rllmuk
Preacher

Korg M01 for Nintendo DS

Only vaguely related to Korg M01, but I thought you might be interested to know Sanodg's got a new album out:

Game music without the game attached? That's what it sounds like to me. Love it.

whhhhaaaaatttt!? no-one told me before!

Ordered. sanodg rocks.

You can connect the headphone output to a mixer or soundcard, but that's about it. It's nice to toy around with and a fun packed portable thing, but if you really want to start making music you'd probably be better off by investing some money in a good sequencer/audio app like Ableton Live LE and some (free) VSTs.

I think Korg DS-10 is perfect for the price. Abelton may be a fully-featured, "proper" music creation tool, but the privilege will cost you a non-refundable £300, which isn't exactly ideal if you're just looking to dip your toe in.

Broker, I posted some of the more impressive DS-10 compositions in the DS-10 thread. Some made with a regular DS-10, others using the expanded functionality that comes with DS10+ (you'll need an import copy of DS-10 plus and a DSI from the same region to unlock this, unfortunately).

But as I said, DS-10 is a good entry-level music-making tool, and I expect M01 will be equally impressive. They're not without their limitations obviously (not least getting stuff off the thing and onto a PC/mac), but I think those videos I linked to not only demonstrate that doing so is perfectly possible, but that the quality of music being produced is also very, very high.

I think Korg DS-10 is perfect for the price. Abelton may be a fully-featured, "proper" music creation tool, but the privilege will cost you a non-refundable £300, which isn't exactly ideal if you're just looking to dip your toe in.

The entry level version is about 70-80 quid, and often comes bundled for free when you buy a proper soundcard or MIDI controller. These bundled versions are often sold second hand for peanuts because the owners already have a full version. Then you have the ability to handle VST instruments (loads of quality VSTs are free), effects, mixing, samples, slicing, beat mapping, recording, sequencing and the works.

• Upvote 1

The entry level version is about 70-80 quid, and often comes bundled for free when you buy a proper soundcard or MIDI controller. These bundled versions are often sold second hand for peanuts because the owners already have a full version. Then you have the ability to handle VST instruments (loads of quality VSTs are free), effects, mixing, samples, slicing, beat mapping, recording, sequencing and the works.

Are people selling these cheapy copies on ebay? The only copies of Live Intro I can see on ebay are physical, and the same price as the download versions brand new.

Nevertheless, I still think DS-10 is a great product that's well worth having, particularly if you're just starting out. Of course it's limited compared to Ableton, but that just means that the learning curve isn't as steep. Additionally, the stylus interface makes producing sounds and music very hands-on and intuitive (and a LOT of fun, to boot).

I'd make mention of its portability, but that depends on where and how you use it.

But what's really impressive is that despite the limitations, people are cranking out some awesome stuff, most of which I've linked to several times in the DS-10 thread. Anyway, I guess I'm just saying I wouldn't write it off too quickly.

The version of Live that's bundled with hardware is Live Lite, which is more limited than the entry level version, Live Intro (formerly Live LE). However, you could pick up a serial for Live Lite from someone who's got one going unused, and a Korg hardware controller like like NanoKey and get a free copy of the M1 Le VST, which has all of the original sounds from the M1, but none of the expansion cards. The full Korg Legacy Digital contains the M1 and every expansion, and the Wavestation plus its expansions.

6 hours ago, Blunted said:

If Gadget had some sort of export option I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Get it anyway it's brilliant on Switch.

I'm sure I will at some point, I'm just frustrated that the only option for sampling or whatever is recording out the headphones jack.

They added one export feature in a patch, but not as you expect.....

Set export to QR code

Scan QR code in Ipad version

Then use the ipad version to export to anything you like

I know not great, but as least there is some kind of option 

I've got Gadget on the switch. Again, like the DS synths you can output to a computer via headphone so as long as you match BPM's, you can edit the audio in your DAW (i use Reaper, much cheaper then Ableton).

