Slowdive appreciation thread

Actually, this is just an excuse to post some videos I found on Youtube. It's just camcorder footage of the band soundchecking and generally dicking around. The uploader (who may or may not be bassist Nick Chaplin) describes them as "Home movies", which is pretty accurate, I'd say.

6 videos in total. Also picked up on this lovely fan-made video for Shine, which I thought might be of interest:

It only just occured to me to look for this on Spotify, seeing as physical copies are quite rare. It's there, so I'm listening now.

I used to have a CD single remixes of In Mind, not looked for that yet on Spotify. I still listen to their other stuff on and off (along with Ride and Lush).

Slowdive performing "slowdive", London 1993. I thought they were supposed to be rubbish live? Suppose that's just another bullshit line cooked up by the music press of the time:

Love old footage, especially camcorder stuff. Anyway, promise that's the last vid for a while.

The other day I just went and rebought both Souvlaki and Pygmalion so that I could get the second CD for each. Stupid thing is I have an original release of Souvlaki that also had a second CD, called "Blue Day" and made up of a few of early EPs). I swear if they released it again with another second CD, with just a rejigged track list of stuff I already have, I'd buy it again.

I used to have a CD single remixes of In Mind, not looked for that yet on Spotify. I still listen to their other stuff on and off (along with Ride and Lush).

Those remixes are on the second CD to Souvlaki, if anyone is interested:

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/15751446/Souvlaki/Product.html

Never really got into Lush, but I was mental for Ride back in the day. My first ever website was a Ride fansite. Seeing as I was on my BSc at the time, it had to be before 1996. I've still got the files somewhere. It is just so impressively bad - it uses the BLINK tag and everything.

I also found out about the Mark/Andy acoustic reunion shows in Stockholm approximately a week after they actually happened. I may even have cried because I missed them. The MP3s are well worth tracking down. If you can't find them and are DESPERATE then I am sure I will be able to help you out ;) My favourite bit: the excited and happy shout of "Let's shoegaze!".

Chapterhouse were completely devoid of talent. I was a huge fan of this music back in the day, but I don't think it holds up these days. The best bits were incorporated into evolving styles of music like Post Rock. Bizarrely, Chapterhouse still play gigs in the US, whilst the other bands at least had the decency to know when enough was enough. The whole shoegaze thing has a lot of fans in the States, and I couldn't help smiling when a poster remarked that Reading was *the* place to be in the late 80's due to the whole 'Scene That Celebrates Itself' thing.

Chapterhouse were completely devoid of talent. I was a huge fan of this music back in the day, but I don't think it holds up these days. The best bits were incorporated into evolving styles of music like Post Rock. Bizarrely, Chapterhouse still play gigs in the US, whilst the other bands at least had the decency to know when enough was enough. The whole shoegaze thing has a lot of fans in the States, and I couldn't help smiling when a poster remarked that Reading was *the* place to be in the late 80's due to the whole 'Scene That Celebrates Itself' thing.

"Dreampop" *smirk*

Every shoegazing band magically found a new dimesion to their sound when they realsied they couldn't continue the way they were going.

Slowdive: Ambient. Later pretty much reformed as Mojave 3 and went folk/country.

Ride: Classic Rock (hell, one song on Taratula rips off "Sweet Home Alabama" so badly it hurts)

Chapterhouse: Flirtations with heavy rock, ambient and dance rock

Moose: Country

Boo Radleys: Out and out pop

They all moved away from true shoegazing.

There was a rumour in my school that Felicity Barrett was the sister of Russell Barrett, Chapterhouse's bassist. I never did work out if it was true.

Just listened to Leave Them All Behind which is the only Ride track I have on my laptop. Never got in to Slowdive for some reason which is strange as I liked most of the other bands mentioned - will check them out.

AKA the last ever record (the single) that I tried to buy on vinyl when the CD was also available. I tried three different copies and they all stuck in exactly the same place. Was so weird. Must have been a messed up pressing.

Slowdive were the band that the other shoegazing bands took the piss out of. Like the REALLY ugly and thick kid at school that all the other rejects, well, reject.

I was a typical indie kid in the early 90s and was really into the whole shoegazing scene and saw all these bands more times than I care to remember, but My Bloody Valentine was and still is the ruler of the scene. I popped up to Glasgow to see them play Barrowlands a year or two ago and they were fucking amazing.

There's a fantastic compilation album of dreampop and shoegaze - I'll have to dig it out to get the name, but it's three cd's of pure fucking aural excellence.

