Microsoft TGS Keynote

Roboplegic Wrongcock

So MS had their Keynote earlier in Japan and announced loads of new games they are so they say all exclusive to The Xbox 360. Trailers were shown and should be up later on the interwebs.

Steel Battalion Heavy Armor (Capcom, From Software). This all-new game revives the fan-favorite “Steel Battalion” series. With the support of Microsoft, Capcom and From Software join forces to bring this groundbreaking collaborative project to Xbox 360. Manhattan, 2082: In a world where computers and almost all modern technology have been lost, the greatest nations of the world continue to battle for supremacy. The American army lands in New York to begin its first big offensive of a long ground war. Soldiers fire from the trenches as scorched bunkers belch black smoke. As comrades continually fall to the unrelenting crossfire of bullets, the Vertical Tanks make their relentless advance. Experience the battlefield as never before with Kinect for Xbox 360..

msft-tgs-live-0552.jpg

msft-tgs-live-0553.jpg

msft-tgs-live-0557.jpg

Suda 51 also announced Codename:D

codename D (Grasshopper Manufacture, Microsoft Game Studios). From the famed markers of “killer7” and the “NO MORE HEROES” series comes “codename D” from SUDA 51 for Microsoft Game Studios. You must fight for your life to survive an evil amusement park filled with twisted and eerie creatures.

msft-tgs-keynote0696.jpg

msft-tgs-live-0527.jpg

PQTbk.jpg

Project Draco from Grounding Inc., the company of Yukio Futasugi, creator of Phantom Dust and more importantly Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Saga

The director of the cult hits “Phantom Dust” and “Panzer Dragoon,” game director Yukio Futatsugi, brings you an epic 3-D flying shooter. With the magic of Kinect for Xbox 360, you will be able to nurture and learn to communicate with your dragon as you develop its skills and train it as a partner in combat. Then join friends on Xbox LIVE to feel the rush of flight as you take to the skies together and experience breathtaking vistas and engage in thrilling battles.

msft-tgs-live-0520.jpg

msft-tgs-live-0522.jpg

phpN2dp5sdraco.jpg

The other new games announced were

Fire Pro Wrestling

msfttgslive0508.jpg

fpwscreenshot3.jpg

Radiant Silvergun for XBLA

Local co-op play, downloadable replays, improved graphics

yCTd2.jpg

kkHpc.jpg

Rise of Nightmares (SEGA). “Rise of Nightmares” offers a spine-tingling horror experience that uses the innovative new controls of Kinect for Xbox 360 to give players the ultimate fright. Using their whole body, players will experience fear and tension as never before in this exclusive Kinect horror adventure.
Haunt (NanaOn-Sha, Microsoft Game Studios). Gather friends and family to delve deep into a haunted house dripping with mystery — you’ll need every ounce of your wit and cunning if you hope to unravel the veil of rumors that hide its darkest secret. Dodge traps and outwit ghosts, ghouls and frights that lurk with glee around each and every corner. Take a deep breath and immerse yourself in “Haunt,” spooky fun for Kinect for Xbox 360.

And

Dr Kawashima's Body and Brain Exercises

I can not help but to think Microsoft is getting desperate in Japan. Let us crack open a few cans of 'those' Japanese type games and hope fir the best.

I get the impression they're going through the motions, to ensure that Japanese developers continue to develop for the states, on their hardware.

What would be really cool would be the ability to use the Steel Battalion controller. They'd only need a USB adapter to replace the break-off part of the cable.

It's not that easy, there are security chips inside the 360 controller to prevent those type of adapters. I'd rather see a new controller for SB.

It's not that easy, there are security chips inside the 360 controller to prevent those type of adapters. I'd rather see a new controller for SB.

I'd rather than be able to use my old one than buy a very expensive controller multiple times. Surely MS can build the actual interface to hook up the old controller so it would be ok - they actually were responsible for the original controller, despite it being a Capcom game.

Steel Battalion and Kinect seem a really good match, IMO. Really interested to see how that one goes.

Because pushing 30 different make-believe buttons in mid-air is easy? :unsure:

At least From's on board, that'll make it OK from a mecha point-of-view.

Steel Battalion and Kinect seem a really good match, IMO. Really interested to see how that one goes.

