rllmuk
Chosty

Bohemian Rhapsody - Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury

On 17/02/2019 at 02:40, JPickford said:

I've seen this now.  I think I have.  I just don't know it was the same film everyone else saw.

I found it massively entertaining.  Really funny.  It's like a long episode of "Star Stories".

How anyone can take this as a serious drama I just don't know.  It's a cartoon script with cartoon performances.

Yeah, this is my take on it as well. It's really entertaining throughout, has some great performances, it's funny, poignant... Just a great film. One of the best I've seen in a while.

Was very entertaining and had some great scenes when it came to the music, but it felt very lightweight but I’m not sure if that’s because I’ve heard all the stories before and in a lot more gritty detail from other documentaries.

But maybe that was the point, to celebrate the music he left us and how that happened.

Was the farm studio location the same one used in Children of Men? I was sure I recognised it from that.

4 minutes ago, Zero9X said:

I don't think he deserved the oscar for this. Came across like a poor caricature.

Much as I enjoyed the musical montages (even tho I don’t like Queen, go figure), I agree having watched interviews with Freddie since the off stage persona was totally wrong 

22 minutes ago, linkster said:

Much as I enjoyed the musical montages (even tho I don’t like Queen, go figure), I agree having watched interviews with Freddie since the off stage persona was totally wrong 

you don't think there's a chance that even the interviews are a sort of performance, and that informs your opinion of "the off stage persona was totally wrong"?

Plus people who spent nearly 2 decades of their lives with him probably had a hand in Ramis portrayal and gave him an idea of how Freddie was behind the scenes and off camera.

I don't know who else was up for the Oscar but there couldn't have been much competition.  Malek was good but it's basically a cartoon version of Mercury.  The Academy just seem to like giving the best actor awards to Brits.

2 hours ago, Harsin said:

They also had a hand in overseeing the script and that bears about as much resemblance to reality as Speed Racer.

Ha, this is true. Who knows.

I thought he was good, but others short listed were better.

16 minutes ago, linkster said:

I still don't know why Stan & Ollie wasn't on the short list for actor, given how much they love mimicry

They couldn't figure out who was Actor and who was Supporting Actor.

i wish this was a joke.

4 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I don't know who else was up for the Oscar but there couldn't have been much competition.  Malek was good but it's basically a cartoon version of Mercury.  The Academy just seem to like giving the best actor awards to Brits.

Malek is American with Egyptian parents and not a Brit. 

Well deserved award IMO, as I thought he absolutely nailed the role.

• Upvote 2

Thought it was interesting that Makek talked about Freddie Mercury being unapologetic about how he lived when the film has such a tut-tutting tone about his lifestyle.

Saw this earlier. I'm a massive Queen fan, so I was really looking forward to it.

I can forgive the historical inaccuracies for dramatical purposes, but fucking hell it's a right mess for the majority. Such a corny, cheap script, awkward direction and too cliche ridden.

Malek's performance was terrific and the last 25 minutes or so were spectacular but it's impossible not to feel hugely disappointed.

At least the download I had included the full Live Aid set as a bonus feature.

• Upvote 2

On 08/03/2019 at 13:41, Boothjan said:

Saw this earlier. I'm a massive Queen fan, so I was really looking forward to it.

I can forgive the historical inaccuracies for dramatical purposes, but fucking hell it's a right mess for the majority. Such a corny, cheap script, awkward direction and too cliche ridden.

Malek's performance was terrific and the last 25 minutes or so were spectacular but it's impossible not to feel hugely disappointed.

At least the download I had included the full Live Aid set as a bonus feature.

Just finished watching this thanks to a 99p GooglePlay rental offer.

I agree with all of the above.

It just felt really throwaway and pointless.

Also couldn't help laughing at 'Rev' being their replacement manager. 

4 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Just finished watching this thanks to a 99p GooglePlay rental offer.

I agree with all of the above.

It just felt really throwaway and pointless.

Also couldn't help laughing at 'Rev' being their replacement manager. 

Why?

2 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

I honestly don't know. I just found it amusing. 

I’ve never seen Rev. Tom Hollander is an awesome actor tho - The Night Manager, Hanna, Ambassadors are superb 

For those who complained the movie wasn't gay enough ...

Oscar-winning Freddie Mercury biopic Bohemian Rhapsody was released in China on Friday, but references to the Queen singer's sexuality and AIDS diagnosis were censored.

Several minutes of footage were edited out of the film, including scenes of two men kissing and the word "gay".

There has been significant reaction to the film's release online. More than 50,000 users have posted reviews on Sina Weibo, China's Twitter-like micro-blogging platform.

Though some users complained of "half watching and half guessing" as a result of the deleted scenes, others were pleased the film had been released at all.

What was removed?

In the Chinese version of the film, several scenes have been amended or deleted.

Explicit and implicit references to Mercury's sexuality were edited out, including an important scene in which he comes out to his then-girlfriend.

Other scenes to be removed include a close-up of Mercury's crotch as he performs, interactions with his male partner Jim Hutton and the entire sequence in which the character and his onscreen band-mates recreate Queen's iconic music video for 1984 single I Want to Break Free, in which they dress in women's clothes.

Although overall I thought the film was good, it was the music that made it but it is also what spoiled it.

Hearing Freddy's voice and seeing Malik mime over the top just didn't work for me, every time it just pulled me out of it.  It would have been ok if it was just snippets but they did nearly whole songs.  I would have rather seen the old footage or not had nearly as many or as much performance.  

Also the story just felt too soft, too hollywood, there was no edge.  For example there was one tiny reference to drug taking, and that was it.

Was it a PG?

46 minutes ago, linkster said:

It wasnt Freddy’s voice, it was an impersonator

Well, i'll be damned.  Still, would have rather seen old footage.