IGNORED

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

I have clocked the DLC. Atorias has gone to the great abyss beyond. That fucking demon thing in the caves went down first go (aided by a friendly Dog who is quite literally going to regret that). It took me about 10 goes to kill that hateful Dragon but now he’s dead, too (sadly didn’t manage to chop off his tail).

All the bosses in the main story have been murdered, bar one. The last one. I am going to go and see him shortly and introduce him to the grave(lord sword).

2 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Decent effort tbf

I’ve managed to do most bosses first or second time, I’m on a knight build and a walking tank right now.

The bosses I had most issues with were at the start! Atorias, Nito, gaping demon.

The most issues I had were with Ornstein and Smough, Sif and that demon with the two cleavers who butchers you as soon as you walk into his tiny area.

9 minutes ago, Popo said:

You battered Manus in one go? Christ, massive respect!

Yep! I did summon Sif, though I’m not sure how much help he was, Manus didn’t seem to notice him much.

I should note that I was level 90 or so, with a Gravelord sword, Atorias great shield and went through a few estus flasks.

I shall be continuing my new part time job of stressing myself out in the Dark Souls 3 thread. I’ve already started!

1) the jump to 60fps from 30 is very apparent.

2) it’s not just the frame rate though, right? The movement is a lot quicker. Started with a knight build again and he’s a comparative ninja compared to the clunky guy I had in 1.

4 hours ago, Strafe said:

I shall be continuing my new part time job of stressing myself out in the Dark Souls 3 thread. I’ve already started!

1) the jump to 60fps from 30 is very apparent.

2) it’s not just the frame rate though, right? The movement is a lot quicker. Started with a knight build again and he’s a comparative ninja compared to the clunky guy I had in 1.

Have you played DS2 already? Or did you decide to skip it?

I’m playing through for the first time and have recently started the second, but very tempted to skip it and go straight to 3 given the recent FPS boost. 

4 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

Have you played DS2 already? Or did you decide to skip it?

I’m playing through for the first time and have recently started the second, but very tempted to skip it and go straight to 3 given the recent FPS boost. 

Have skipped the second one….for now.

• 4 weeks later...

You should all watch Zullie the Witch's videos, about weird Dark Souls details and hacks and mods and things.

New Londo without all the atmospheric lighting:

Turns out those invisible crystals are a lot more spacious than we thought:

How the rescaling for O&S's second phase is achieved:

And finally: those skellingtons are so cute! ^_^

50 minutes ago, Popo said:

How the hell is shrinking the entire game world and Smogh’s model down an easier effect to achieve than embiggening just Ornstein?

Maybe in this engine it's easier to rescale a static environment, than an animated character with connected lightning/particle effects?

Of course they managed to rescale the player character down by the same amount as the arena to preserve the illusion. So maybe it's easier to rescale player characters than NPCs?

• 2 weeks later...

This is what Tomb of the Giants looks like without any shadows:

Also, Illusorywall did a new video, which begins with an explanation of how the game achieved the effect of Gwyndolin's corridor stretching off into the distance, both in-game and in the cutscene:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was watching a Dark Souls lets play on Youtube recently, which led to this fascinating speedrunning video to pop up in my Recommended. Its really well edited to explain the story of uncovering a crazy skip, without needing knowledge of Souls speedrunning. Definitely worth a watch, and mad how the community still finds ways to optimise these old games!

8 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Reanimated corpses of those tortured and killed by ‘the wheel’ (based on actual irl historical form of torture / execution ‘the breaking wheel.’)

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.jpeg.bf05fc9e595d674034fd5af78860c7ee.jpeg

image.jpeg.0f29058d53012a8f1a6b2338fc613441.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.84b54f5e3e5de6fc695bfa56da88cad9.jpeg

image.jpeg.960265146b3e671d168fd3f98e607794.jpeg

image.jpeg.70622c6ab24966fe4a2879dfe8c5efc0.jpeg

image.png.da36872a1624abbf7c8621acede683f6.png

image.jpeg.3347246e669cec102e9b94faa6b4fa5c.jpeg

Hypo-nasty bizness 😱

Thanks mate. Yeah, I knew about the breaking wheel but was curious about how skeletons turned wheels into vehicles. I'm not familiar with Manga, maybe I should read this Berserk you mention. Manga/anime etc is something I know nothing about. 

I specifically watched / read Berserk because of the many things it has informed / inspired in the Soulsborne games. I think a lot of people end up checking it out coming from those games. It’s really great, yet pretty flipping hardcore. The recommendation needs to come with a bit of a content warning owing to some instances of some very disturbing sexual violence throughout.

Some of the modern anime is supposedly rubbish and not worth watching. It’s the 1997 (I think it’s 97?) anime series that I started with and really liked. I think it’s about 25 x 25 minute episodes and it covers one of the great arcs from the manga. I can recommend starting with that if the idea of a 40+ volume manga seems too daunting.

The quality of animation in the 97 series is pretty limited if I’m being honest, but there’s still some pretty great shot composition, background art and a total belter soundtrack. The manga is next level again, and whereas the 97 animation is limited, the standard of artwork in the books is utterly amazing. The violence is far more graphic in there, it must be said.

There was also a semi-recent (2012-ish?) trilogy of feature length anime films, The Golden Age Arc trilogy, which covers the same arc as the 97 series, which is pretty decent.

Its the 2016 and beyond anime series that are not worth watching. So I’ve read, I’ve never bothered with them as a consequence.

So, 25 episode 1997 anime strongly recommended, despite some limited 90s animation and dub (obviously try and source the subbed version), but with a banging soundtrack.

2012 Golden Age Arc movie trilogy is decent, and covers the same excellent story and characters as the 97 series, in a more truncated, perhaps digestible format. Better quality of animation, the same composer as the series, but not quite as banging a soundtrack (it’s more standard bombastically cinematic fantasy fare, compared to the weirdo ambient Japanese bagpipe synth what-even-is-this vibe of the 97 soundtrack).

And then there’s the 40+ volume manga which is just utterly stunning and way more in-depth and obviously covers more than just the Golden Age Arc, as covered in the 1997 and 2012 animated media. 

I think I actually did them in that order myself, working up to the manga undertaking. Other people might recommend a different approach, but it worked for me. 

Anything animated from 2016 onward is to be avoided.

1 hour ago, Sane said:

I'm tempted to just read the manga then. I will just start and see how it goes, if it grabs me it shouldn't take too long to read it. Thanks for the advice!

Great shout. You should be aware that the manga covers the fantastic, utterly essential Golden Age Arc from volume 3 - 14. Just in case you read the first couple of volumes and wonder what the fuss is about. Not that the earlier couple of volumes are in anyway bad, it’s just that the Golden Age Arc is iconic. It’s told in flashback and gives meaning to what came before and will come after. So definitely persevere until you make some progress through the aforementioned volumes. It goes particularly, well, berserk towards the end of the arc, so I implore you to give it a go right up til then if you can 👍🏻