I've not got any examples as i use real synths but the point for me is its a nice musical notepad.

10 hours ago, parrapatheslapper said:

I have no idea what this is or where to post it but I want it immediately.

image.png.0dc0084a30381d09f7781e6ea371bf8b.png

I don't have Gadget, but I might try and buy this because, well - just looks at it :o

10 hours ago, shynra said:

They added one export feature in a patch, but not as you expect.....

Set export to QR code

Scan QR code in Ipad version

Then use the ipad version to export to anything you like

I know not great, but as least there is some kind of option 

Was reading about this last night. Why would you bother using the switch version of you had the iPad one though?

There are loads of things this is underutilised for really. It would be lovely to use this as a midi controller for ableton

Re exporting tracks from it - could you not use a Hdmi audio splitter? Would presumably get a better bitrate than exporting from headphone jack. Still not ideal I know 

Even recording through a jack is too much though, as surely the point of this is to try to attract new people to trying out these things? I get that it’s a nice additional thing for proper producers, but surely putting it on the switch is an attempt to reach and interest a wider audience. In that context there being any hoops to jump through to actually get at the music you’ve made makes it effectively pointless for a beginner. If I’m going to have to buy more cables and software and splitters I’m spending loads on making my switch work as a half arsed audio production suite, I am as well by proper equipment. What would be amazing is being able to try this stuff out cheaply on switch and then expand out from there if I enjoy it. As is, if I want to ever use the music I’ve made for anything or play it to anyone, I need to buy more hardware that makes the whole thing more effort than I can be bothered with.

How has nobody in the world has made a simple music production programme that you can easily use for a single price as a beginner that actually allows you to output a regular sound file? Well obviously apple have, but I can’t have GarageBand on my PC.

1 hour ago, Broker said:

How has nobody in the world has made a simple music production programme that you can easily use for a single price as a beginner that actually allows you to output a regular sound file? Well obviously apple have, but I can’t have GarageBand on my PC.

Fruity Loops/FL Studio? 

Pretty sure you can unlimited trial it as well

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Broker said:

Reaper lets you out in trial mode I think. V reasonably priced too. Best of its kind.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to check out all those things, especially Caustic. It's weird though, even of those options which are incredibly resonably priced there's a big jump for most beginners between the £30 for the Switch software (which would make an ideal entry point for newcomers), £50 for Reaper, or £80 for the cheapest version of FruityLoops. I'm not sure about trial versions, but as an example if I'm knocking up a YouTube video or the title screen for a game demo I'm usually forced to use stock music from somewhere. I don't know about the legalities of selling or profiting from something developed with a trial version, but for everything else I need to do to produce a video or small game there's a wealth of easy to use, cheap or free software aimed at all levels of ability. By contrast, music software always seems incredibly confusing and expensive to me.

On a professional level I've always found Ableton to be a different class, particularly if playing live, but yes the bar for entry is extremely high. 

In all honesty though I'd say 70/80% producers at low level just pirate music software. It is very easy. 

Yeah, which I guess is what a lot of other people do with other software. I know for example though that if you’re making models for a game you need to have an official version of something like 3DS Max or they can detect models from a pirated version, or you have to use Blender. I’d assume that if you get caught producing music for a game you’re selling with a pirated or trial version there could be problems.

It just seems like an open goal for a company to produce something for £20-£30 which works for beginners and allows you to output simple files.

I'd second Caustic 3, for the price you get a very capable set of synths. I first used it on a Galaxy S2 and it worked reasonably well then, on newer hardware it should be even better. With some practice you can get to a point where you can get ideas down quickly, although with it being on a phone it can be a bit fiddly (who knew?).

Re Gadget, I'd agree Korg are probably going for the same market as the old DS synths. But anyone who would want to get anything from it beyond a bit of fun would go for the iPad version. I suspect a lot of this is down to Nintendo not allowing things like sending wavs to a Dropbox or some other simple way to export. A real shame because it looks really good.