Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

Haven't been able to play all week. Back to the Depths for me this weekend!

I thought that a few minutes after typing the last message. Blind it should be, blind it will be!

Nice one. Keep the stories coming.

-----------------------------

I was listening to Bonfireside Chat last night and heard something about the Duke's Archives that I had never noticed*. (Not playing enough, obviously) Anyone that isn't listening to BFSC should be (Cheers Timmo).

*The whispering in the entrance hallway. :ph34r:

I keep meaning to check that out. I've heard a few episodes of Watch Out For Fireballs, their regular podcast, and it's great. The two of them work really well together. Have they ever said anything about doing a Demon's Souls one?

I've done enough of the game now to be able to access the DLC (or what I assume is the DLC, it didn't exactly say!). I love the way it throws you knee deep into a boss fight straight away. Made my way past him/her at the 2nd attempt to the next immediate bonfire and looking forward to cracking on. Reminds me a bit of Fable this area so far!

It'll either be a silly question or not a silly question, but is he grounded?

It took me a while to get used to not locking onto everything, but everyone in the history of ever is right when they say it is better for some situations once you get used to it.

Yep, I've met Gough (who is a cool fucking dude)

He's the first boss in a while that hasn't succumbed relatively easily to my stamina regen/Power Within/+15 Uchigatana combination. I think I'll try dropping a weight class for the faster roll, see if I can't dodge everything.

Has the expansion ever been on sale on PSN? I just tried the PC version (which I got super cheap with the expansion) and it's just horrible, so I'd rather replay on my PS3 but I wanna' see the new guff.

Horrible? It's the best version. Were you using DSFix?

Yep, I've met Gough (who is a cool fucking dude)

He's the first boss in a while that hasn't succumbed relatively easily to my stamina regen/Power Within/+15 Uchigatana combination. I think I'll try dropping a weight class for the faster roll, see if I can't dodge everything.

I'm still rubbish at Kalameet. On my current run, I spent a good amount of time absorbing his timings and tells just by virtue of trying again and again.

I'm much more confident about taking him down in one when next we (Kala)meet.

-----------------------------------------

Speaking of my current run, he's a diligent greedy powerhouse. My son wants to see the Asylum Demon one shotted, so my current (relevant) stats are:

Strength 42

Dexterity 40

Intelligence 44

Pyro Glove A+3 for Power Within.

I've obviously got Crystal Magic Weapon and I'll go and pick up the Red Tearstone.

I reckon I'll apply all this to my Greataxe+15 (Biggest single hit that I can work out) and two hand it.

I think he'll go down in one. What do you think?

Souls are xp, bang on, they are also used to buy equipment and to fund upgrades along with materials, such at various types of Titanite.

If you have souls in the meter at the bottom right when you die, they will remain in the bloodstain left at the place of your death. If you reach and touch the bloodstain before dying again, you get the souls back.

Humanity is for becoming un-hollow, which you need to be if you want to kindle the bonfires* or summon help from NPCs or other human players.

It also counts toward luck regarding drop rates when held in the meter at the top left.

*Kindling increases the amount of uses bestowed on your Estus flask each time you sit at a bonfire. At first Bonfires can be kindled so that your Estus has 10 uses. Later that will increase.

Start by levelling

Str to 16 - This will allow you to wield a bunch of basic weapons, including the worst kept secret in gaming history.

Dex to 12 - This will allow you to use a Short Bow. Useful for pulling single enemies from groups and for obtaining the worst kept secret in gaming history.

Then you want to concentrate on getting your Endurance up to 40 and your Vitality up to 20+. Endurance is widely regarded as the most vital stat in the game, as it dictates your Stamina (The green bar which allows you to perform most actions in the game, such as attacking and blocking) and your Equip Load which is how much armour and weapon weight can be equipped.

Keep Equip Load below 25% for fastest movement. Below 50% to be able to use roll effectively.

Vitality is how much HP (life) you've got.

Resistance is utterly useless as it exclusively raises resistance stats that are raised anyway by other attributes.

Attunement dictates the ammount of slots you have for the various types of Scorcery, Miracles and Pyromancy.

Intelligence dictates the strengths of Scorceries, which are cast using Catalysts.

Faith dictates the strengths of Miracles, which are cast using Talismans.

:) It's cool man.

Thanks for all this (I've no idea what you mean by the worst kept secret. :D)

Miracles are spell attacks then? I've just done a Convenant (whatever that is). Am I right in thinking I'm meant to be heading up the cliffs to an Aquaduct atm? Other paths just massacre me

Ta. I still die horribly a lot...but I suppose that's the point of the game :P

What are these "enter the white light" bits (traverse?). They look like walls of white smoke?

hexx, trust me you will die a fair bit in the beginning but when you start to level up a bit it gets a little easier and where you are heading you will see a lot of through the game, at least i have so far. im not too far ahead of you, you will love what is coming!

:wub:

Yey! I made it to my first post starting bonfire!

Is Parrying/Counter-Attacking a bit rubbish atm...it seems easier at this point to just BEAT THEIR FACES IN rather than trying to do the reposte...(guessing that won't be the case later on!)

Yey! I made it to my first post starting bonfire!

Is Parrying/Counter-Attacking a bit rubbish atm...it seems easier at this point to just BEAT THEIR FACES IN rather than trying to do the reposte...(guessing that won't be the case later on!)

The mechanics behind parry/riposte and counter attacks stay constant throughout the game. They just take practice and experience (not XP). You need to have a combination of reflexes and knowledge of attack timings. There are shields that lengthen the riposte window but I think they're useless as the riposte is easy. I guess what I'm saying is, if you want to parry a lot, now is as good a time as any.

Parrying and counter attacks can be very useful if you can pull them off reliably, but they are not at all integral to beating the game.

Gaming's worst kept secret is (minor spoiler about a acquiring a fairly powerful early weapon)

The Drake Sword

You obtain this by removing the big red dragon's (drake's?) tail. This can be done fairly with a melee weapon, up close and personal, or you can just use a bow and arrows and take your time shooting the tail from underneath his bridge. It takes around 20-30 shots with the cheap wood arrows.

Anor Londo Knights say hello, if you can learn to parry them they become a cake walk.

Though I've never been able to time the parry for the lance/spear carrying fuckers.

I'm currently still in the library with Seath, he's going to die! in fact thats my weekend mission :-)