Chosty

Bohemian Rhapsody - Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury

I watched this last night being dragged there by a mate .

I thought it would be terrible and I'd be bored but I absolutely loved it if see it again tomorrow 

• Upvote 1

On 24/10/2018 at 17:37, gone fishin' said:

He says in this clip how a member of the band said, "it's such a great movie because it's got this great thing that happens in the middle of the movie. Freddie dies. Second half of the movie we see how the band goes on from strength to strength".... 

It sounds like they managed to stop that, but in the meantime really tamed down the story. I guess "Queen + Whoever they think can replace Freddie Mercury" would sell less tickets in America if they knew about the coke fuelled gay orgies.

No offense to Baron-Cohen but that sounds like total horseshit. Any time you ever read of May and Taylor they seem totally respectful of Mercury.

I do wonder if the critics have been twats again. They got a hint that it wasn't going to be "edgy", and so have all gone in with an agenda. 

I haven't seen this, but might tomorrow, it appears to be a true celebration of one of the greatest bands, and arguably the greatest lead singer in history. But according to all the critics it's shit because it doesn't show Freddie Mercury having bumming orgies and dealing with HIV. Who the fuck wants to see that? 

• Upvote 1

The trailer made this film look like a generic by the numbers puff piece of a biopic. Either the critics are right, or the trailer did the film a massive disservice. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

But according to all the critics it's shit because it doesn't show Freddie Mercury having bumming orgies and dealing with HIV. Who the fuck wants to see that? 

His life was his life. Sorry if it wasn't palatable for your personal tastes. He's not a Christmas card.

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Me, because that's what happened and I want stories to be told as they were and not just puff pieces. I want to go through that emotion of that time in his life and come out from seeing it an emotional wreck. I want to feel more connected to one of my favourite singers because I was too young to understand it at the time it really happened and this would be the closest thing I could get to it. I've seen all the good stuff before, hit me with something hard and real.

FUCKING THIS!

He loved coke and anal and orgies and excess. Its right there in his music. This is a film of the life of the lead singer of Queen. And they have clearly sugarcoated the least sugarcoated motherfucker ever. 

Now, it is true that he was very careful about his public perception because of the times, but I don't think the music is the thing to celebrate. I think the vivaciousness of this unrepentant beautiful energy is what a film should be about. 

I want to see the bumming, and the orgies and the drugs and the relentless carefree love, sex, intelligence, passion and wonder of an Asian man who was allowed to drown in his own desires and excesses, and leave behind in his cum filled wake an orgiastic celebration of music, party and freedom. 

I also fucking hate that we are denied that by prissies like Thor who want to turn this human being into their own vision of that person. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I also fucking hate that we are denied that by prissies like Thor who want to turn this human being into their own vision of that person. 

Did you edit that last paragraph in? I swear it wasn't there last night. Dude, you have serious issues. 

8 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

FUCKING THIS!

He loved coke and anal and orgies and excess. Its right there in his music. This is a film of the life of the lead singer of Queen. And they have clearly sugarcoated the least sugarcoated motherfucker ever. 

Now, it is true that he was very careful about his public perception because of the times, but I don't think the music is the thing to celebrate. I think the vivaciousness of this unrepentant beautiful energy is what a film should be about. 

I want to see the bumming, and the orgies and the drugs and the relentless carefree love, sex, intelligence, passion and wonder of an Asian man who was allowed to drown in his own desires and excesses, and leave behind in his cum filled wake an orgiastic celebration of music, party and freedom. 

The thing is, you get most of that anyway from that two part Freddie Mercury interview and doc they always show on BBC4, so the film is a bit superfluous in that regard.

I’ll no doubt see it, but I can’t help but think Rami Malek looks more like he would be suited to a biopic of Swiss Tony. I presume the producers only booked him when they found Gary Mullen from Stars in their Eyes wasn’t available.

ip_921607.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&zoom=

• Upvote 3

I have to chime in that I agree with the guys that want a story about Freddie mercury and all the craziness that swirled around him, I'm not interested in the rest of the band, give me Freddie and all his excessive proclivities. 

36 minutes ago, Thor said:

Did you edit that last paragraph in? I swear it wasn't there last night. Dude, you have serious issues. 

I think what he said is fair enough. Should we ignore drug/alcohol abuse or cancer from people's stories or is it just homosexuality and HIV you find unpalatable?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Thor said:

The last paragraph is only there in your mind. It's a kind of magic.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Delargey said:

I think what he said is fair enough. Should we ignore drug/alcohol abuse or cancer from people's stories or is it just homosexuality and HIV you find unpalatable?

I hear you’re a Nazi now, Thor.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, wtf. That escalated quickly. This is some serious alternate universe shit. 

I'll admit, I shouldn't have said, "Who the fuck wants to see that?" Clearly there's scope to cover more facets of Mercury's life, and people want to see that. 

@Stigweard, @kerraig UK have you seen the film? 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, wtf. That escalated quickly. This is some serious alternate universe shit. 

I'll admit, I shouldn't have said, "Who the fuck wants to see that?" Clearly there's scope to cover more facets of Mercury's life, and people want to see that. 

No I haven't. I've got too much respect for the man.

35 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, your phrasing was pretty lame. Also a bumming orgy montage to "don't stop me now" would be amazing and this film has clearly missed a trick.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

No I haven't. I've got too much respect for the man.

:lol: 

Edit: Sorry, Kerraig, that was harsh.

Everyone should see this, it actually veers a fair bit closer to what you guys are asking for than the critics say, and Malek and indeed the whole cast are outstanding. 

It could be argued that Mercury's depiction in this film is how the man would prefer to be remembered. 

It's terrific, go see it. 

That's what I was getting at. His final statement before death says it all. 

Following the enormous conjecture in the press over the last two weeks, I wish to confirm that I have been tested HIV positive and have AIDS.

I felt it correct to keep this information private to date to protect the privacy of those around me. However, the time has come now for my friends and fans around the world to know the truth and I hope that everyone will join with me, my doctors and all those worldwide in the fight against this terrible disease.

My privacy has always been very special to me and I am famous for my lack of interviews. Please understand this policy will continue.

Those wanting the sordid details of his private life are actually being incredibly disrespectful of Freddie Mercury's wishes. 

Furthermore, it's my understanding Freddie Mercury never shied away from who he was, he just never wanted to be pigeonholed or held up as a poster-boy for gay rights. He was who was, and that was that. 

This film does the same, it doesn't shy away from his sexuality, the drugs, or the excess, those elememts are there. They're just not the focus. This film is a terrific celebration of Queen. 

• Upvote 7

14 hours ago, Timmo said:

I don't know why people like Rami Malek so much, he's second only to Shia LaBeouf for punchably-faced smug actors in my opinion.

He was good in Until Dawn. Quite bland though. 

• Upvote 1