The Sarge

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

Hi all. I posted this question in the Demon Souls thread by accident and got a Demon Souls answer. Wrong game!

Anyway. I've just started Dark Souls and after a bit of research discovered that healing magic and the early pyromaniac skills are worthwhile investments. I started out as a Hunter, but I'm not a fan of the bow at all.

Would I be better off with a Warrior or Knight? The pyromancer doesn't sound all that fun to me in itself...

I find the Pyromancer to be a great starting class. Starting with the Pyro hand is a big bonus. As the Pyro starts with a very low soul level, it's easier to shape it in to exactly what you want. Practice combat in Undead Burg, especially backstabs and possibly Parries until an enemy drops a Hollow Soldier Shield which, stamina permitting, will block 100% of a physical attack. You can do a fairly easy suicide run into Darkroot Garden for the Elite Knight Armour.

Good luck.

So finished Dark Souls (plus DLC) at the weekend. Loved it. Every minute of it. All 80 hours of it.

I was, however, surprised by how easy it got after Sen's Fortress. The game was bastard hard to begin with, but the stronger I got, the easier it became.

I played as a Knight and pretty much concentrated on leveling up Strength, Vitality and Endurance only. By the time I finished all three were around the 40 mark. The only spells I used were the basic minor health upgrade spell and crappy fireball.

With a +5 Black Knight Sword and Havel's/Stone Amour I was pretty much destroying everything in my path without too much bother.

Got my PTDE and the package contents and lovely in this manual-less age, the artbook is really nice. Having said that can or should I install/register this through steam or should I just install it from the disc?

Just came across this cute image http://imgco.de/112QSQ.gif and it reminded me that I'll be perfectly okay with DkS2 having a more story/narrative centric approach if it is anything like Artorias of the Abyss.

Dark Souls had most of its (beautiful) story told through the items and placement in the world but Artorias of the Abyss and Demon's Souls both actually had a narrative and a proper purpose to the player along with an actual conclusion to the stories both of them tell, and that's fine because it still offered the great backstory and questions within the mediums that were also offered in Dark Souls.

• Upvote 1

I recently started playing this again, new character rather than my save from 2011, just getting in 30 mins to an hour here and there but thoroughly enjoying it so far. Did a bit of homework before setting off to the Burg so

did a couple of runs through the Valley of the Drakes for the bandit armour set & red ring, then back again for a decent shield (100% physical) and Asura's sword (so far useless since I'm a pyro and haven't put any points into faith). The out with the ghosts in the New Londo ruins for a fire keeper soul for a +1 estus flask.

In the Burg I killed the Black Knight on my third attempt, ended up flaming him and getting the blue tear stone ring. Couldn't get a backstab on him, despite backstabbing and parrying other enemies fairly easily.

Dispatched the Taurus Demon quickly with the drop and hit method, the shield helped here when he did take a swing. Onto the bridge, enemies and a dragon it's obvious what's coming (I remember this setup from Demon's Souls), I run but not fast enough, flamed to death.

So back, pick up my souls, take off my armour for faster running, and make it to the stairs on the bridge. Joy! A fire! Jump down, rest at fire, wait a minute... I recognise this place, it's where I just started from...

Of course after I stopped playing I find out I can kick the ladder down :doh:

I've just got the drake sword, been poisoned by some bloody rats, decided that way doesn't look like the best way into the Parish so climbed a tower and stupidly decided to fight the black knight at the top. So I'm back a my favourite fire again, except this time I can put a point into strength to use the drake sword - although I'm not sure about using it, seems a bit cheap.

I'd love to work on a game like this.

• Upvote 4

Got a replacement product key from Namco which works, now I'm getting the games for windows infinite update loop. Does anyone know a fix for this?

Might be worth uninstalling GFWL, and just re-download it manually, install it and let it update. Then fire up DS

• Upvote 1

Something I’ve been wondering, and can’t find example of anywhere is…

With just Gwyn left to tackle, has anyone emptied the rest of the entire game of all possible enemies?

Ie – could they then just roam through ever level and view the environments without seeing any enemies? I know there will be a couple of anomalies, but you get the gist of the question? I think it would be a pretty cool feeling

How annoying would it be to then drop off a platform accidentally and hear the bonfire noise, knowing that all of that hard work is wasted

They respawn after a while, sadly. I did a big run through New Londo, Drakes, Darkroot, Undead Parish and Burg and back through Firelink to the Drakes again and they were all sat there waiting for me.