rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Davros sock drawer

An Idiot Abroad

Yeah, was also worried especially after seeing pilkington's solo interview on this morning. I still don't think he should be doing solo interviews. In this however his 'fakeness' is less exposed and it just works within the context of the show. Full of great lines, loved it.

• Upvote 1

It was brilliant. His child-like manner throughout and the way he spoke to the crew at the toad bit was priceless.

"Why didn't you tell her? You must have known I didn't want toad!"

• Upvote 1

Looking forward to downloading this. Amazing that Pilky01 is still going and, for me, still hilarious all these years on.

• Upvote 1

This whole Karl Pilkington thing has passed me by a bit. I know who he is in the context of Gervais and Merchat and have heard some of the radio shows they have put on the TV. However recently I have seen a few articles questioning whether he is a staged character or it is all natural (I presume as natural as you can be in ceratin circumstances)

Am i properly ignorant and it is a well known fact he is a character or is this just sour grapes by people over his relative sucess? It interests me in a cynical and bitter manner.

Got the series on series link but not seen it yet, everyone who has mentioned it to me said it was good and better than they expected.

I presume as natural as you can be in ceratin circumstances

That's my take on him too. I Imagine he talks an awful lot of shite but it gets edited down to some golden one-liners. He just looks so earnest.

It was good. He's genuine but sometimes maybe plays up to his own character for laughs. Which is really what everyone does day to day at work and stuff.

After 6 years it must be impossible not to play up to it and I'm sure there must be a certain amount of 'Wait a minute, do that same thing again, but I think Karl Pilkington would have said x, y, and z'

So by all accounts this is the best thing Sky1 have ever made?

That's quite an accomplishment if it's the case. Just think of all the truly great and original programmes Sky 1 have made, such as

Excellent stuff. I almost gave this a miss, because of that tedious cock Gervais in the Sky 1 previews,(or "Sky 1 HD!" as he kept fucking saying).

I won't hear a word against Gervais, I think he's a genius.

I do think Karl has played up to his "character" quite a lot over the years, and he clearly knows the impact of some of his more succinct one-liners, but at his core his persona is 100% genuine.

• Upvote 2

Really enjoyed this apart from Gervais and his fake laughter at every opportunity - at least he was kept to a bare minimum.

• Upvote 3

I've never understood the Gervais hate. One thing I especially love is his crazy laugh and how often he likes to have a laugh. Some of the radio shows and podcasts have made me laugh so hard I nearly burst, and part of the reason is because Ricky was laughing so hard he nearly burst.

Also, if you think his recent Hollywood films have been mediocre, at least watch the blooper reels. He's honestly like that. He winds up everyone just like he winds up Karl. Watch out especially for Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman's reaction to him in the special features for The Invention Of Lying. They're politely bemused by his cackling, practical jokes and sheer unprofessionalism on set. Gervais keeps winding up Jason Bateman about being in Teen Wolf Too :lol:

• Upvote 6