Really ? Going from all those lovely buttons, switches and twiddly knobs, I just can't see how this will work on Kinnect unless it's significantly dumbed down. Ok, so the basics of movement work you can move you legs to walk, you can move your arms around to move your VT's torsoand target it's weapons. But how do you select weapons or switch the different views, or use the windscreen wipers and change gear to go faster, or restart you VT, or flip up the lid ready to press the eject button or all those other cool things.

Steel Battalion was pretty much the ultimate hard-core gaming experience... not just for the controller, or the price, but the fact it wiped your character if you died. I just hope this isn't the equivalent of Wii Robot waggler.

There's no way in hell that waving you arms about like a loon with no physical feedback at all will replicate or even come anywhere close to the original Steel Battalion experience. Anyone who has played Kinect can tell you that the damned thing isn't accurate enough for that, and not actually holding a controller already ruins most of the charm and fun for this particular game. Fucking hell, Kinect.

You move the robot around by holding two bananas like levers. One for turning, one for moving forward-backward. By pressing your thumb against the black top of the banana-peel you launch missiles (left) or operate the machine gun (right). To eject from the robot, you hit the red tomato you're supposed to keep on your lap.

Games that support Kinect also have the option to support controllers while using Kinect(unless MS recently removed that feature), so this could be played with both Kinect and a controller for feedback.

Anyway, I'm definitely more interested in the 'horror' titles that were announced. Haunt looks pretty good and the description for Rise in Nightmares sounds great.

:)

Because pushing 30 different make-believe buttons in mid-air is easy? :unsure:

At least From's on board, that'll make it OK from a mecha point-of-view.

Really ? Going from all those lovely buttons, switches and twiddly knobs, I just can't see how this will work on Kinnect unless it's significantly dumbed down. Ok, so the basics of movement work you can move you legs to walk, you can move your arms around to move your VT's torsoand target it's weapons. But how do you select weapons or switch the different views, or use the windscreen wipers and change gear to go faster, or restart you VT, or flip up the lid ready to press the eject button or all those other cool things.

Steel Battalion was pretty much the ultimate hard-core gaming experience... not just for the controller, or the price, but the fact it wiped your character if you died. I just hope this isn't the equivalent of Wii Robot waggler.

In my head, I just imagine this has the viewpoint of a FPS inside the mech(a). On screen you see your (virtual) arms and the controls below your windscreen. The game mirrors your arm movements and head tracks you as you look up, down, left and right to see what's going on. If they can nail the onscreen arms mirroring your own arms, it could work well. They can still keep the hardcore die = save wipe as well. I don't think I'm explaining it well, but in my head, I can just see it working.

Some very surprising and awesome announcements there! A lot more interesting than E3 in that regard. Although, if Steel Battalion and Panzer Dragoon are 100% Kinect exclusive then they can fuck off and the line-up becomes a bit less impressive.

It seems Microsoft are faced with a uphill struggle regarding Kinect. Everyone bitches there are no hardcore games on Kinect, Microsoft show off fan favourite hardcore games for Kinect and then everyone bitches that they're on Kinect.

There's no way in hell that waving you arms about like a loon with no physical feedback at all will replicate or even come anywhere close to the original Steel Battalion experience. Anyone who has played Kinect can tell you that the damned thing isn't accurate enough for that, and not actually holding a controller already ruins most of the charm and fun for this particular game. Fucking hell, Kinect.

The same could be said for Move if you only read reviews for Kung-Fu rider, while other Move games work perfectly. Hopefully that will be the case with Kinect. We'll have to wait and see until the good games hit.

Yes, probably because those people bitching don't see any added value in motion controls and are actually afraid games will be worse because of it. Who knows, maybe some amazing games will come out using Kinect, but I'm very sceptical.

We should really change the logo to include a forum motto.

rllmuk: we don't want no waggle

In my head, I just imagine this has the viewpoint of a FPS inside the mech(a). On screen you see your (virtual) arms and the controls below your windscreen. The game mirrors your arm movements and head tracks you as you look up, down, left and right to see what's going on. If they can nail the onscreen arms mirroring your own arms, it could work well. They can still keep the hardcore die = save wipe as well. I don't think I'm explaining it well, but in my head, I can just see it working.

AmpSuitAvatar_gallery_primary.jpg

While I like Avatar I'm not sure I want to be pretending to hold a gun all the time. It looked impractical in the movie. Neat idea though.