rllmuk
Chosty

Bohemian Rhapsody - Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury

Well, that's an interesing one. I think it's a great choice.

The Borat star will play Freddie Mercury in a film about the singer's glory days as the frontman of Queen, the band's guitarist Brian May confirmed today.

"We have Sacha Baron Cohen, which will probably be a shock to a lot of people, but he's been talking with us for a long time," May told the BBC's Hardtalk show.

The untitled film is being written by Peter Morgan, the British screenwriter behind The Queen, Frost/Nixon and The Last King of Scotland, producers said.

The film will focus on the years leading up to what was arguably Queen's greatest moment: its performance at the Live Aid charity concert at London's Wembley stadium in 1985 .

The producer Graham King said shooting would begin next year. His GK Films is working on the project with Tribeca Productions, founded by Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal, and the Queen manager Jim Beach. No director is attached yet.

The project had the co-operation of Mercury's estate and the three surviving members of Queen, a spokeswoman for GK Films said. May and Queen drummer Roger Taylor will oversee the musical content of the film, which will feature both original Queen music and Mercury solo music.

Source.

Who will play the other members of Queen? Anita Dobson's the obvious choice for Brian May.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

saw this on the eveningstandard (thisislondon) site.

thought they'd been hacked. Too "obvious" really, isn't it.

Better to go with an unknown.

Like they usually do with Superman.

he's perfect. facially very similar, and if he can do comedy should be able to pull off drama.

not sure i like the idea of the rest of queen being all over the film though. they are humorless bunch of c%^ts imo and the project would be better a million miles away from them.

• Downvote 2

not sure i like the idea of the rest of queen being all over the film though. they are humorless bunch of c%^ts imo and the project would be better a million miles away from them.

That's a complete misconception. I don't think it's possible to have been connected with, let alone in Queen for thirty odd years without having a wicked sense of humour. The whole idea of the band is that they don't take themselves seriously. It's what's sets them apart from the unspeakable bores in Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones, particularly in their twilight years.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I don't think it's a shock choice at all. Other than being too tall I think he's pretty suitable for the role.

Come on, this is a guy that's starred in 3 comedy films written and created by himself. A serious biography about a dead rockstar is about as big a departure from that you can get...

That's a complete misconception. I don't think it's possible to have been connected with, let alone in Queen for thirty odd years without having a wicked sense of humour. The whole idea of the band is that they don't take themselves seriously. It's what's sets them apart from the unspeakable bores in Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones, particularly in their twilight years.

ive met two of them (roger and brian) professionally, and they seemed to take themselves unbelievably seriously.

i came away thinking freddy must have been the only one with a sense of humour.

Some people get really boring when they get old.

ive met two of them (roger and brian) professionally, and they seemed to take themselves unbelievably seriously.

i came away thinking freddy must have been the only one with a sense of humour.

I think that's the clue.

so, anyway...

http://brianmay.com/queen/queennews/queennewsmay14b.html#35

As well as The Queen Extravaganza, he is involved in a film biopic of Mercury, who was an early casualty of the Aids epidemic and died in 1991 at 45.

Sacha Baron Cohen (from Ali G and Borat) was initially cast in the lead but has since left the project. There were rumours that Daniel Radcliffe was up for the part and most recently director Dexter Fletcher has quietly departed.

"This one does seem to be taking an awfully long time to come together," says Taylor, who is musical director alongside May. But he is very satisfied with the casting of Ben Whishaw as Mercury.

"He's an absolutely fantastic actor," he says. "We want someone playing Freddie who is credible and will do him justice. We were very keen on Sacha Baron Cohen at one point and then we weren't so keen at another point. We didn't want to make a comedy. We take Freddie's legacy very seriously and I'm not sure he would have done."

He won't say whether an actor has yet been cast to play himself. "I try to keep at arm's length because you can't really make a film that you're portrayed in and be closely involved. I think for Brian and me, our main job once all the ducks are in line is to make sure the music is great," he says.

But he can confirm that Radcliffe was never in the running. "That was complete fiction, much as I like him," Taylor agrees. "It came from someone's fertile imagination."

What I find frustrating is that they presume Sacha would have turned it into a comedy romp. I follow the guy quite well and I just know he'd have been careful with his portrayal, I am certain he would really have wanted to surprise people with a really serious role, he's teased that desire before.

What I find frustrating is that they presume Sacha would have turned it into a comedy romp. I follow the guy quite well and I just know he'd have been careful with his portrayal, I am certain he would really have wanted to surprise people with a really serious role, he's teased that desire before.

Sacha got kicked off because he wanted to didn't want to do the clean/family friendly portrayal that May wants.

the biggest problem with this project creatively is having the original band involved. it can't hope to fulfil its potential - those guys are too scared of messing with the legacy of what they created.

i want to see Sacha's comedic take on it.

I read a rumour that Taylor and May want to focus on the most successful Queen era- Queen + Paul Rogers.

Brian May said "It's what Freddy would have wanted. Freddy always felt that he kept back the true potential of Queen. This movie will show how when the truly talented members of Queen joined forces with the ex lead singer of Bad Company, nothing - not even Freddy at Live Aid- came close."

If you want to watch a really well acted, well directed and honest rock biopic, watch Sex & Drugs & Rock n' Roll with Andy Serkis playing Ian Dury. I'm a big Dury fan so probably biased but that's how you do a warts and all biopic.

Mercury, in interviews was narcissistic, selfish and utlimately, the debauchery caught up with him - the album they recorded in Germany when Freddie was popping out to sex clubs was shit.

Sad thing is, the Queen estate/Mercury estate wouldn't want to 'tarnish' anything. The band had a bass player who wore white tennis shorts on stage FFS and Freddie was the band.

Wankers.

Or perhaps he's not back... from Brian May's website -

There’s a report of the evening here... ...but it doesn't mention a small joke that Jim threw in during his acceptance speech. He said that, in response to enquiries about the progress on the Freddie feature film, that Sacha Baron Cohen had been re-engaged to write, produce, and direct the film, as well as starring in all four major roles ! I’m afraid some folks might have taken it seriously !

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssbmar15.html#39

• Upvote 1