rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
amanset

Metroid Prime 3: It still will not click

Which is my point. It's a fudge because the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo isn't accomodating of games that have lots of functions. Prime 3 adds a layer to the process that would be better without. As I said, it's not directly Retro's fault. And I can't remember not being able to move while changing visors a problem in Prime 1 or 2 because Retro would have taken that into account when designing the game. I'd rather have a fast and easy way to switch beams and visors, which you do a lot of in the game. It's like with the map; the Zbutton isn't the most comfortable on the GC pad but it's there at your fingertips, not shoved on an uncomfortable out of the way button. That's my gripe with the Wii control setup in general. In Prime 1 and 2 on the GC everything you need is there at your fingertips. In Prime 3 it's awkward and unwieldy.

I take your point about free-aiming on the bosses but in regular minute to minute gameplay I see little point in it if you're going to use lock-on all the time.

Fair enough, horses, courses and all that. I can only say that I had no problem with the controls in Corruption, and indeed, when going back to Prime and Echoes in the Trilogy release, I had no problems with them in that either. If you did, nothing I can say will change that.

Press the - button, move the pointer, let go. It takes no time at all. You don't press it, select and then press it again. You just press, move the pointer, let go. With the advanced option, your pointer is always in the middle of the screen so it really is just a quick flick up left or right to select a visor.

Press and hold with a very unresponsive pointer.

I didn't get that across correctly. By free look, I mean the ability to look around whilst moving, which you couldn't do in Prime and Echoes. The enemies are still better dispatched with the lock on facility, the bosses require a combo of the two. Does that make more sense?

I guess, although the point at which I have decided to let it be is at a boss where it doesn't require a combo. There apparently was no way to lock on to the various bits of Mogenar (and I tried various different settings on it). I'll admit that I hate boss battles at the best of times (I find they are nothing more than an artificial ramp in difficulty so as to prolong game time), but one where you have to change the control mechanic from how you play the rest of the game for no good reason? Fuck that.

The controls in Corruption were fantastic, some of the best fps controls on any console :blink: OK the game might not be a classic like Metroid Prime but it is still a damn good game in its own right. Sad to hear you have such a dislike for it but at least you gave it a second chance which is a lot more than most people would do :)

The controls in Corruption were fantastic, some of the best fps controls on any console :blink: OK the game might not be a classic like Metroid Prime but it is still a damn good game in its own right. Sad to hear you have such a dislike for it but at least you gave it a second chance which is a lot more than most people would do :)

Cheers. I'm actually quite disappointed. Maybe that's why some of my criticisms may seem harsh.

Cheers. I'm actually quite disappointed. Maybe that's why some of my criticisms may seem harsh.

They don't seem harsh, they seem wrong. But like you say, perhaps the controls don't work for you due to your medical condition or, as you say, you might be too close to the TV.

Bottom line for me was that the wiimote just made playing the game harder and stuff wasnt working precisely.

I was getting angry at the controls rather than the enemies.

Of course, but you've probably seen that 99% of people actually found the controls excellent. So I'm guessing you've put the problem down to you not being comfortable with a control scheme. I'm guessing that's why you didn't start a thread going on about how the controls are broken, because you can see they can't be broken, it's just they're not for you. And there's nothing wrong with that.

• Upvote 1

They don't seem harsh, they seem wrong. But like you say, perhaps the controls don't work for you due to your medical condition or, as you say, you might be too close to the TV.

I didn't have the medical condition in 2007 when it first came out. It irritated me then as well. The whole medical condition thing is more about the reliance on pointing controls in general. As I said, I am now on the right painkillers and can actually sit upright, as I was doing last night and today when playing.

Bottom line for me was that the wiimote just made playing the game harder and stuff wasnt working precisely.

I was getting angry at the controls rather than the enemies.

It takes a while to get used to, I think the problem is that you you have to unlearn the controls of the previous two games and get used to the new ones. Overall I found prime 3s controls to be much much more precise and far easier to aim, similar in many ways to Resi 4. Like squirtle I loved the little details in the game like pulling and twisting the wiimote to move levers ect, Not a huge thing but it helped get me engrossed into the game and I wish more games had little touches like that with the controls instead of constant waggling

Of course, but you've probably seen that 99% of people actually found the controls excellent. So I'm guessing you've put the problem down to you not being comfortable with a control scheme. I'm guessing that's why you didn't start a thread going on about how the controls are broken, because you can see they can't be broken, it's just they're not for you. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Going by this thread it is a long way from 99%.

