Shadows Of The Damned

Smitty

I thought it was the exact opposite, it was incredibly polished for a Grasshopper game. Not quite finished, think I'm on 4-3 too and struggling to find the chance to play it whilst my daughters at home (teacher training day yesterday, luckily her teacher wasn't part of the strikes on Thursday).

As for the Unreal Engine, is it that that makes everything look kind of wet and slimey looking? Even things that aren't? Surely theres a way around it as the early stages of Alice Madness Returns aren't incredibly shiny and wet looking.

I have encountered numerous bugs and issues. Enemies getting stuck in scenery, Garcia getting stuck behind an obstacle, Gracia getting stuck in between a big enemy and an obstacle, cut scenes not triggering allowing me to venture through a level and even to parts where I am not supposed to go (e.g. through walls), Gracia even fell through the floor once. This is what I mean by 'not polished'.

About the Unreal engine, it is certainly not a wet-look effect. It is literally textures building up right in plain sight. Unfortunately I have no means of capturing footage.

I have encountered numerous bugs and issues. Enemies getting stuck in scenery, Garcia getting stuck behind an obstacle, Gracia getting stuck in between a big enemy and an obstacle, cut scenes not triggering allowing me to venture through a level and even to parts where I am not supposed to go (e.g. through walls), Gracia even fell through the floor once. This is what I mean by 'not polished'.

About the Unreal engine, it is certainly not a wet-look effect. It is literally textures building up right in plain sight. Unfortunately I have no means of capturing footage.

I know the texturing thing is an issue with the Unreal Engine, its in this, Alice, Rainbow Six Vegas/Vegas 2, both Gears games, in fact everything that I've played that uses that engine. It's an annoyance definetly and really shouldn't be happening after all this time. I was merely commenting on the kind of "look" UE games tend to have, too much bloom/shiny textures, big beefy characters etc, although as I said, Alice doesn't really feature that kind of aesthetic...

Ah apologies, I did not understand you meant that. I agree it should not be happening, especially when there are engines out there (Framework by Capcom used for Resident Evil 5, Godfather by EA used for Dead Space 2, CryEngine by Crytek used for Crysis 2 and many others) that show things on screen that boggles the mind.

There was a couple occasions I noticed pop-in textures, didn't seem to be as bad as the other titles I mentioned. It too was a little over the top with the glossy effect.

What is the problem people are having with the Big Boner part? On Medium I died once because of a

runner I noticed too late.

Headshots = instant death. Perhaps another tip, once hit they stagger for 2 seconds. Use this time to look around you for incoming enemies.

Mind, I also cleared the Dead Space meteor sections first try so perhaps I am just amazing :hat:

What is the problem people are having with the Big Boner part? On Medium I died once because of a

runner I noticed too late.

Headshots = instant death. Perhaps another tip, once hit they stagger for 2 seconds. Use this time to look around you for incoming enemies.

Mind, I also cleared the Dead Space meteor sections first try so perhaps I am just amazing :hat:

They also tend to stagger so that the red markets on their heads fall where you were previously aiming, or they often did for me anyway.

Yeah the big boner parts were fine. What's wrong with you all?

And the chase parts weren't a problem either. I remember Salazar's right hand in Resident Evil 4 being more hassle.

Some of you must have rubbish hands.

Your right hand comes off?

Finished it and liked it overall but I don't think I'll be going on their next 'trip' unless they take things up several notches. The absolute low level shooting gameplay + the music and to a lesser extent general vibe carried the whole experience for me. Pretty much everything else has major draw backs to be honest and I have to say that the ending fell very flat. It was pretty much just "oh by the way we would like to make sequels" and practically nothing in the way of pay off.

Things are a few things that are truely shit:

-A few bits early on where you can't backtrack when you should be able to. (see my previous post)

-A few instances where after some particularly cheap deaths: a loading screen, a door or two to open, a couple of brief unskippable cutscenes and some chaff to kill before EVERY ATTEMPT.

-The 2D bits are horrendous. Enemies coming in right on top of you, not to mention the whole feel of them being shoddy.

This is totally elementary stuff in a very straightforward game, makes you wonder about the 'talent' designing and overseeing it all.

Having said all that, if you like the look of it, it is worth playing.

EDIT: Those bastards! There's a cheevo for completing on easy that you don't get from normal... what is this 2005?

All excellent points which I agree with.

Completely undermined by 'cheevo'.

I profusely apologise for not treating the hallowed Achievements™ with the awe that they inspire and deserve.

I hated this to start with, thought it was one of the many 'truly shit' games that get wanked over as brilliant on here.

However, It really is a Resident Evil game in a different skin. All the weapons are brilliant when you know what to use on which enemy and the boss fights are ace, if a little bit long.

I have had fairly low opinions of Suda 51 stuff in the past and for the life of me could never see what people saw in Killer 7 or NMH.

He seems to be the Tarantino of the games world, but has not yet managed to deliver his 'Pulp Fiction'

So, for all the preconceptions I went in with, a decent session on it today has changed my mind. Its decent.

Yes, I've been going through this recently (thanks solely to the the positive comments in this thread), and it's really rather fun. It's one of the easiest games I've played in a long while actually, and it's refreshing to see a developer put more emphasis on ensuring a fun experience, rather than a particularly challenging one.

The gameplay is mostly safe. The light/dark mechanic keeps things from feeling too similar to Resi 4/5 but the action is satisfying. The weapons all have a good kick to them and their upgrade paths and special features all make sense. The banter and general tone of the game works well at keeping things appropriately wacky, and there are just enough distractions and enemy types dotted around each level, to stop the action from feeling repetitive.

The 2D bits (that I've played, I'm currently at the end of chapter 4) are simple affairs, but are welcome enough, and I also didn't have any massive problems with the 'big boner' level, even though I was glad it finished when it did.

Overall, it's a really solid experience. Unremarkable in many ways, but rarely is it anything other than a pleasure to play. I was sad to read that there is no new game plus mode though. With the lack of multiplayer, it would have been nice to have an additional incentive to go round again, but if they do get chance to make a follow up, I can't imagine not picking it up.

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

Did this on medium. Decided to get all the achievements, so went on easy to get all the red gems as they are 45 white gems each.

Got to the last part to buy stuff from Christopher, even if I got the last two hidden red gems, I was 6 short. Game really needed a chapter select.