Xbox LIVE Update Preview Program

Roboplegic Wrongcock

Xbox LIVE Update Preview Program

I am happy to announce that we’re doing an Xbox 360 System Update Preview program for our next release, and the opportunity to sign up is now available. The Preview Program will give you the chance to check out ESPN on Xbox LIVE, Zune music, Netflix search, the new Xbox LIVE dashboard, and new updates to Zune video and Family Settings on your Xbox 360*. Much like we did last year, you’ll need to visit the Microsoft Connect site from this link and sign in with your Windows LIVE ID that is connected to your Xbox LIVE Gamertag. Once you complete the survey that is presented to you, the Connect site will notify you immediately if you’ve been accepted. A couple of points before you head off to register:

We’re looking for multiple thousands of participants, so your chances of making it in are good.

This is not for Kinect. You will not be receiving a Kinect sensor if you are chosen to participate.

This opportunity is open to all Xbox LIVE Members in regions where Xbox LIVE is available.

To avoid any problems, read the survey carefully and double check all the information your provide.

While both Xbox LIVE Gold and Silver members can sign up, Priority will be given to Gold members in the selection process.

I’ll be sure to updated this post if the program fills up.

Good luck!

A word of warning for those who use party chat

Do you understand that Party Chat will not work with people outside of the Preview Program?*

Seeing as we don't get ESPN or Netflix, unless you're the sort that gets giddy at the thought of getting to play with parental controls then I don't really see much worth signing up for there.

They have actually changed the look of the dashboard a bit. It looks a lot faster in the video but whether it'll run that fast for someone who has 100gb of stuff on his hard drive and is connected to the internet is another story obviously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2a6KBGc0Uo&feature=player_embedded

Heh, I remember that the last few update preview programs were very interesting to partake in, since they had exciting new features like installing games to the hdd and party chat, or even nxe itself. Not only does this preview program have absolutely nothing of interest, it actually removes party chat for as long as the program lasts :lol:

That's not true, is it? I thought it said that you can still party chat with other people in the program.

Yeah but if the people I regularly chat with aren't in the program then I'll effectively lose that feature for the duration of the program. And since we always use party chat for games like Street Fighter and Halo, that would be really shit :lol:

Heh, I remember that the last few update preview programs were very interesting to partake in, since they had exciting new features like installing games to the hdd and party chat, or even nxe itself. Not only does this preview program have absolutely nothing of interest, it actually removes party chat for as long as the program lasts :lol:

It's true, I have zero interest in this update, there's nothing interesting for anyone outside of the US. It's a shame because there's so much MS could do with the 360 but probably won't.

# majornelson

If you did sign up and were accepted, you may want to turn on your #Xbox later today ;) about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck

If you did not sign up for the #Xbox Preview Program last week, we are no longer accepting sign-ups sorry! about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck

Looking for more information about the #XboxLIVE Preview Program? Read this letter from @notwen http://mjr.mn

Since I won't be able to use ESPN or Netflix and have no plans to buy Kinect, the only thing that will really impact me (apart from improved party chat hopefully) are the new aesthetics. On that front it feels like a step backwards (not that the NXE was a masterclass of design to begin with). On the current system you can see about 6 menus deep into each topic, with the new one you can only see three, feels like a case of trying for form over functionality. The colours also don't feel like they compliment each other very well either (as noted in the Giant Bomb video the loading bar now appears to be back to front).

Sorry for the incredibly nitpicky UI post.