Chosty

Bohemian Rhapsody - Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury

I'm still susprised that so many have gone bananas over the changes to what really happened. Cinderella Man, another wonderful "biopic", takes just as many liberties (if not more) with the truth, yet that film did not get pilloried for it. Or at least, I only ever recall praise for the movie. 

That said, having watched the film again, I have to agree with this:

20 hours ago, Harsin said:

There's also a nasty whiff of Mary Whitehorse style judgmental morality around Mercury's sexuality and lifestyle, staging going to gay clubs like a descent into hell. 

Spot on, no escaping that. And it's unfair. Also, the film has the heterosexual "girlfriend" coming to rescue him from the "nasty gay man". I mean, come on. 

But I still love the movie overall, and can forgive the liberties it takes. 

• Upvote 1

I'm struggling to find much detail about the poor accuracy in Cinderella man - can you direct me to s source?

What do you love about the movie and do you feel telling the story accurately would have changed your opinion?

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm still susprised that so many have gone bananas over the changes to what really happened. Cinderella Man, another wonderful "biopic", takes just as many liberties (if not more) with the truth, yet that film did not get pilloried for it. Or at least, I only ever recall praise for the movie. 

That said, having watched the film again, I have to agree with this:

Spot on, no escaping that. And it's unfair. Also, the film has the heterosexual "girlfriend" coming to rescue him from the "nasty gay man". I mean, come on. 

But I still love the movie overall, and can forgive the liberties it takes. 

I think people give this a harder time when it comes to changes because there was such a good story there in the first place that it didn’t need changes. They’ve no doubt made a very enjoyable film, but it could have been a great one. But that was never going to happen with May and Taylor in control. No biopic stands a chance when some of the subjects are present and calling the shots.

• Upvote 1

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:01, Gord said:

I'm struggling to find much detail about the poor accuracy in Cinderella man - can you direct me to s source?

What do you love about the movie and do you feel telling the story accurately would have changed your opinion?

My opinion of Cinderella Man?  No, but I guess we'll never know. Also, the details for that movie's differences are in the extras on the disc. 

Paddy Considine's character - a major role in the movie - is complete fiction, he was made up for dramatic effect. Mae Braddock in the movie is almost nothing like the real-life Mae Braddock other than not watching the fights and the famous line "every time he gets hit, feels like I'm getting hit too" - in the film she is wildly disapproving of Jim's boxing, especially his big title fight with Baer. The truth is the opposite, while she couldn't watch his fights, she loved him being a boxer, and was a constant source of encouragement for Jim throughout his career.

Then there's Joe Gould, who in the movie had to sell all his belongings to fund Braddock's comeback. Not true, though he did loan Jim some money to stop his electricity being cut off. And as for Max Baer, the filmmakers sheepishly admitted Baer got a raw deal in the film. Baer wasn''t anywhere near the obnoxious cunt he's made out to be in the movie, especially the jibe to Mae about potentially being a widow after the fight, but every movie needs a villain...

It was worth the price of admission alone, just to see the Live Aid gig from an entirely different perspective.  By that time, Malek had taken me along far enough with him for me to totally go with it for that last 20 minutes.  Magic stuff under less magic stuff. 

I've seen this now.  I think I have.  I just don't know it was the same film everyone else saw.

I found it massively entertaining.  Really funny.  It's like a long episode of "Star Stories".

How anyone can take this as a serious drama I just don't know.  It's a cartoon script with cartoon performances.

• Upvote 7

On 17/02/2019 at 02:40, JPickford said:

I've seen this now.  I think I have.  I just don't know it was the same film everyone else saw.

I found it massively entertaining.  Really funny.  It's like a long episode of "Star Stories".

How anyone can take this as a serious drama I just don't know.  It's a cartoon script with cartoon performances.

Yeah, this is my take on it as well. It's really entertaining throughout, has some great performances, it's funny, poignant... Just a great film. One of the best I've seen in a while.

Was very entertaining and had some great scenes when it came to the music, but it felt very lightweight but I’m not sure if that’s because I’ve heard all the stories before and in a lot more gritty detail from other documentaries.

But maybe that was the point, to celebrate the music he left us and how that happened.

Was the farm studio location the same one used in Children of Men? I was sure I recognised it from that.