rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Sarge

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

I am a bit stuck in Darkroot, in two places. The first is against the wolf. I managed to make a bit of damage, but then….. Another TWO wolves rolled into play >_< That must be practically impossible to fight all three of them at once. I thought he was a boss!

So glad I picked up my little green cloud of humiliation and ran away from that fight like a girl while it was still just the one. At one point, he had my entire head and torso in his mouth.

Just how badly am I crippling myself if I mostly stick with my starting hunter gear (upgraded as much as possible)? What is the best upgrade path for the Shortsword? Should I abandon the whole plan?

I already swapped into anti-poison clothing while stranded in Blight Town, and I swapped in the Drake Sword while struggling against some certain nasty dudes, but I felt pretty wrong both times. I feel like I'm facing a real personal dilemma here - do I allow the world to force me to adapt, or do I stay faithful to my sense of self and risk failure?

This game is a work of art for so many reasons, but "life is hard and it will eventually kill you", imprinted on your skull by a thousand undead boots, is probably up there with the greatest of its achievements. I can't think of many other games that communicate that so unequivocally to the player, or indeed communicate anything so clearly.

Trust me, you'll change your set-up many times before you see the end. Your starting equipment, and even the early-on, (overpowered) Drake Sword will only get you so far.

I'm on NG++, and i'm not using the same stuff i was on NG+ - you have to evolve and experiment, hopefully finding the right tool for the task at hand. But know this; like Demon's Souls, there really isn't one weapon to rule them all (at least not that i've found yet).

I've stopped using the Drake sword on any new characters I make, it's way too overpowered at the level you can get it, then when it finally starts becoming a bit crap you get another amazingly overpowered weapon (Lightning Spear), no way that's not intentional but it's a bit too cheap for me. Time to make a magician named Paul Daniels :hat:

I'm pretty sure I got robbed out of the Lightning Spear due to a sort of weird glitch but my Lightning Zweihander makes up for it.

I did manage to get my hands on a copy of the official guide today though after hunting around a couple of Game stores and HMV. Finally found it in Gamestation, it being their only copy, but I've no intention of taking it out of its shrinkwrap until I've finished the game. However, my hunt for a reasonably priced Demon's Souls Black Phantom Edition continues...

Possible negs on the way, but after 150 hours, i can say for sure i prefer Demon's Souls over this. There's nothing wrong with it per se, it's just i can't think of a single thing that bothers me about the original, whereas this has loads of bits that seem like a chore (first time cuntish, second/third time tiresome).

There, i said it! <_<

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm at a bit of an impasse. Any thoughts on where I should go now?

I've done the butterfly, the hydra, the gargoyles, the Depths and the firelink skellies. Valley of the Drakes results in death at the first blue guy, the bit of Darkroot up the ladder is either wolfcats or death by walking tree mob, and New Londo and the Catacombs both look a bit scary. Is there anywhere else I can go at this stage? What's my best move?

I dont think i prefer one over the other really. There a few things id change about Dark souls, and i wish there was more of the kind of world lore that demons has, but theres not much in it in terms of which i prefer. Id maybe, possibly put demons a shade above dark for the fact that it was the original, oh and also, it doesnt have the fog ring <_<

Trying to ween myself off the drake sword too, so made myself a flame zweihander+3...so badass..

That is a very good point - the NPC's, which were vital in semi-explaining the Demon's Souls lore, are not represented even nearly as equally in this. Think of a Dark Souls equivalent to Astraea's and Garl's relationship. ;)

Sorry, i won't slander this wonderful game anymore. I'm drunk. -_-

I've got no problem with nabbing the relatively overpowered Drake Sword early on; it's the difference between facing an oncoming avalance of shit with nothing or a teaspoon - at least you have something to help dig your way out.

I made the mistake of levelling up everything but strength as a Wanderer up until that section of the game. I've got a lovely halberd and the Drake Sword in my inventory but not the strength to use them single-handed :(

Probably why it was so fucking difficult.

Reached the gargoyles anyway (eventually) after a couple of upgrades to my lousy scimitar and another level up, (and a trip to Firelink for extra flaskage) at which point I got rid of the earlier minibosses no-problem. Main problem now is not knowing good healing strategies given how they've made it really slow to do.