Like squirtle I loved the little details in the game like pulling and twisting the wiimote to move levers ect, Not a huge thing but it helped get me engrossed into the game and I wish more games had little touches like that with the controls instead of constant waggling

On that we'll have to agree to disagree. For me the pulling and twisting o the wiimote and nunchuck were idiotic and half the time didn't work right, leaving me again annoyed at the controls rather than actual in game stuff.

I can't play fighting games or football games on a pad because I find the whole thing far too complicated and unintuitive. I don't think the control scheme for fighting games is broken. I just think it's not for me.

As I have already said, this position is bullshit. It is the same as saying that you cannot say an album or TV show is crap because you should be saying "it isn't for me". Sod that. Are you telling me that you don't ever say things like albums or TV shows are crap?

I thought not.

I think you are overestimating Metroid Prime 3's sales a bit. "millions of people"?

I meant the Wii, not the game.

Sifting through the massive amounts of hyperbole in your descriptions of using the game's interface, it still just seems that something is wrong with your setup, or how you are using it. Maybe we need to see a video of this in action.

• Downvote 1

Sifting through the massive amounts of hyperbole in your descriptions of using the game's interface, it still just seems that something is wrong with your setup, or how you are using it. Maybe we need to see a video of this in action.

Or not. I don't think amanset's arse is quite up there with Wii Fit girl's.

As I have already said, this position is bullshit. It is the same as saying that you cannot say an album or TV show is crap because you should be saying "it isn't for me". Sod that. Are you telling me that you don't ever say things like albums or TV shows are crap?

I thought not.

I think it's different. You can say you thought MP3 the game was crap. I thought 2 was crap. But you can't, I don't think, say the controls don't work. You can say you don't like the controls. But I don't think you can say they don't work when the overwhelming majority not only think they work but also think they work well.

If I dug up my mum and let her play Halo she would spin the mastercheif guy around for a bit and then give up in disgust. She would probably think the controls broken and the game unplayabe. But if she then read page after page of reviews and comments on the game, most of them praising the controls she would probably look at herself rather than the game.

Or perhaps everything I have said is true and you liked everything else enough to see beyond it, whilst for me all it did was irritate me. Going by this thread I am not alone in that.

a very unresponsive pointer.

I don't understand this bit. The Wii pointer is ridiculously responsive with barely any effort outside of little flicks of the wrist.

The only thing I can assume (and forgive the assumption if it isn't true) is that you're sitting too close to the TV/sensor, which would make the cursor dance about the screen quite erratically.

I don't understand this bit. The Wii pointer is ridiculously responsive with barely any effort outside of little flicks of the wrist.

The only thing I can assume (and forgive the assumption if it isn't true) is that you're sitting too close to the TV/sensor, which would make the cursor dance about the screen quite erratically.

About six feet from the TV. There is noticeable drag when moving the pointer.

Is amanset angel in disguise? Sitting 10" away from a 42" screen or something?

About six feet from the TV. There is noticeable drag when moving the pointer.

there shouldn't be. You got some LCD lag stuff going on?

there shouldn't be. You got some LCD lag stuff going on?

Never noticed it in anything else.

Edit:

And thinking about it, I bought MP3 three months before I even had an LCD TV and it had the same issue back then. Perhaps I am just more sensitive to it?

It's weird you have problems with the controls in MP 3, they were hailed as the perhaps the greatest achievement of the game and a benchmark for motion-controlled FPSers. The setup I used, can't remember which one now, worked perfectly and it was about holding B or A pressed to avoid the view spazzing about - only strafing or moving Samus with the nunchuk stick was possible with it pressed. So you can look around, lock it at some angle and then move around without it changing.

And Mogenar? Argh, hated that boss - one of the most annoying/difficult bosses I have ever encountered. Felt like I needed a 10 man raid to get him down <_<

I want a Metroid without a frustrating boss, please! Hard - yes, fine. Insanely frustrating - no thanks.

• Upvote 1

Six feet should be fine. It's generally better the further back you are, but I've played it closer than that and managed okay.

Never noticed it in anything else.

Edit:

And thinking about it, I bought MP3 three months before I even had an LCD TV and it had the same issue back then. Perhaps I am just more sensitive to it?

That's entirely possible, which is unfortunate. :(

I don't recall any cursor lag myself, but it's been a while since I last played it.

See, in this clip, this is how I remember it. Moving around freely, swapping to visors quickly... There's a bit where swaps to scan mode at about 3.20 which is barely noticable, it's so quick.

• Upvote 2