rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
FishyFish

Locke & Key Netflix Series.

I haven’t read the source material. I also watched the first two episodes and it all feels a bit like a CW series.

The trailer for this really threw me. It started off with the kids talking to the camera and it was bad, like a CBBC show. To be honest I would have just skipped but there was a big “mature” banner next to it, so I kept watching.

The next bit was like an adult horror movie, before moving into something that looked more like Tim Burton crosses with Smallville. I didn’t watch it because my girlfriend declared it shite and we were looking for something to watch together, but it intrigued me. Which of those shows is it like? None of them? All of them?

Three episodes in I'd say the ratio is 85% bad US teen drama, 10% annoying precocious child gets into shenanigans accompanied by tweedly deedly dee soundtrack and 5% horror.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Harsin said:

I haven’t read the source material. I also watched the first two episodes and it all feels a bit like a CW series.

I had to google CW and I hate the feel of all of those shows, so will skip this. I’ve heard the source material is great so will check that out instead.

God this is awful and as someone who thinks the comic is one of the best ones I have ever read, this adaptation has made me so sad.

The interpretation of the head key was the breaking point for me, and to be honest it was a hard watch before then.

On 07/02/2020 at 15:00, deerokus said:

I didn't realise this was going to be more of a family friendly goosebumps type of thing. Interest crushed. 

The mature rating suggests otherwise, surely.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

The mature rating suggests otherwise, surely.

Apart from the very rare use of the word ‘shit’ in the first 2 episodes, it’s very much a 12A rated show.

I feel so bad for fans of Joe Hill, he's such a great horror writer but all of his adaptations from Horns, NOS42R, Tall Grass and now Locke and Key have been disappointing.

He should have got his dad to push for Mike Flannagan to direct Locke and Key.

Conversely, as someone with no awareness of the source material and who also has an 11 year old boy this is a great watch. We're trying to unravel the mystery of what's going on and the keys are really cool. We are up to episode 5 and it's starting to drop in more sinister stuff and I'm loving how they're enabling the characters to change.

Rufus is unfortunate in having the world's worst actor playing him though. 

• Upvote 3

Delighted to see Hill cameo.

Two things:

1. Spitting image of his dad.

2. Just as bad an actor. Can't even manage one line. Just like dad.

So the consensus emerging on this is that if you've read the source comics, it's watered down CW level shit. If not, It's worth a try?

Take back what I said about Rufus. I thought it was a young actor doing a terrible job of portraying an autistic character. Turns out it's an autistic actor playing an autistic character. 

2 hours ago, MpM said:

So the consensus emerging on this is that if you've read the source comics, it's watered down CW level shit. If not, It's worth a try?

“Fans of the comic series will notice straight away that much of the violence and horror is toned down for a more family-friendly affair. The inciting event is mostly off-screen, and the surviving family members seem far too well adjusted by comparison. Bode is too young to grasp the situation, and Scott plays him with hyper mania. Tyler and Kinsey, at the other end of the spectrum, seem asleep at the wheel. The teens quickly fall into high school life, which comes with its own drama, and very rarely is it engaging. Neither is the central villain, the demonic Dodge (Layla De Oliveira). Of the 10-episode season, the front half is a slog dedicated to world-building and character setup.“

From Bloody Digusting, but  agree with the points. This isn't horror more like dark fantasy.

There was one opportunity as part of Kinsey's character arc in the first 5 episodes where they really could have gone to town on the horror element, and it was dealt with off screen. It's not much more scary than Lemony Snicket, really. 

I do disagree with the point up thread that the kids are seemingly unaffected by the family tragedy though. That's absolutely not the case. 

Yeah, there’s very little horror in this so far. It just seems kind of flat; lots of wild shit is happening but nobody seems especially fussed by it. The teen school stuff seems massively at odds with everything else. 

Definitely agree about the children though, they’ve clearly been affected by the family tragedy so claiming otherwise is a bit of a weird take.

I might just read the graphic novel (it’s ok Kindle Unlimited) and give up on the series. 

1 hour ago, Radish said:

Yeah, there’s very little horror in this so far. It just seems kind of flat; lots of wild shit is happening but nobody seems especially fussed by it. The teen school stuff seems massively at odds with everything else. 

Definitely agree about the children though, they’ve clearly been affected by the family tragedy so claiming otherwise is a bit of a weird take.

I might just read the graphic novel (it’s ok Kindle Unlimited) and give up on the series. 

Locke and Key is one  if not the best horror comic series I have read in the last decade, with the exception of Junji Ito.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, yakumo said:

Locke and Key is one  if not the best horror comic series I have read in the last decade, with the exception of Junji Ito.

I’m currently reading Clean Room at the recommendation of @noob and it’s amazing. Reminds me a lot of anime like Devil Man (the original, not Crybaby). I’ve not read Locke & Key but if you like fucked up horror it’s great.

• Upvote 1

It’s a remix of the same themes, rather than a straight adaptation. The head key is unfortunate for readers of the comic, but there’s no budget in the world which could have made the comic concept work on tv outside of full animation. As soon as you’ve got live actors, you do kind of need to make use of them.

I’m not sure the inciting event of the comics is underplayed that much - the same things appear to have happened to each character (via flashback, by episode four) - it’s just dragged out a bit more. The only big missing thing is (clearly a comics spoiler)

Dodge as Lucas, being a complete manipulative shit

Watched the whole first series over the weekend (haven't read the source). Was very slow to get going, and the ratio of boring high school stuff vs all the interesting stuff was weighted way too heavily in the former's favour for the first half of the series. Although all of that sub-Riverdale nonsense largely drops away by the back half, which makes is even more mystifying. 

Did ultimately end up enjoying it, and it was the imaginative uses of the keys that pulled us through, but it was definitely a 6/10 overall. Definitely guessed most of the twists before the end. Could have done with ratcheting up the horror a bit, but I think they decided pretty early on that they wanted that YA Stranger Things audience (alongside all the merch opportunities) and its probably the only way this series would have got the budget needed to do the keys justice. Would watch a second series, if only to see what new keys they came up with. 

Comic readers - is it very faithful to the source plot-wise?

Is this similar to the comics? Because they get rave reviews but the TV show seems to have a tepid reception.

Edit: Don’t mind me, the rest of the thread answers my lazy-ass question.

Watched it all with my 8 year old over the weekend, was pitched perfectly for him - the scares worked, the magic of the keys fired his imagination, he went to bed last night dreaming up "new" keys with powers and what he would do with them. Decent family fun, no idea how it compares against the comics. 

With a critical eye, yeah, some of it was pretty duff - the Mum who just COULD NOT KEEP TRACK OF HER KIDS while murders and Well Witches and Neighbours with Secrets just wnadered about their house was infuriating. But overall? Enjoyed it. 6/10.

I will say this though and this is a complaint about most 'prestige' TV you watch now. There's always a tragic backstory, isn't there? Some tramau that relates directly to the present, a mystery to be unpicked. I'm bored of it. What happened to stories where a normal family turns up and stuff happens to them? Or weird shit just starts one day and everyone deals with it? /oldmanyellingatcloud

If anyone here has watched this with their kids, I would strongly advise to not let them read the comics if they are under, say around 14 years old.

Kind of relieved that this seems to be disappointing some of you, as I was going to watch through gritted teeth as I despise the Ashmore brothers. I can steer clear!

Disappointed!! I have a slightly broken heart tbh and have had to apologise to people in work.  Cos I harped on about this amazing comic for years now... 

Maybe those expectations were too high. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

40 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Nah. It was shite.

It was okay if the source material didn’t exist, but as it does, then yes it was shit.