So I thought I'd go human for the big boss battle (to summon some AI) and as soon as I reached the fog door some fucker with a bulb head and mental fireball spell invaded me. :(

The main thing is you still get that good feeling when you make progress, which cancels out most of the complaints you have when you don't. :D

Edit: Also agreed on the characters. There's also something disappointing about the fact they're not all Scottish.

That is a very good point - the NPC's, which were vital in semi-explaining the Demon's Souls lore, are not represented even nearly as equally in this. Think of a Dark Souls equivalent to Astraea's and Garl's relationship. ;)

Sorry, i won't slander this wonderful game anymore. I'm drunk. -_-

I just miss the descriptions of the levels you got when you touched the archstones.

Tho at first when i thought maybe i preferred demons, i went to anor londo, and then back to the painted world, and was like, god damn, the levels in this game fucking sublime. Seriously, this is fucking god tier level design. And then i was like shit...maybe i do prefer this slightly to demons..ah sure it doesnt matter, what matters is weve got 2 fucking amazing games from the same series :D

Went back to painted world and this time took on the boss, found the hidden annex area too. Also took on all 4 titanite demons in sens fortress in one go, and now i mbeing summoned in anor londo! must dash!

• Upvote 2

Possible negs on the way, but after 150 hours, i can say for sure i prefer Demon's Souls over this. There's nothing wrong with it per se, it's just i can't think of a single thing that bothers me about the original, whereas this has loads of bits that seem like a chore (first time cuntish, second/third time tiresome).

There, i said it! <_<

I agree, Demon's Souls is loads more replayable too, what with not having Lost Izalith/Tomb of Giants/Crystal Cave (delete as applicable). It has better bosses and better multiplayer as well, there's nothing as bad as Capra or Centipede demon in DeS. I also prefer the hub world. That's not saying Dark Souls isn't amazing, because it is, easily my GotY so far but for me it's just not as good as the original. If Demon's Souls is a 10/10 (and it is) then this is a 9/10 or something.

Sun bro Solaire is just as charming as any Demon's Souls NPC though, I love that guy.

Lost Izalith/Tomb of Giants/Crystal Cave

Nut-shell > summed it up!

I do love alot of the NPC's in this game, no doubt. But it's not even nearly the same (Patches aside).

But, given the aformentioned places, whether the developers felt the need to 'fill it out', just to delay the end-game? I dunno.

I guess to some extent it's nice that it's not just more of the same. There are now two games you can play side-by-side and have totally different experiences with. I prefer Demons Souls too and its hub layout but it's no bad thing they tried to expand.

Either way, it'd be nice if they'd patch in some way to keep Demons Souls online portion alive, too. That whole side to the game was genius and a lot better done than it is now with the P2P. I never fully understood the world/character tendency stuff but that dynamic in the levels and how it changed across the server was pretty unique. Guess it's now just a victim of its own popularity :(

I also think in some ways they struggled to think of how to make the game more challenging. I thought there'd be more booby traps and cunning level design but most of it seems to be more combat and scarcer resources.

Doesn't stop it being a good game at all. Just a bit of disappointment that some things have changed.

Bugger it. 30 hours in and I slice up the Blacksmith (Andre?). I can't stop myself taking swipes at the ghost's of other players and this time it cost me. I'm screwed aren't I.

I need some advice.

I have started over as a bandit. Jut upgraded my Dex to 12 so I can use bow and shoot the

dragon's tail and head. After this I will level up and hit 22. Should I venture around more and kill all black knight and the massive one in the church before I head out to the Gargoyles? I have seen the entrance to this forest looking area, is that a good place to go for me now? Or is killing the gargoyles step 1 of every route I can take?

Thanks

edit: I hope Blacksmith Ed is back in the game, he had an excellent voice - particularly the laugh - in Demon's

Bugger it. 30 hours in and I slice up the Blacksmith (Andre?). I can't stop myself taking swipes at the ghost's of other players and this time it cost me. I'm screwed aren't I.

If you didn't kill him, you could go absolve your sins at the bell tower. If you did, there are others... but you'll have trouble upgrading your weapons to full capacity.

DF0 -

The gargoyles should really be your first port of call after a bit of levelling up. The forest's a good choice too - the enemies are tougher, but you'll get more souls and the boss down there is easy. I wouldn't recommend putting strength above 16 though - unless they patch it, many weapons don't scale well to your base stats and 16 allows you to single hand a claymore and some nice shields.

