Frames Per Second, AA, Tearing etc...

It's smoother, you can see the stutter in the 24FPS as the time between frames is longer and so you're seeing few frames of the characters moving between point a and point b.

I understand what I should be seeing, but it's all moving so fast that I can't see it. Maybe I'm just getting old.

I'm definitely getting old.

Found a bunch of videos on youtube the other day about this, the initial part with the spheres got the reasoning across to me best, the example TF2 footage at the end didn't seem too bad to my eyes.

Oh and personally tearing probably gets me the most, I can live with low frame rates as long as they're consistent but when dips or whatever start to make the game feel unresponsive that's when it'll get annoying.

I have downloaded the video in the description to get the full 60fps action. I can see a big difference in the swinging balls but when it came to the in-game action with 24fps and 60fps side by side, I'm ashamed to say I could not tell the difference. Even continually re-watching the same few seconds at the two different frame rates, I just couldn't discern a difference. I feel rubbish now. :(

Thanks for posting that. While I could see the difference with the swinging ball, the two TF2 examples looked identical to me. Maybe if I played them both I'd really notice it, but watching the vid? No difference whatsoever. :unsure:

Ha! I posted before seeing your post. Glad it's not just me.

Lol, dude. Just install D3Doverrider, which comes bundled with rivatuner, and lock it to 60. Works for every single game ever made. On XP, Vista and 7.

If only I had access to google maybe I would have already tried that. Oh wait I do and it doesn't work in many cases and even causes crashes.

I have downloaded the video in the description to get the full 60fps action. I can see a big difference in the swinging balls but when it came to the in-game action with 24fps and 60fps side by side, I'm ashamed to say I could not tell the difference. Even continually re-watching the same few seconds at the two different frame rates, I just couldn't discern a difference. I feel rubbish now. :(

Feel very lucky to have such rubbish eyes.

Shouldn't that be rubbish brain? the eyes are just receptors sending data to be processed by the part of your brain which deals with that particular sense I thought?

People vary in their physical reaction times, maybe those with very slow reaction times can put up with lowered update rates more than people whose reaction times are quicker.

If only I had access to google maybe I would have already tried that. Oh wait I do and it doesn't work in many cases and even causes crashes.

You may have it configured wrongly? What games are you having problems with? I've had it running for about five years, played over 100 games on Steam with it, never had it not work and never had it cause a crash, using both ATI and Nvidia cards, including a 2 card setup. I have it set to play a little 'ding' whenever it kicks in :) It's saved my skin in games such as Dead Space, which bizarrely locks to either 30fps or completely uncapped (ie 400fps!) and games like The Witcher and Crysis, where the VSYNC options doesn't work properly in Vista/7.

Yes, tearing is by far the worst. Now I may be wrong, but isn't this a problem that never existed in the pre-HD console era? Stuttering/bad framerates are something we've seen for ages (Perfect Dark for example, GTA3 in places), but tearing seems to be a relatively new phenomenon.

Some Xbox games had screen tearing. Never saw it on the PS2 though.

As long as it isn't game-breaking, I don't care. If something like WipEout or SFIII 3rd had jerky slowdown at random intervals then you'd have a nightmare trying to react naturally to threats. However, in most games a little bit of tearing or slowdown rarely disrupts gameplay, so I don't mind.

Shouldn't that be rubbish brain? the eyes are just receptors sending data to be processed by the part of your brain which deals with that particular sense I thought?

People vary in their physical reaction times, maybe those with very slow reaction times can put up with lowered update rates more than people whose reaction times are quicker.

The thing is, I can't see the difference, and yet my martial arts teacher says I'm "a natural" at dodging punches, so my reaction times can't be that slow (and, for example, I trounce my friends at most action games when I play them). :unsure:

The AA is a funny one though. Some PS3 games don't have any AA and have that, for me, 'trademark Playstation' look as it was something that was also prevalent on the PS2. On other games there's no AA and you think 'Jesus, what a jaggy mess'.

I suppose it depends on resolution or art direction or something, but in games like Mafia 2 or Bioshock 2 it can be jarring while other games actually look crisper because of it.

You may have it configured wrongly? What games are you having problems with? I've had it running for about five years, played over 100 games on Steam with it, never had it not work and never had it cause a crash, using both ATI and Nvidia cards, including a 2 card setup. I have it set to play a little 'ding' whenever it kicks in :) It's saved my skin in games such as Dead Space, which bizarrely locks to either 30fps or completely uncapped (ie 400fps!) and games like The Witcher and Crysis, where the VSYNC options doesn't work properly in Vista/7.

Right now it's not working at all with Amnesia and I'm not alone with that. It used to conflict with Age of Conan, it would crash the client whenever you quit, screwing up settings and not ending the server session, launching the bug report tool.

In general v-sync seems to be a massive no no in any fast competetive multiplayer PC game, people just seem to prefer put up with the tearing and run at as many hundreds of frames as they can.

The least important? There's a pretty big difference in image quality for virtually no performance hit, so this is why I always favour this over the total bollocks that is AA.

That's what I said, it's the least important of the three (ie you can do without it) but you never need to because it doesn't hit performance. Whereas AA is more important really, but usually kicks the shit out of your framerate and thus is left off.

In general v-sync seems to be a massive no no in any fast competetive multiplayer PC game, people just seem to prefer put up with the tearing and run at as many hundreds of frames as they can.

Eh? That's not true, it doesn't even make sense. Why would rendering more frames than your monitor can keep up with, thus doing nothing but causing tearing, be advantageous?

Right now it's not working at all with Amnesia and I'm not alone with that. It used to conflict with Age of Conan, it would crash the client whenever you quit, screwing up settings and not ending the server session, launching the bug report tool.

What about adding the amnesia executable to the list of programs. It picks up the usage of any Direct3D though, so unless you're playing Quake 2 in software mode it should pick it up. I just tested it, works fine. The built in vsync in Amnesia works anyway though, I just turned off d3doverrider and the in game vsync still did the job. There must be something going on.

Also, AOC used to crash on me every time I quit, I never figured out what it was but it wasn't d3doverrider - probably just the fact that it was programmed terribly.

Definitely. You can't see the difference with the distant texturing, particularly on the road?

I honestly didn't notice until you mentioned it. I was comparing the characters and the distance trees, not the featureless middle ground. I chalk that one up to a poor choice of screenshot.