Loop were/still are amazing, Fade Out & A Gilded Eternity are cracking records.

RE: Chapterhouse, I thought they'd just changed their name to 'Engineers' ;)

One thing that always saddens me when I think about it is how Andy Bell joined Oasis. Ride weren't the best band ever but they had their moments and they had imagination, something crucially lacking from anything Oasis ever did. He must have felt awfully constrained being with them although I guess the paycheck didn't hurt.

Loop weren't a Shoegazing band or part of that scene, they started much earlier, and had completely different influences (Krautrock and infamously Spacemen 3 if anyone was around at the time of that well reported argument between the two bands). You are right in that they still sound great though. I actually still quite like Flying Saucer Attack - I didn't think much of them at the time, but can see now that they were pushing things a bit further than their contemporaries in terms of sound. The saddest part of indie at that time was the transformation of The Telescopes from a snarling balll of angst to a Shoegaze type band complete with haircuts d'jour, very sad indeed.

One thing that always saddens me when I think about it is how Andy Bell joined Oasis. Ride weren't the best band ever but they had their moments and they had imagination, something crucially lacking from anything Oasis ever did. He must have felt awfully constrained being with them although I guess the paycheck didn't hurt.

For me Ride died sometime after playing Birdman on TOTP. I'd possibly include that entire album but I have to leave it in there are that sight, on TOTP, of all the teenyboppers not having a clue what was going on was amazing.

But yeah, if I am honest, It allended after Going Blank Again. They admit themselves these days that they were dicks and they feel pretty ashamed about it all.

Oasis was a bad move, but Hurricane #1 before that. Jeeeeeesus.

And Tarantula just straight up never happened. Never.

Ugh, no. I loved Rachel Goswell as much the next indie kid, but it just sounds 'of it's time' to me, whereas other music of the day (including MBV, Spacemen 3, Loop) still sounds great. I still love elements of the sound of a lot of these bands, just not in the context they were used in at the time.

whereas other music of the day (including MBV, Spacemen 3, Loop) sti

They weren't of the same day. MBV disappeared after Loveless in 1991, Spacemen 3's last record was in 1991, the same year as Slowdive's first. Loop are even worse, their last album was in 1990 and didn't release a single, er, single in the 90s.

I would say "Just for a Day" has dated, but Souvlaki and Pygmalion still hold up to their own.

It's the same era of music. As I said above, Loop et al weren't part of the 'scene' at the time, as most of the shoegaze bands watered down (or distilled, depends on your point of view I guess) the ideas of the bands that had been before (MBV, Cocteau Twins most notably but not exclusively). I only listened to Pygmalion recently, having read that is was some kind of masterwerk. It isn't, it's just as insipid as their other stuff, although granted that sound has aged a little better. Souvlaki is only vaguely interesting due to Eno's input, which is only a couple of tracks iirc.

However, Slowdive were probably the most interesting of a bad bunch. Ride turned into an complete non-entity with their music quickly enough, Chapterhouse were shit to start with, and then there were bands like Swervedriver who were kind of lumped in with them but who didn't really share the same sound at all. Then you had bands who were influenced by these bands (including my own band at the time!) who were even worse - the Bell Tower and Revolver in the UK for example, and bands like the Drop 19's in the US.

They had Just for a Day and Souvlaki two disc versions in Rough Trade this weekend. Expensive though.

No mention of Pale saints, which is an omission. Started off shoegazing, rapidly outgrew it and for a brief while were an amazing mix of melody, odd time signatures and superability rhythm section. Here's 'Hunted' from their second album, the last before they began to explode.

Ride started out good, but quickly got 'cleaned up' which ruined the rawness that made them great. The EP with 'Chelsea Girl' on it is still brilliant.

This one

e61131ykxd3.jpg

The first three eps were excellent, although I haven't actually listened to them recently, probably not since they came out, so I'm not sure how they stand up today.

e61132dfrdm.jpge61133ai7y2.jpg

Chelsea Girl, Drive Blind, Taste, Like A Daydream, Nowhere. I was really disappointed with the debut album because it just sounded as though they'd run out of ideas, ideas which were put to excellent use on these three eps. Just everything about them; the pop sensiblities, the caustic guitars, the artwork.

If you want the definitive Ride then those 12 songs are where it begins and ends.

I must admit to never really being a SLowdive fan. The first couple of eps were interesting, but owing more to atmospherics than any great muscianship, songwriting ability or creative genius. Their debut album was one idea stretched too far.