British Sea Power

Stanley

So, the album has been delayed until next year but they've got this extended single out as per topic title the title track of which can be downloaded for free from their website.

They're also on tour all over the place both on their own and supporting Manic Street Preachers.

On first listen Zeus is more of the same, quite poppy shouty. More like their early stuff but not quite as raw. I like it.

I quite liked that. I was expecting to hear Yan break into the opening lines from Apologies to Insect Life at the start of the track. It definitely sounds like they are moving away from the more AOR vibes of Do You Like Rock Music? and towards the debut again. I'll be interested to hear what the new record sounds like. Hopefully there will be one or two absolutely stonking tracks on there because when BSP get it right they really do know how to make a great tune.

I still dont think they have made a classic album yet, but if you had to make a 10 track 'best of' from their back catalogue, it would be fucking brilliant.

It's got a bit of a Motown vibe to it, and it took some time to reveal its melody - in a subtle BSP kind of way. I've only just noticed that the opening line is "Rick Stein I was pleased to meet you and I didn't mean to be rude, I just never realised you were famous for your food" :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Maxi-E.P is out now and with 8 tracks and a running time over 40 minutes it feels more like a mini-L.P

Highlights so far for me are Cleaning Out The Rooms and Bear, the latter which is just beautiful.

It's a more evolved sound than Do You Like Rock Music and at times it's pretty unhinged. There are some very, very Krautish moments particularly Can We Do It? and Mongk - which has that wonderful motorik drumming all the way through it and some mad sounds and chanting.

Much better overall than the standalone version of Zeus (a longer version of which is included)

p.s. KW-h sounds like Daft Punk jamming with Gary Glitter. It's kind of strange.

I quite liked that. I was expecting to hear Yan break into the opening lines from Apologies to Insect Life at the start of the track. It definitely sounds like they are moving away from the more AOR vibes of Do You Like Rock Music? and towards the debut again. I'll be interested to hear what the new record sounds like. Hopefully there will be one or two absolutely stonking tracks on there because when BSP get it right they really do know how to make a great tune.

I still dont think they have made a classic album yet, but if you had to make a 10 track 'best of' from their back catalogue, it would be fucking brilliant.

I think the first album is pretty close to perfect, really. Shame they've gradually 'dadded' as time's gone on. Hopefully the new album will have more bite.

I think the main problem with Do You Like Rock Music is the production. There's some proper caustic punk rock on that record but it's all lost in the mix. It's in need of a Raw Power style remix.

Luckily the the new stuff is, well, louder.

Yeah they're awesome live and if anyone hasn't heard them then here's a link to a rather excellent recording someone on their forum has uploaded :)

http://www.headphonesoff.com/bspforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9583 (forum)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KL279FEH (file)

The new e.p. is excellent - it's BSP discovering electronica, although that sounds awful and much better in reality than I've put it. Don't be put off by Zeus which despite being alright is what has now become BSP by numbers. The rest is much more interesting.

But KWh - what the fuck.

• 2 months later...

You can listen to the entire album over at the Guardian website.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/jan/05/british-sea-power-valhalla-dancehall-exclusive

Bloody good it is too. Will they finally achieve widespread recognition or will they just be a small but special secret to those of us who know them ?

Great :D

Loved the first album, hoping this new one is more like that than the last 2 albums have been.

Now then. This is awesome. Literally awesome. Odin himself would approve. They've finally done it. They gone and made the album they were always capable of but fell ever so slightly short. It kicks off with Who's In Control and lasts an hour of which there is barely any fault. Some of those tracks are big buggers too but they just shimmer and nudge, and hug you. We Are Sound is just so subtle but that chorus sticks in your head.

Is it too early to be calling album of the year?

• 4 weeks later...

We Are Sound is lovely. I only wish the ending lasted another 5 minutes.

Looks like your wish may have been granted:

http://britishseapower.co.uk/blog/321/alternative-versions-and-demos-cd

Alternative Versions and Demos CD

26 January 2011by British Sea Power (3)

We’ve just finished compiling a 9-track Alternative Versions & Demos CD.

With thanks to Rough Trade, it will be our 2nd release on Golden Chariot records. This limited release will be on sale at our forthcoming shows and in the BSP shop post tour.

Tracklist

1. We Are Sound (Extended Alt. Version)

2. Living Is So Easy (Extended Early Graham Sutton Mix)

3. Mongk (Demo)

4. Fathers Words (Early Bear Demo)

5. Luna (Extended Version)

6. Thin Black Sail (Instrumental Demo)

7. Stunde Null (Demo)

8. Cleaning Out The Rooms (Original Instrumental Piano Demo)

9. Once More Now (Graham Sutton Mix)

More than just a curio, these versions offer plenty.

We Are Sound features it’s original 7/4 time intro and extended bridge. Fathers Words (Early Bear Demo) features rude lyrics taken directly from the mouth of Yan & Hamiltons father, Ronald. Cleaning Out The Rooms (Original Instrumental Piano Demo) was recorded as it was written, on a piano in a cottage in Prussia Cove, Cornwall, the hiss of the wind and waves in the background. Thin Black Sail (Instrumental) is all krautrock groove, and Mongk (Demo) features Hamiltons unique drumming style and frazzled noise.

For those who didn’t manage to get a copy of the Valhalla VIP CD, ‘Luna’ (Extended Version) has been made available on this Alternative Versions & Demos CD too.

5398095026_09c0d3d58e.jpg

Really like the new album, why is the name annoying? IDGI.

Went to see them in Notts last week, and I hate to say it but the 'other fella' on vocals isn't strong at all, the gig dipped when he took the lead. Has been the same when I've seen them previously too.

Still, was a good show, they've got a strong line up now with the new album tracks they can fill a decent set.

Saw them in Liverpool last night and they were awesome. Here's the setlist :-

Who's in control.

Remember Me.

Something Wicked.

Stunde Null.

Apologies to Insect Life.

Luna.

Lights Out For Darker Skies.

Land Beyond.

Once More Now.

No Lucifer

Oily Stage.

Thin Black Sail.

Fear of Drowning.

We Are Sound.

Living Is So Easy.

Waving Flags.

Great Skua.

Carrion.

All In It.

Piss stop (encore break)

Mongk II.

Larssen B.

Kwh.

Spirit of St Louis

Highlights for me were The Great Skua and St Loius but it was brilliant the whole way through. No Luicifer and Waving Flags seemed to get the biggest applause.

What I wanna know is who were the Japanese band that supported them? They were the coolest band I think I've ever seen in my life. They went from 0-60 in a split second and EVERYONE in the audience was completely slack jawed.

edit. They are called Bo Ningen.

Just seen them at Kentish Town. Bloody great, I feel slightly drained. In a good way. The support band were good even though we just watched from afar (and they're Japanese? I missed that!).

Setlist, from memory so completely out of correct order

Who's In Control / We Are Sound / Remember Me / Luna / Stunde Null / Apologies to Insect Life / Lights Out For Darker Skies / Blackout / The Land Beyond / Once More Now / Thin Black Sail / Fear of Drowning / No Lucifer / One I don't know (Zeus?) / Oh Larsen B / Waving Flags / Living Is So Easy / It Ended On An Oily Stage / The Great Skua / Carrion->All In It

Encore: Mongk II / Spirit Of St. Louis

Pretty much everything I was hoping they'd play, bar Please Stand Up / North Hanging Rock and Atom. Sound was OK from right hand front of stage, and band seemed in pretty good spirits. Enjoyed it a lot.