As for my preferred game - it's Dark Souls. I love the open world, the fact that armour's genuinely useful and a whole bunch of other things. Demon's Souls did certain things better, such as the lore and characters (Executioner Miralda had more personality in two lines than anyone in Dark Souls)... but the best of Dark Souls, to me, is better than the best of Demon's Souls. However, the worst of Dark is also worse than Demon's. Bed of Chaos can piss off forever.

Oh yeah, I'd been staying away so I'd not get any random spoilers. Got my 1000 though, so all is well. And I'm still playing. :S

• Upvote 3

Deef:

You can go wherever you like, pretty much! Personally, I cleared the church of knights, including the big bast and the guys upstairs, before taking on the gargoyles and then heading to the forest. Hell, if you really hate yourself you can head straight to Blighttown (awesome area but rock hard at your stage). Do what you fancy - Outside of the goals you've been given, to ring those bells, there's not much linearity between you and how you get there

So last night I went to Lost Izalith. Ugh. Wasn't quite so bad once I realised the You Know Whats didn't respawn, but was still a proper slog. Sad thing is, it could have been great if there had been less lava trudging, fewer to no YKWs and more of the enemies you encounter right before the boss.

Got summoned to someone else's game right before the boss, so had a preview of what to expect. Felt more of a platforming challenge than a fight, but still enjoyed it. The poor guy I tried to help at reached the boss at SL60 and was SL80 when I left him, with no clue how to damage the boss whatsoever once he'd polished off left and right. Worked it out by fluke back in my game, and sent him a message to hopefully help him through it (and gave him tips on how to get his very own Scythe of Win, since he asked).

Overall I'm glad LZ is over with though. It really is a bit half-arsed. Off to New Londo next, then the Tomb of Giants, then time for the big bad. And NG+. And a new character. And hunting more spells. And legendary weapons. And...

And I still love this game.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the advice and tips all :)

edit: another question. All these specific people I meet all around the world, they are 'just' vendors right? Like in Demon's. This whole attune system is not overly important my first run right? I do not want to talk someone to find out another person will not talk me and thus no sell me this pretty weapon I want.

Pretty much, yeah. Joining one covenant won't preclude you from joining others though, and most will give you treats (rings, spells, etc) just for joining, which you can keep after you part company. I think most people, myself included, have flit between covenants to get maximum treats on their first run. I've just betrayed one for more treats, but aside from that kind of bandying, they'll always welcome you back :hug:

Edit: That's right, I said bandying.

If you didn't kill him, you could go absolve your sins at the bell tower. If you did, there are others... but you'll have trouble upgrading your weapons to full capacity.

DF0 -

The gargoyles should really be your first port of call after a bit of levelling up. The forest's a good choice too - the enemies are tougher, but you'll get more souls and the boss down there is easy. I wouldn't recommend putting strength above 16 though - unless they patch it, many weapons don't scale well to your base stats and 16 allows you to single hand a claymore and some nice shields.

As for my preferred game - it's Dark Souls. I love the open world, the fact that armour's genuinely useful and a whole bunch of other things. Demon's Souls did certain things better, such as the lore and characters (Executioner Miralda had more personality in two lines than anyone in Dark Souls)... but the best of Dark Souls, to me, is better than the best of Demon's Souls. However, the worst of Dark is also worse than Demon's. Bed of Chaos can piss off forever.

Oh yeah, I'd been staying away so I'd not get any random spoilers. Got my 1000 though, so all is well. And I'm still playing. :S

AND THE LOST IZALITH!

My relief at escaping from Blightown was premature. Turns out I just went in one way and out the other without realising there was a boss down there that I need to fight. Worse still it turns out said boss is pretty tough. How do you predict when she's about to use the explosion attack?

My relief at escaping from Blightown was premature. Turns out I just went in one way and out the other without realising there was a boss down there that I need to fight. Worse still it turns out said boss is pretty tough. How do you predict when she's about to use the explosion attack?

Her head droops and she stops moving. Just sit there blocking it and accept a bit of chip damage if you're not certain you have time to evade. And get a fire-resistant shield. And possibly reinforce the ground level bonfire if you're worried about getting chipped to death because you're not doing damage so quickly. She gives you loads of time to heal at different points.

IF you do reinforce the bonfire then watch out for

a NPC invader (who's not actually so tough and drops loot), because you'll now be human, and a new lass who'll sell you pyromancies