especially not when inelasticity comprises their comedy heart, and Coogan's career is now wide enough to no longer fear any one-hit-wonder flak.

Coogan mentioned Brydon's new Barry Gibb before The Trip to Spain, and how funny he found it. So of course I was really looking forward to it, but by the time it finally appeared it'd slipped my mind, and then — perking up as soon as I realised we were in business — it was an unfunny snippet that just petered out. Brydon's voice was fine, but the material as generic as you could imagine. And that was it. Loads more not-Brand Jagger, but no more Barry.

Even now I'm disappointed that Coogan didn't do a Clive Anderson, even a bad one, conducting some of their faux arguments as Barry and Clive. It felt like one of the biggest open goals with nothing at the back of its net. Like Rock Profile, but better. But no. (Not overcooking it — just a couple of scenes.)

[edit]

Coogan: “Rob does a good Barry Gibb which made me laugh a lot between takes so I said to him that he should do that on camera.”

• Downvote 1

There's a good interview with the Gibbons brothers on the Empire podcast this week. They mention they're filming another series of something with Alan at the BBC in May. 

1 hour ago, meatbin said:

What was that? 

His production company in I’m Alan Partridge is called Pear Tree Productions. He’s called Alan Partridge. Partridge, pear tree. I mean, there’s nothing more to it than that, I just never saw it before. 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 3

4 hours ago, Popo said:

His production company in I’m Alan Partridge is called Pear Tree Productions. He’s called Alan Partridge. Partridge, pear tree. I mean, there’s nothing more to it than that, I just never saw it before. 

Awesome how a joke can take 20 years to land