IGNORED

GOG.com

Halo

Hmm, I never finished XWA.

iirc I got about as far as either a level with a fuckload of those black-sun (?) heavy fighters, or a side mission with a countless swarm of those dead nippy experimental ties.

I think that game might have had a higher shipcount than anything else I've played, actually.

Is Galactic Battlegrounds Saga the one that was essentially Age of Empires reskinned into Star Wars?

If so, that was a pretty great game, not so much for the campaign which was fairly average, but the level editor, which lets you set up massive pitched battles between the Empire and Alliance, with just about every vehicle from the films available as a unit, as well as unique character units like Darth Vader and Luke. I had hours and hours of fun with it.

And Star Wars Rebellion - probably not one of the better 4X space games out there, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit back then

It was amazing until it collapsed in on itself every game due to being rather unbalanced, but it is a game that seemingly incredibly few people played. I spent hours on it.

Yep, I quite liked Rebellion back in the day. That and Battlegrounds are on my 'to buy' list; tempted by Rogue Squadron too. Wouldn't mind having the first three Dark Forces games either, if they stick JK on. Need Pod Racer too. And is Rebel Assault on here yet?

Oh God, why do I want all of the Star Wars games?

I'd love Dark Forces, I have a vivid memory of playing that whilst listening to England losing the semi-final of Euro 96 on the radio. But whilst it was proper Star Wars back then, I'm really not sure how well that'll play today. Never played Jedi Knight but Jedi Knight 2 was superb and I reckon that probably still plays really well.

It was amazing until it collapsed in on itself every game due to being rather unbalanced, but it is a game that seemingly incredibly few people played. I spent hours on it.

I spent a fair few hours on it too, but never actually finished a game. I still have the original disc for it lying around, too.

Jedi Knight was the game I bought my first 3d gfx card for (difference between that and software mode was so staggering I couldn't believe it). I can still remember most of the absolutely enormous levels inside out because I played through it so many times. No doubt my favourite Star Wars game.

Guess I'll also pick up Republic Commando as I never played that.

• 1 month later...

Rise of the Triad (2013 version) being given away free just now - but not for long...

*checks GoG*

Looks like I missed it.

I see they have an FPS sale on, AvP 2000 for £1.99, people should but this. It has controller support which works surprisingly well but killing the aliens as the marine can be a bit spray and pray.

Some more Lucasarts releases:

Outlaws + Handful of Missions - digital distribution premiere

Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders - digital distribution premiere

Indiana Jones® and the Emperor's Tomb™ - digital distribution premiere

Monkey Island™ 2 Special Edition: LeChuck’s Revenge™ - 20% off

The Dig® - 20% off

LOOM™ - 20% off

• 1 month later...

Feel like I should also post this in the GOG thread:

Anyway, I got invited to the GOG Galaxy alpha. What is GOG Galaxy? Why, it's nothing less than GOG's answer to Steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyYW9AOWh-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyYW9AOWh-8

I just tried and it's really nice imho. Think Steam, but you know, DRM-free. You can use it offline all you want, you can even choose not to use it. But if you choose to you can use it as a client to browse the store and buy directly from it, use it as a gateway to play multiplayer, and of course browse you own library of games.

What is so nice about it, is that you have all your games in one place *and* you can choose to let the client auto-update all your games. GOG is great for older games, but the big drawback (imo) was always that you had to faff about manually with patches and whatnot. This feature doesn't yet function in the alpha, but the option is there, greyed out. You can already browse the store and download and manage your games from it, and first impression is that it's smooth. Sorta Steam, but GOG.

For those wondering why you'd ever need anything more than Steam: GOG is way better for older games, with an actual guarantee that every thing works on your modern machine or your money back. So Steam for new stuff and GOG for classics is the best PC-gaming combo imho. And I love that this combo is going to get even better.

Correction: the GOG Galaxy client does do auto-updates, you just can't turn them off yet. I downloaded Broken Sword as a test and it almost maxed out my connection, which is good. Also good: it shows your playtime of each game. Once you click on a game in your Library, you go to a more detailed overview with the latest news about that game/franchise, your latest activity (playtime, but maybe also achievements in the future? It looks they could easily be listed there) and drop-down menu to download any bonus content for that game, manage/repair the installation folder and to view the manual.

I took some screen to illustrate my words:

attachicon.gifgalaxy lib.jpg

attachicon.gifgog galaxy lib.jpg

attachicon.gifgalaxy store.jpg

Downsized a bit from 1080p.

Yeah got one last night - looks nice - pointed it at my install of Witcher 2 and it added it to the list. Will have a better play with it tonight but seems like it should evolve into a nice addition to Steam, hopefully it'll get a good workout in the next few days when the preload of Witcher 3 starts :)

Any word on when it launches officially? It sounds a bit dumb but my one regret with my gog preorder of TW3 is that it's a bit of a fiddle to download it all. I'd love a Steam-like client for gog.